Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:44 AM

22 posts, read 22,341 times

Advertisements

I think we should get 100 Christian families and buy a hotel and live there. Here me out before instantly mocking the idea. Let’s assume the average family size is 4 people….so that’s 400 people that would live in the hotel. Let’s assume that all the men have jobs, and just a few of the wives/kids have job, and that the average NET income is just $45,000 yearly. That adds up to $4.5 million combined income for the 100 families. That’s 100 less mortgages that would have to be paid each year……since we all live in 1 home(hotel). I did the math on what it costs to run a hotel (gas, electricity, insurance, etc…) and also the average monthly cost per family(food, phone, car gas, etc…). It came out to about $2.32 million per year for all 100 familes. So……$4.5 million – $2.32 million = $2.18 million EXTRA each year. Which comes out to $21,800 each year….which is $1816 each month EXTRA per family. Who uses $1816 every months AFTER the bills/food/gas is paid for?!!?

-We could use the extra money to help the poor/needy. We could even buy some land and live off the land(cattle, and vegetable/fruit garden). We could build more churches. We could support more missionaries financially. We could buy some gold/silver incase economy crashes. We could do A LOT with that extra money…..other than spending it on ourselves for foolish things.
-We would constantly be surrounded by other Christians in a hotel. It would increase accountability. Our prayers lives would get better. We could all study Scripture together and be more united in our beliefs(rather than millions of Christians who are so isolated and study on their own in the privacy of their homes and get confused and have no one to talk to and we end up with thousands of different beliefs).
-We wouldn’t have as much “stuff” and idols in our lives to distract us and hinder our relationship with Christ. We’d live in smaller hotel rooms….not huge houses. We couldn’t fit as much junk into our rooms. Our focus/time would be on Jesus more often.

- Yes….we won’t have as much privacy. But that’s how it used to be!! They used to live in tents and in small communities. And I think their faith back then was much stronger than what most Christians have these days. They we’rent so distracted with worldly things. They held eachother accountable more easily. They prayed together. Ate together. Did everything together. Grew in faith together. So why can’t we do that these days?!?!? We are so focused on me me me me me me, and what I want, and how comfortable I want to be, and how easy I want life to be, and how I want to do things my own way. We isolate ourselves and live in our own little world. How about we focus on what God wants? Let’s focus on what would benefit our Christian walk? Let’s sacrifice some pleasures/comforts of this world.

-I know it’s highly unlikely to find 100 families to do this. But there are very few negatives to the idea. And there are tons of benefits. The Amish are able to do it…..so why can’t we!?!?. But they are doing it to separate themselves from the world. We Christians would do it so that would get more involved in the world. Give more. Help more. Share the Gospel more. Love the world more. Our initial reaction to this ideas is to scoff at it. But that's because we're so used to living in our own homes and being on our own. We all hate change....and get defensive and fights against it. Again.....step back, and look at the big picture. What's more beneficial to the Kingdom? How can we reach the lost better? What would benefit our own faith better?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times
They should consecrate the hotel and become a monastery commune....

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,096,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwitzy View Post
I think we should get 100 Christian families and buy a hotel and live there. Here me out before instantly mocking the idea. Let’s assume the average family size is 4 people….so that’s 400 people that would live in the hotel. Let’s assume that all the men have jobs, and just a few of the wives/kids have job, and that the average NET income is just $45,000 yearly. That adds up to $4.5 million combined income for the 100 families. That’s 100 less mortgages that would have to be paid each year……since we all live in 1 home(hotel). I did the math on what it costs to run a hotel (gas, electricity, insurance, etc…) and also the average monthly cost per family(food, phone, car gas, etc…). It came out to about $2.32 million per year for all 100 familes. So……$4.5 million – $2.32 million = $2.18 million EXTRA each year. Which comes out to $21,800 each year….which is $1816 each month EXTRA per family. Who uses $1816 every months AFTER the bills/food/gas is paid for?!!?

-We could use the extra money to help the poor/needy. We could even buy some land and live off the land(cattle, and vegetable/fruit garden). We could build more churches. We could support more missionaries financially. We could buy some gold/silver incase economy crashes. We could do A LOT with that extra money…..other than spending it on ourselves for foolish things.
-We would constantly be surrounded by other Christians in a hotel. It would increase accountability. Our prayers lives would get better. We could all study Scripture together and be more united in our beliefs(rather than millions of Christians who are so isolated and study on their own in the privacy of their homes and get confused and have no one to talk to and we end up with thousands of different beliefs).
-We wouldn’t have as much “stuff” and idols in our lives to distract us and hinder our relationship with Christ. We’d live in smaller hotel rooms….not huge houses. We couldn’t fit as much junk into our rooms. Our focus/time would be on Jesus more often.

- Yes….we won’t have as much privacy. But that’s how it used to be!! They used to live in tents and in small communities. And I think their faith back then was much stronger than what most Christians have these days. They we’rent so distracted with worldly things. They held eachother accountable more easily. They prayed together. Ate together. Did everything together. Grew in faith together. So why can’t we do that these days?!?!? We are so focused on me me me me me me, and what I want, and how comfortable I want to be, and how easy I want life to be, and how I want to do things my own way. We isolate ourselves and live in our own little world. How about we focus on what God wants? Let’s focus on what would benefit our Christian walk? Let’s sacrifice some pleasures/comforts of this world.

-I know it’s highly unlikely to find 100 families to do this. But there are very few negatives to the idea. And there are tons of benefits. The Amish are able to do it…..so why can’t we!?!?. But they are doing it to separate themselves from the world. We Christians would do it so that would get more involved in the world. Give more. Help more. Share the Gospel more. Love the world more. Our initial reaction to this ideas is to scoff at it. But that's because we're so used to living in our own homes and being on our own. We all hate change....and get defensive and fights against it. Again.....step back, and look at the big picture. What's more beneficial to the Kingdom? How can we reach the lost better? What would benefit our own faith better?

Thoughts?
They tried that...Remember the 60's?...There were communes spread out all over the mid-west for isolation from the world...Do you remember Jim Jones?...More recently David Koresh?...Heaven's Gate's Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles?...

Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM

22 posts, read 22,341 times
I'm not trying to isolate myself from the world. I'm wanting to do the commune to get MORE involved in the world. By living together in a commune, we would have TONS more money to give to the world. More money = less time having to work = more time we can spend with the lost. One house(hotel) = less cleaning = more time with the lost. Living together would build our faith = more passion to share the Gospel and spend time with the lost. The entire purpose of it would be to NOT remove ourselves from the world.....but to build our faith and send more people INTO the world to share the Good News. I think we've become so isolated from the world as it is being that we live in our own homes. We've become fat and lazy and everything is about us. We have no energy to even talk to our next door neighbor. A commune would force us to be involved into eachothers lives and grow our faith and build friendships.....which would lead to more encouragement and discipline to go into the world and be friendly and loving and share the Gospel. It's just an idea. I just think our world is falling apart....and it's not going in the right direction. What we're doing isn't working obviously. So I think we need a radical change/strategy to fire up the people of God again.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,940,071 times
Sign me up, now are there 98 more?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,415,227 times
Communal living is a pretty central human experience, probably the dominant lifestyle until the modern era excluding the pockets of urbanity in which individualism arose.

The disciples and Jesus himself created an intentional community within the increasingly crowded, formerly tribal/nomadic, lands around the 'Holy Land'.

One could say that communal living is presented as the norm in a Christian worldview, and there are several contemporary examples of its practice in the West today, the Amish, Hutterites, some of the LDS and its splinter groups, and of course most of the major and minor Christian cults like Jim Jones's and David Koresh's communities as well as many innocuous communes and such.

Even in socially fragmented, individualistic urban contexts, most Christians seem to create communities in their churches that are held as distinct and closer than that of the parishioners' geographic neighborhoods.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,672,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwitzy View Post

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Sign me up, now are there 98 more?
Sounds like an excellant idea ! Count me in ! ...oh....and don't forget...I rest from ALL work on Sabbath...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,940,071 times
Okay, I don't eat pork.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
I prefer the wilderness .

Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,944,570 times
IMHO, this is such a bad idea on so many levels, I don't even know where to start. Ever hear of "New Harmony Baptist Church." Yes, the group that left Harmony Baptist had to start a new church. There are usually conflicts in congregations. What do you think would be the case if everyone lived together??? WAR!!!!!
Even Paul and Barnabus had to go their separate ways.

Besides, Christians are supposed to go out and evangelize, share their faith, and demonstate their faith in how they live their lives, not wall themselves behind closed doors. Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. That's the kind of things God expects us to do also. Remember the monastaries in the medieval times? No, COUNT ME OUT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity