Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,591,093 times

Advertisements

It's funny when evangelicals are afraid to name names, call out a heretic when we see one and the ones that actually do what God calls us to do is shouted down as self righteous, religious or whoooooa...worse...a Pharisee yet it so sad when it takes secularists to call men like this out as we Christians standby quietly and watch them discredit God's word, make a mockery of our Lord and chalk it up to being holy and humble, "like Jesus"

I gotta say, this is hilarious!!!!! I was impressed with Colbert's rebuttals

Bart Ehrman | April 9th | ColbertNation.com

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-17-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 PM

352 posts, read 553,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It's funny when evangelicals are afraid to name names, call out a heretic when we see one and the ones that actually do what God calls us to do is shouted down as self righteous, religious or whoooooa...worse...a Pharisee yet it so sad when it takes secularists to call men like this out as we Christians standby quietly and watch them discredit God's word, make a mockery of our Lord and chalk it up to being holy and humble, "like Jesus"

I gotta say, this is hilarious!!!!! I was impressed with Colbert's rebuttals

Bart Ehrman | April 9th | ColbertNation.com
As always, Colbert is the epitome of true wisdom. However, in regards to Ehrman, I have only read a little bit of his work; regardless, the elements incorporated into his book seem to be taken out of context of Scripture and/or out of the context of history. Nonetheless, it is a book worth reading.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,138,709 times
why buy this man's books and contribute to his misleading people AWAY from jesus!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
why buy this man's books and contribute to his misleading people AWAY from jesus!
I don't mean to read it in order to contribute to his intention, I read because Christians today need to know the arguments that are being used to stand against their beliefs and their God. We need to know these arguments and work to counter them with legitimate and potentially valid arguments that may explain what appear to be contradictions and/or misinterpretations. If one reads his introduction, he states that the content of his book comprises the basic curriculum of all seminary and graduate schools; all pastors and phds are exposed to this content. The fact that many of these people retain their faith suggests that the arguments presented aren't so concrete. If that is the case, Christians should learn these arguments and be able to apply them to their attempts at discipleship and ministry, but that is just one intellectual's opinion.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM

147 posts, read 313,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
I don't mean to read it in order to contribute to his intention, I read because Christians today need to know the arguments that are being used to stand against their beliefs and their God. We need to know these arguments and work to counter them with legitimate and potentially valid arguments that may explain what appear to be contradictions and/or misinterpretations. If one reads his introduction, he states that the content of his book comprises the basic curriculum of all seminary and graduate schools; all pastors and phds are exposed to this content. The fact that many of these people retain their faith suggests that the arguments presented aren't so concrete. If that is the case, Christians should learn these arguments and be able to apply them to their attempts at discipleship and ministry, but that is just one intellectual's opinion.
You must have misread the book. The arguments aren't meant to lead someone away from faith. In fact he said he has best friends who are still Christians and AGREE with the arguments he presented and actually helped him proofread/edit his book. Only the fundamentalist/hardcore evangelical's beliefs would be in jeopardy due to the belief the bible is not a human book; like in his case.

Personally, I'd like to know what beliefs his friends actually still hold. Since, personally I see it kind of difficult to really believe the stories in the Bible if there are problems with it. It really doesn't make Christianity stand out from other faiths if it thats the case.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
You must have misread the book. The arguments aren't meant to lead someone away from faith. In fact he said he has best friends who are still Christians and AGREE with the arguments he presented and actually helped him proofread/edit his book. Only the fundamentalist/hardcore evangelical's beliefs would be in jeopardy due to the belief the bible is not a human book; like in his case.

Personally, I'd like to know what beliefs his friends actually still hold. Since, personally I see it kind of difficult to really believe the stories in the Bible if there are problems with it. It really doesn't make Christianity stand out from other faiths if it thats the case.
Yes, I read that part in the conclusion. However, in the intro, he makes it clear that the content of his book is filled with faith shaking concepts and theories, as he indicated in the first chapter's introduction. He may not have intended to lead people away from their faith, but he was providing "evidence" that supposedly made the Bible out to be the product of man and not of God, which would definately hurt any and all Christians' faith, at least those who aren't versed in biblical languages, history, and other areas of study.

In regards to the last part, I would too like to know more about his friends. Regardless of one's reasons, I think the book is still worth reading for any intellectual (atheist or Christian).

Old 07-19-2009, 05:03 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,082,999 times
That was classic.

ehrman is just one more in the line of heretics spouting "new" ways of looking at it. In reality, there is nothing new under the sun. We've heard it all before, and it's been handled.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Yes, I read that part in the conclusion. However, in the intro, he makes it clear that the content of his book is filled with faith shaking concepts and theories, as he indicated in the first chapter's introduction. He may not have intended to lead people away from their faith, but he was providing "evidence" that supposedly made the Bible out to be the product of man and not of God, which would definately hurt any and all Christians' faith, at least those who aren't versed in biblical languages, history, and other areas of study.

In regards to the last part, I would too like to know more about his friends. Regardless of one's reasons, I think the book is still worth reading for any intellectual (atheist or Christian).
Yah the book is definitely worth the read. However, the arguments he uses are very persuasive in my opinion. I am very skeptical about the Bible being really a book from God.

In my eyes those who reject the obvious contradictions in his book are similar to those who reject strong evidence for evolution and/or the actual age of the earth. They know the evidence is there.. some even say its pretty persuading... but in the end its cast it out because of a feeling or belief.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That was classic.

ehrman is just one more in the line of heretics spouting "new" ways of looking at it. In reality, there is nothing new under the sun. We've heard it all before, and it's been handled.
First off Ehrman does NOT say his views are new. He states that they have been around for decades/centuries. He merely selected those he found interesting/informative and put them in a book together. For your sake KD, its a good practice to get background on a subject before making comments on it.

Also, do you realize how much knowledge has be gained from people who were seen as "heretics" in their time?

Excerpt from Galileo's wikipedia page:

Quote:
After 1610, when he began supporting heliocentrism publicly, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. Although he was cleared of any offence at that time, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture" in February 1616,[8] and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy," forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.
Maybe you should really take some time to reconsider what you said.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM

33,591 posts, read 37,230,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That was classic.

Yeah right, it's been handled alright, but has it been handled honestly? Apologetic sites handle everything, but get no points for honesty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity