Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There's nothing wrong in encouraging children to do their own individual prayers, rather than make them assemble in a place and force one prayer on all.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
Should they put prayer back in school
That statement in absurd. What has been removed is an official, teacher/administration led prayer mandated by the school board. There is absolutely no way an individual can be prevented from saying any prayer they wish, whenever they wish. It is silly statements like yours that continue to misrepresent the freedoms we do have by trying to make it seem as though we have lost a freedom. We haven't. We have, instead, become freer to pray as we are led to by the Holy Spirit, not by the school.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
That statement in absurd. What has been removed is an official, teacher/administration led prayer mandated by the school board. There is absolutely no way an individual can be prevented from saying any prayer they wish, whenever they wish. It is silly statements like yours that continue to misrepresent the freedoms we do have by trying to make it seem as though we have lost a freedom. We haven't. We have, instead, become freer to pray as we are led to by the Holy Spirit, not by the school.
Well said!!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
That's right! Any kid, teacher or administrator is free to bow their head and pray to any god they like, anytime, anywhere on school property.

What they CANNOT do is engage in officially sanctioned, mandatory prayer which everyone has to participate in. That's how it should be!

"Wait," you say. "Aren't you a fundamentalist Southern Baptist Sunday school teacher?"

I sure am, and I still think mandatory prayers shouldn't be allowed. Not only does it fly in the face of the Constitution, it might force some child, even my grandkids, to participate in praying to some god they don't worship. Frankly, I don't think I'd like my grandkids being compelled to sit through a prayer to Giaia or Allah or Buddha, any more than those folks would like their kids having to sit through a prayer offered in the name of Jesus.

And, don't think for a moment that wouldn't happen, because if a forced prayer to my God is allowed, there's no way to prevent prayers to any other "god" too. The Dallas City Council (I think it was Dallas ) found that out a few years ago when they decided to strike a blow for religious freedom and voted to open every meeting with a prayer. Predictably, a local Wiccan priest volunteered to lead one of those prayers and they couldn't legally turn him down. Not surprisingly, they quickly got off that idea!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
Should they put prayer back in school. If you go to Phila.PA high school the muslim are able to go into a classroom and pray. Should we be able to do the same thing
I don't see why not. I feel that if people pray they should have the place provided for them to pray. There can be a place provided for them away from the people.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a "moment of silence". The kids who want to pray can do so in that peaceful moment. Those who don't pray, can possibly just... STOP for a minute, and just be still and maybe reflect a little. Everything is so fast-paced, that maybe a moment of silence might be something that everyone can use.

Well, maybe it's dumb. I don't know...
just a thought.

Has nothing to do with prayer in schools.
but someone COULD use that time to pray if they wish.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a "moment of silence". The kids who want to pray can do so in that peaceful moment. Those who don't pray, can possibly just... STOP for a minute, and just be still and maybe reflect a little. Everything is so fast-paced, that maybe a moment of silence might be something that everyone can use.

Well, maybe it's dumb. I don't know...
just a thought.

Has nothing to do with prayer in schools.
but someone COULD use that time to pray if they wish.
We use to have this when I taught in VAB, .sparrow. Some people prayed, some reflected on preparing to learn for the day, ect. God bless.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t pray in school. I pray in the parking lot prior to entering as well as continual prayer while I’m visiting our kids’ schools. I haven’t been arrested yet; maybe this year? Guess what I do prior to and while I’m attending all school meetings, including school board meetings?

Interesting topic, I haven’t witnessed any prayer police yet. Maybe they are undercover and unwilling to confront me, or the kids, on this issue for obvious reasons?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM

68 posts, read 163,554 times
Well my child was blessing his food at school and his teacher told him that he can't say in Jesus name he have to just say God. I think you should be aloud to pray if needed. I don't have nothing against the muslim people but if a public school recomend a whole floor for you then why aren't we as christain fighting for our God. In North Carolina they was praying in the public schools. Yes we are free to pray anywhere in private but if a kid go to school and want to bless his food then why can't they end it the right way. It seem to me we as his children get sloppy sometime and thats how we loose out. Look at our country, What yr was it that they tried to take the ten comandments down off of .... even though we won but still now we have to battle the right to homosexual. I love people don't get me wrong but I hate those nasty spirits and so did Jesus! So please don't take this the wrong way and go out sayin that I hate people who are homo because Jesus love everybody and I must live Holy and Righteous to be able to live with God. Not loving other can keep you from getting in.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I would be talking to the administration if it were me. Under NO circumstances do I accept a teacher telling my kids how or when to pray or what to pray or what not to pray. It is NONE of their business if a student wants to pray. I would be as adamant about this as I would if it were a muslim, pagan, heathen, hindu.......whatever.

If the administration did not support me I would contact the ACLU or one of the groups that defend the private right to pray and sue the school. That teacher was WAY out of line.

And frankly, I am a little ticked at you for letting the teacher get away with it..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity