Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I realize this does not answer your questions, but I need for you to clarify something first.

How is it that I hear on the news from the current administration that the economy is bad, the tent cities are not secret, but yet, you say the government doesn't want us to know?

I'm not following what your saying, please explain.
What I am saying that the number of there growth is not being acknowledge at the level it should ( i.e. percentage, economic status involvement etc) Just like the events before, during and after Hurricane Katrina was not publized as it should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
... Welcome to the new world order ... Its called redistribution of wealth. American Government bailing out wall street and special interest groups instead of the American people.

This issue can be a touchy subject, but for the sake of discussion, I have written several letters to local officials talking about such things. For one I do not mind my tax dollars going to help people in need, but bailing out an individual would be better served if they was able to either get a job or keep the one they have if there is help for a company.

I do know that within all this it can get very messy as politicians scrambles for their piece of the action, I don't intend to argue as if I have a great solution. I am only seeing it from the standpoint of jobs helping people more than just cutting them a check that only helps them temporarily.

With that said, I encourage people to write their government officials with ideas to help the economy if you have them.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
What I am saying that the number of there growth is not being acknowledge at the level it should ( i.e. percentage, economic status involvement etc) Just like the events before, during and after Hurricane Katrina was not publized as it should have been.

I don't know, how much more news does anyone need to figure out how crappy of a situation katrina was? I mean really....

Any kind of tent city can be seen as a bad deal, when it comes down to it, if there is more news coverage with more americans who aren't in the tent cities just sitting doing nothing anyway, what difference does it make.

Now as far as your questions.

I do not attend church but of the church people I know none of their churches are doing anything but praying. People can critize me but prayer is the easy way out of responsibility.

Am I prepared to live in such circumstances? I'm not sure a person can ever be prepared for everything. If it comes my way, it comes, I'll deal with it then.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I don't know, how much more news does anyone need to figure out how crappy of a situation katrina was? I mean really....

Any kind of tent city can be seen as a bad deal, when it comes down to it, if there is more news coverage with more americans who aren't in the tent cities just sitting doing nothing anyway, what difference does it make.

Now as far as your questions.

I do not attend church but of the church people I know none of their churches are doing anything but praying. People can critize me but prayer is the easy way out of responsibility.

Am I prepared to live in such circumstances? I'm not sure a person can ever be prepared for everything. If it comes my way, it comes, I'll deal with it then.
After all the hoopla of CNN exposure was over. Many didn't realize people were still dying a year later from exposure to chemicals and waste that killed everything in the area including plants and became airborne once dried up as people tried to come back and salvage their home and property causing unexplainable infection in these people; gang members taking control before the government stepped in and how criminals were released only to molest/rape children and women. I moved back to the Midwest for three years and many people were more aware of the animals left behind than the aftermath affecting the people of Katrina. Also a man from Holland came to New Orleans several years before Katrina hit and he told those in N.O that they need to have an evacuation plan and provide people (ironically) "tents" to live in. They just brushed him off and said "American don't live in tents." Well, guess what Americans are doing...living in Tent Cities. And after Katrina when he interviewed about the situation regarding Katrina, he began to cry saying he tried to warn them but they didn't listen; he kind of blame himself as you watch him during this interview.

But back to my OP. If awareness is raised, then the church "might" do there part (as they did during Katrina) to help these individuals and families living in these tents. These events don't go unnoticed by God...he wants to see what we as believers would do for people...will we just be hearers of the word or doers of the word.

Last edited by eyewrist; 07-24-2009 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
There are plenty of needy people in every city--not just tent cities.

If your church doesn't have a benevolence fund, talk to your pastor. Start one.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,738 times
These "tent cities" are so sad. I had no idea that they even existed until my trip "out and about" a few weeks ago. There are camp grounds that are filled with what they call "permanent residents." We tried to find a camping area for our camper and looked everywhere we could. We were told the same story over and over. No vacancies due to not only vacationers, but because of people who have lost their homes. I do not know if this is what is being called "tent cities"...but it would seem like it should be taken notice of.

Sometimes my mind is focused on our city and I do not realize what the "outside" world is like...it was a wake up call. We live in a small town which hasn't really been hit very hard by the economy...the only news we have to validate that the economy is poor is the people who are moving here from the bigger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity