Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,636,566 times

Advertisements

Ellen White got the date right but the event wrong? Huh? A prophet if not found 100% accurate was considered a false prophet and thus stoned to death in the old testament. The bottom line if she was wrong about that, what else was she wrong about? There's no way to tell. So ultimately Ellen White was just another person with a Bible and an opinion without Authority, aka, protestant.

Are SDA folks cultists? Probably not. As long as they have total transparency into their beliefs to the outside world and do not shield their people from the outside by hiding them behind high fences. Just another slant amongst the 32,000+ slants.

Last edited by juj; 09-18-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 PM

723 posts, read 1,047,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Ellen White got the date right but the event wrong? Huh? A prophet if not found 100% accurate was considered a false prophet and thus stoned to death in the old testament. The bottom line if she was wrong about that, what else was she wrong about? There's no way to tell. So ultimately Ellen White was just another person with a Bible and an opinion without Authority, aka, protestant.

Are SDA folks cultists? Probably not. As long as they have total transparency into their beliefs to the outside world and do not shield their people from the outside by hiding them behind high fences. Just another slant amongst the 32,000+ slants.
First, Ellen White never predicted Christ's advent in 1844. It was a man named William Miller. He was a preacher who she admired and followed as a child. It was Ellen White who later said that 1844 was the start of the cleansing of the sanctuary. Again read up more on your misinformation before you judge!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,636,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
First, Ellen White never predicted Christ's advent in 1844. It was a man named William Miller. He was a preacher who she admired and followed as a child. It was Ellen White who later said that 1844 was the start of the cleansing of the sanctuary. Again read up more on your misinformation before you judge!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
I didn't judge. Was she around and did she agree with William Miller?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 PM

723 posts, read 1,047,825 times
Quote:
I didn't judge. Was she around and did she agree with William Miller?
She was a member of his congregation so she believed that he knew what he was talking about. And in a sense he did. He had the date right but the event wrong like you said. And sorry for the accusation, but you did call her a false prophet, and said she would have been stoned to death. That is your opinion, and I expect everyone to express their opinion and beliefs. So sorry for that. But I do believe that everyone needs to read up more on Ellen White before judging her. God said test the prophets by the Bible, and her writings completely coincide with the Bible. I too wondered if she was false or not, and was very skeptical at first, but after reading her work I believe that she was truly inspired by God.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,442,116 times
Quote:
Huh? A prophet if not found 100% accurate was considered a false prophet and thus stoned to death in the old testament.

Hmm,do you have evidence of this.100% accurate is a pretty high bar.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
SDA is a cult, replete with a false prophetess.

Nowadays, many SDA's are so disconnected from their cult's prophetic teaching and have come back to relying on the Word of God, so many SDA's can be, and are, true Christians.

But as a group, as a church, they are a cult, much like the Mormons. SDA is like Mormon Lite.
I see you are still arrogantly judging and condemning fellow followers of Jesus Christ Johnny. I invite you to the "Ask a Mormon" thread if you insist on spreading the lie that the 13,500,000 living members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints choose to be faithful members of "a cult."

See you there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/516732-ask-mormon.html

Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,021,982 times
Doug Batchelor actually offers $10,000.00 to whom ever can prove the sabbath was ever changed.

He points out the Apostles kept the sabbath in the NT: Acts chapter 13, Paul preached such an outstanding sermon, the Gentiles begged that he return next Sabbath Day and preach again.

Who changes time? Dan. 7:25

Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Please explain to me how SDA is a cult? We rely on the bible and search it always in life. Yes we read Sister White, who is a woman that loved God sincerely. As you are being judgmental I assume you are not a Christian. I pray that Christians would one day follow their beliefs and stop throwing stones. Instead of you all investing time on trying to figure out what a denomination is you should focus on the Gospel. If you need me I will be reading my bible. God bless you all.

In Christ Love,
Joseph

Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,528,130 times
Default What Is Is So

Is Hebrews 4 knowledge on being a Christian ?
Does Ephesians 4:5 talk about 1,000 faiths in Christianity ?
Does man have a say in what salvation is---Isaiah 64:6 ?
Does the book explain it enough alone---Romans 3:1-4 ?
Do God's people hear him the book enough---John 10 ?
Do they hear God by the book only----Romans 10:17 ?
Can people intrepret God different in the book and
they all be right----2 Peter 1:20-21 ?
Does God have respect of person on his children hearing
him in the book enough--------James 1:5 ?
Are his children left with excuses of why they bible
ignorant too much-------1 John 2:27 ?
Are they waiting on a big shot to hear him in the book
enough-------1 John 2:27 ?
Do they have an excuse not to study enough---2 Timothy 2:15 ?
Is it a such thing as a 90% bible believer that's still a
Christian-----John 8:31 ?
Can the book editors take 10% of God out the book and confuse
John 10 people enough-----2 Timothy 3:16 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I've read alot on Seventh Day Adventists, and many people believe it is more of a cult, then a Christian Denomination.

My friend and her family belong to this Church, and the entire family are probably the best people I have met in a long time.

Of course, I visit her Church, and went to some seminars, but my problem is this:

Their beliefs in : Investigative Judgement/Atonement . . . not sure if it is biblical? Any ideas.

Cannot smoke, drink, etc. if you want membership, and I am a social smoker, and enjoy an occassional drink.

It seems somehow works based, and Sabbath based.

The seal of God they claim are those who keep the Sabbath, while other's say it is the Holy Spirit.

I'd like to hear from anyone who is knowledgeable about SDA's, Ellen White, and would like to share with me your views or opinions?

Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
I'm still trying to figure out what a cult is. It seems it's really just pretty much any church people don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity