Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

I am just totally amazed at the extremism, the wide disparity of opinion and doctrine expressed on this forum. What happened to the simplicity of the gospel?
Like, for example: who will, and will not, be saved. Most of my life I was taught by my pastors and teachers for decades that the gospel is fairly simple. That by faith, one can come to Jesus, ask forgiveness of their sin, ask for Him to save them, and ask Him to help us live a daily life of newness in faith, newness in the spirit...to become a new creature in Christ.

But now, in reading various threads, I see so many are saying that "no, it's not like that", that EVERYONE will eventually be saved, including the most vile, sinful, anti-God, satanic persons who have ever lived. (!) (I can just picture God dragging them screaming and protesting into Heaven...like it or not, faith or no faith, they're gonna go!...)

Then there is the other extreme: you can become a believer, get saved, then are "kinda-sorta ok", until you commit the slightest little sin (doesn't matter what it is) That you gotta walk on egg shells all your life, worrying that you might screw up. And that if you do, then you are hopelessly and totally lost again. But, not just "plain old lost" like before: now you are really lost, because now there is no more forgiveness from God for you! You are history! Like, might as well stop going to church...doesn't matter that you still believe, because now all hope is gone. (better carry a bottle of pills for those jittery nerves, knowing that you might screw up at any moment...) (oh wait...that might be a sin too...)

Just had to comment at all the recent bickering and arguing back and forth (however polite it may be) over who is, or isn't, going to "make it". We have made salvation so utterly complicated. I still believe it's a simple choice, just like the Bible says: "choose ye this day whom you will serve"... (who have you chosen to serve?) It's a daily choice. It is people (churches) who make it so highly complicated and difficult: "you gotta do this, you gotta do that, you can't do this, you can't do that, you can't wear this, you can't wear that, you can listen to this music but not that music, you have to believe how we believe, you gotta join our church, you have to agree with our doctrine", blah, blah, etc, etc...the "special rules" are endless...

Are you a Christian who's "screwed up"? (haven't we all) Got away from God? Got involved in some sin? Well, stop! Come on back! Ask the Lord to forgive you! Then serve Him! There is hope for all who will come to Him!

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default I concur..

I too have seen the extremes and become disappointed and frustrated.

Mind you, I don't mind having a conversation about differing viewpoints, different beliefs about hell or sin, but it's gotten well beyond simple discussion. It's turned into rants and arguments. Such a shame. I know others believe their view is the most important and the other view is wrong (goes for all sides) and this then ramps it up, so to speak.

However, I believe God is God and He is in control. He has preserved His word for thousands of years and He will continue to preserve His word.

I believe in the simplicity of the gospel:

1) Romans 10:9 (NIV) = That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

== and ==

2) Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV) = Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." <emphasis mine>

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I am just totally amazed at the extremism, the wide disparity of opinion and doctrine expressed on this forum. What happened to the simplicity of the gospel?
Like, for example: who will, and will not, be saved. Most of my life I was taught by my pastors and teachers for decades that the gospel is fairly simple. That by faith, one can come to Jesus, ask forgiveness of their sin, ask for Him to save them, and ask Him to help us live a daily life of newness in faith, newness in the spirit...to become a new creature in Christ.

But now, in reading various threads, I see so many are saying that "no, it's not like that", that EVERYONE will eventually be saved, including the most vile, sinful, anti-God, satanic persons who have ever lived. (!) (I can just picture God dragging them screaming and protesting into Heaven...like it or not, faith or no faith, they're gonna go!...)

Then there is the other extreme: you can become a believer, get saved, then are "kinda-sorta ok", until you commit the slightest little sin (doesn't matter what it is) That you gotta walk on egg shells all your life, worrying that you might screw up. And that if you do, then you are hopelessly and totally lost again. But, not just "plain old lost" like before: now you are really lost, because now there is no more forgiveness from God for you! You are history! Like, might as well stop going to church...doesn't matter that you still believe, because now all hope is gone. (better carry a bottle of pills for those jittery nerves, knowing that you might screw up at any moment...) (oh wait...that might be a sin too...)

Just had to comment at all the recent bickering and arguing back and forth (however polite it may be) over who is, or isn't, going to "make it". We have made salvation so utterly complicated. I still believe it's a simple choice, just like the Bible says: "choose ye this day whom you will serve"... (who have you chosen to serve?) It's a daily choice. It is people (churches) who make it so highly complicated and difficult: "you gotta do this, you gotta do that, you can't do this, you can't do that, you can't wear this, you can't wear that, you can listen to this music but not that music, you have to believe how we believe, you gotta join our church, you have to agree with our doctrine", blah, blah, etc, etc...the "special rules" are endless...

Are you a Christian who's "screwed up"? (haven't we all) Got away from God? Got involved in some sin? Well, stop! Come on back! Ask the Lord to forgive you! Then serve Him! There is hope for all who will come to Him!

Bud
Nice work, Bud.

I concur as well

When I see people listing 20 Bible verses in bold letters, spread from Matthew to the Revelations, it's just complicated.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Hi, differences in beliefs on some of these subjects have been in existence down through time. It is not a new thing. It is good to study God's word and discuss. These are discussion forums and I am thankful that we can share with one another. Hopefully all are seeking the truth. God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
There has always been, and will always be, those who want to twist or alter the simplicity of the gospel.

It's nothing new, and will continue until He returns....

Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Bud, the gospel is really simple:

"God will have all mankind to be saved for . . . Christ ransomed all" (1 Timothy 2:4).

You just have to believe it like a child.

God is not going to drag anyone screaming and crying into heaven. He is going to change them first from dying sinning creatures to having immortality and righteousness all based upon what His Son did. But they won't be saved at the same time we are:

"God is the Saviour of all mankind, ESPECIALLY them that believe." So the believers get an especial salvation the unbeliever does not get. We get to experience life in the oncoming ages which the unbeliever does not get to experience. We get to experience being headed up in the Christ first (Eph.1:9) and experiencing the reconciliation of the universe first (Col.1:20,21).

Get it? It is really simple. It is the gospel . . . the good news. . . not the bad news that God is a pathetic loser who is going to lose the majority of mankind as you propose.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Bud, the gospel is really simple:

"God will have all mankind to be saved for . . . Christ ransomed all" (1 Timothy 2:4).

You just have to believe it like a child.

God is not going to drag anyone screaming and crying into heaven. He is going to change them first from dying sinning creatures to having immortality and righteousness all based upon what His Son did. But they won't be saved at the same time we are:

"God is the Saviour of all mankind, ESPECIALLY them that believe." So the believers get an especial salvation the unbeliever does not get. We get to experience life in the oncoming ages which the unbeliever does not get to experience. We get to experience being headed up in the Christ first (Eph.1:9) and experiencing the reconciliation of the universe first (Col.1:20,21).

Get it? It is really simple. It is the gospel . . . the good news. . . not the bad news that God is a pathetic loser who is going to lose the majority of mankind as you propose.
SIMPLE ...... and absolutely glorious!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Indeed meerkat2, simple and absolutely glorious! It is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD NEWZZZZZ!!!!

I just don't know how someone can be upset with such a grand goal God has.

Eusebius

Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
This forum has become somewhat overrun by universalists and their ilk.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the complex stuff happened when people began to talk the talk but not walk the walk.
we used to worship 1 god, (no other gods b4 me)
we now worship 3
god of the office - the bottom line
god of the home - harmony at absolutely any price
god of the church - impression management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity