Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,215,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotep View Post
when you pray to Jesus now how do you see him in your head?

no image at all of Jesus in your head?

also do you believe he is coming back?
I'll continue to press the issue of images. First, let's obey the commandment given to the children of Israel:

Quote:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God... (Exodus 20:4-5)
So what's the big deal with forming an image? Psalm 50:21: "You thought I was like you"; and that's a dangerous thing to do. It doesn't change God, but it changes us - to accept a form that is less than what He is. Since the dawn of history, man has made an image of what he thought was deity, scratching out carvings on cave walls of animals and humans with various heads and bodies, and so on - all images of created things, not even a form of godliness.

Perverted notions about God soon rot the religion in which they appear. The long career of Israel demonstrates this clearly enough, and the history of the Church confirms it. So necessary to the Church is a lofty concept of God that when that concept in any measure declines, the Church with her worship and her moral standards declines along with it.
The first step down for any church is taken when it surrenders its high opinion of God.

- A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM

208 posts, read 350,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Your OP makes several assumptions. You pre-suppose that God and Jesus are one and the same, Christianity has debated this since it's inception. Overlooking this and answering you (which you have avoided with my inquiries as well as others in this thread) here is my opinion.

I see Jesus as a multi-racial individual. I see Jesus having physical qualities and attributes that enable him to be envisioned differently based on the believer.

As to g*d, you presupppose a gender of male. I often refer to the g*d of my understanding as a female. When I do this I seek an inquiry, but my understanding truly ascribes no gender to g*d. I do not see form, I do not see images, I see power and infinite capacity for understanding.

The questions I previously asked were intended to bring forth constructive conversation. Apparently you do not see the value.

My humility is such that I do not believe my prayers are enough for any cause, and that improvement occurs when we all come together to pray in unison.

do you believe in the Bible and are you a follower of it?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Once again, simple and profound...and skipped. lol Hope you're doing well, L Elmer.

Jesus was not spirit.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Quote:
thanks for an honest answer,

now that image you pray to in your head is God Jesus right?
Well, I pray to God the Father in Jesus Name . . .when I do that, I have another image . . .

When I pray directly to Jesus . . . .it's Jeffrey Hunter . . .Brown Hair, Green Eyes, Gaunt Face, Long Dark Skin . . Olive Complextion

When I envision the Holy Spirit and when I ask for a Hedge of Protection, I view the Holy Spirit as another image

Images just make it easier to personify/relate to . . . but all three are God, all God, but three separate, Father God, Son God and Holy Spirit God. That's my present belief.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Jesus was not spirit.
Man was made a living spirit - besides, why are you fixed on the earthly shell instead of the present? Again, as He said - God is spirit, and we must worship Him in like manner.

Article 1 of the London Confession (whatever that is, but I agree with it) says: “That God as He is in himself, cannot be comprehended of any but Himself, dwelling in that inaccessible light, that no eye can attain unto, whom never man saw, now can see.”

This confession brings us to two conclusions:

First, the only way we can know God is by His revelation. If God is incomprehensible, then He must reveal Himself to us. This is grace; He is not obligated to pass along such an awesome gift.

This also means, as A.W. Tozer has said, that “Left to ourselves we tend immediately to reduce God to manageable terms”. Is your vision of God too small and manageable? He has revealed Himself so that we will not be left with our small views but be confronted with a massive view of who He is. He has also promised that if we seek Him, He will reveal Himself (Jer 29:13, Mt 7:7-11).

Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Well, I pray to God the Father in Jesus Name . . .when I do that, I have another image . . .

When I pray directly to Jesus . . . .it's Jeffrey Hunter . . .Brown Hair, Green Eyes, Gaunt Face, Long Dark Skin . . Olive Complextion

When I envision the Holy Spirit and when I ask for a Hedge of Protection, I view the Holy Spirit as another image

Images just make it easier to personify/relate to . . . but all three are God, all God, but three separate, Father God, Son God and Holy Spirit God. That's my present belief.

but God said do not pray to images, the picture of Jesus you have in your head, is an Image.

how do you solved this problem?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Man was made a living spirit - besides, why are you fixed on the earthly shell instead of the present? Again, as He said - God is spirit, and we must worship Him in like manner.

Article 1 of the London Confession (whatever that is, but I agree with it) says: “That God as He is in himself, cannot be comprehended of any but Himself, dwelling in that inaccessible light, that no eye can attain unto, whom never man saw, now can see.”

This confession brings us to two conclusions:

First, the only way we can know God is by His revelation. If God is incomprehensible, then He must reveal Himself to us. This is grace; He is not obligated to pass along such an awesome gift.

This also means, as A.W. Tozer has said, that “Left to ourselves we tend immediately to reduce God to manageable terms”. Is your vision of God too small and manageable? He has revealed Himself so that we will not be left with our small views but be confronted with a massive view of who He is. He has also promised that if we seek Him, He will reveal Himself (Jer 29:13, Mt 7:7-11).
you still believe Jesus is God right?

or has that change?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
you still believe Jesus is God right?
His begotten Son -Yes!!!!!!

You seem to think that the only thing real is what you've seen with your eyes. That's what I'm pointing out - He is unlike created.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,745,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
That's kind of odd. I've never in my life seen a picture of Jesus depicting him with blond hair!

The pictures and paintings I have seen, usually picture him with brown hair. Never blond.
Really?
Well here's a few for you.
I was looking at images from old European paintings and it's difficult to find an image of Jesus where he is depicted as a blond.
I imagine it's an American thing.
He looks kinda .... ummmm, "white".

Could You Pray To A Black God?-jesus-christ-teacher-savior.jpg

Could You Pray To A Black God?-jesus-christ-1.jpg

Could You Pray To A Black God?-jesus-christ-head.jpg

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,799,007 times
The top two look blond. So? Do you have a problem with people who have blond hair?

Quote:
He looks kinda .... ummmm, "white".
And...........?

Being Jewish, I imagine when He was here, on earth, he had dark brown hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity