Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 03:25 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,353 times

Advertisements

there have been many threads about "hell", but few threads about paradise, how do you imagine heaven or paradise?

personally I don't like the term "heaven", it sounds like a cliche, I believe in a physical ressurection and not the immortality of the soul, I call my idea of the afterlife paradise and world to come, I think it will be a physical world, a physical paradise, though different from this world of course.

how do you imagine paradise or heaven, do you think it's a phyisical place, or rather a state of mind, do you believe in physical ressurection or the immortality of a disembodied soul?

I must admit my ideas about the afterlife and eschatology represent partly more especially Jewish thoughts then actually thoughts of traditional Christian orthodoxy (which I consider unscriptural).

I have few ideas about the world to come, but I think men will know God and we will meet our beloved ones, all men will be brothers and sisters, all men will be reconciled with each other, the offender with the victim, people who were enemies in this world will finally be friends in the world to come, there will finally exist no longer evil in the world to come, I don't believe in the eternity of evil.

However sometimes I wonder if belief is not to materialistic, physical ressurection, physical new world, many of the early Christian believed that but I sometimes wonder if I take the bible to literal, if the bible should be understood more allegorical then I do, what are your opionions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 AM

589 posts, read 1,560,708 times
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Paradise will be here on earth, a New earth.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:40 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Yes I agree. We will be resurrected to the new earth.

Scripture doesn't really talk about "going to heaven", as in going to some place up in the clouds where we float around and play harps all day.

What scripture does talk about is the KINGDOM of heaven. It even says that Kingdom is NOW. We can have eternal life NOW - which simply put is to know God (John 17:3).

I don't think it will be physical like Sven described though, because we know no flesh inherits the Kingdom. We will be raised incorruptible with spiritual bodies, and we will be part of God's Kingdom on the new earth.

All things will be made new again. I'm sure it will be more glorious than we can imagine, and I think quite a few people will be surprised.

Peace.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:38 AM

396 posts, read 598,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post

New creature, new covenant, new song, new commandment, new wine, new wineskin, new heaven and new earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity