Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,293,786 times

Advertisements

How does stringing lights on your house and a tree honor God? How does eating pumpkin pie honor God? Plenty of things we do are just for fun and have nothing to do with God or religion.

We celebrate big here in Denver. Last year we turned the lights off after handing out 400 pieces of candy! Our neighborhood pumpkin carving party in the park is this weekend when we carve jack-o-lanterns, drink cider and bring cookies, treats, etc. It's a social gathering, not devil worship! Kids love it and look forward to wearing costumes. I loved it as a kid, and never associated it with anything satanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,695,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How does stringing lights on your house and a tree honor God? How does eating pumpkin pie honor God? Plenty of things we do are just for fun and have nothing to do with God or religion.

We celebrate big here in Denver. Last year we turned the lights off after handing out 400 pieces of candy! Our neighborhood pumpkin carving party in the park is this weekend when we carve jack-o-lanterns, drink cider and bring cookies, treats, etc. It's a social gathering, not devil worship! Kids love it and look forward to wearing costumes. I loved it as a kid, and never associated it with anything satanic.
This will be my first of the holidays in Denver, peoples houses here are already decorated with tombstones and skulls and witches. It is really neat. One time a year everyone will open there doors to each other just to be nice. I tell ya reading some of these posts makes me really sad. People seem to want to make everything evil. What happened to just having fun and enjoying life and neighbors? I dont know a kid out there that thinks that Halloween has anything to do with evil they just think it is a time to get free candy and dress up.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

It honors God to see all the parents and children AND community gathering together to have a good, fun, tooth-rotting time!

It honors God that we live life to the fullest!

This celebration in Seattle is to mourn the coming loss of the sun for the next 6 months... IMO

Old 10-22-2009, 04:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,733,510 times
Interesting post katjonjj as Seattle is one of the spiritually darkest cities in our country. I lived in Vancouver, WA for many years and know the state well. During Halloween it has even more of an oppression than usual.

My daughter has never liked Halloween, and that is even before we ever said anything to her. She'd rather hang out at home than go trick-or-treating. Neither of my kids are really into candy or sweets. But put a chocolate cake or ice cream in front of them and don't plan on sharing.

I do realize that Halloween is not overtly evil when we look at the average kid's costume, candy etc. I'm talking about looking past the surface. If you want to stay on the surface of fun pumpkins, candy etc then have fun. That is not what I'm talking about. Go to history.com and see how Halloween first started. If anything Americans commercialized it and toned down the spiritual aspect of it.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Interesting post katjonjj as Seattle is one of the spiritually darkest cities in our country. I lived in Vancouver, WA for many years and know the state well. During Halloween it has even more of an oppression than usual.

My daughter has never liked Halloween, and that is even before we ever said anything to her. She'd rather hang out at home than go trick-or-treating. Neither of my kids are really into candy or sweets. But put a chocolate cake or ice cream in front of them and don't plan on sharing.

I do realize that Halloween is not overtly evil when we look at the average kid's costume, candy etc. I'm talking about looking past the surface. If you want to stay on the surface of fun pumpkins, candy etc then have fun. That is not what I'm talking about. Go to history.com and see how Halloween first started. If anything Americans commercialized it and toned down the spiritual aspect of it.
If you kids have no interest, well then you don't need to worry about it. Maybe someday they will. I don't believe in God, but besides that why do I or anyone need to know the origins? What purpose does it serve? If that is not what is in your heart and you dont follow the original beliefs what harm does it do? A lot of people enjoy scary movies and thins, I one of them, just gives a rush nothing more. In no way does that equate to evil? And another what does Seattle is the spiritually dark mean? I used to live there and I dont get what you mean by that.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,733,510 times
Nea -- what I mean about Seattle being spiritually dark is that it's a very godless city, for that matter the northwest itself is extremely godless. More than that, Seattle is known to be one of the hotspots for satanism and other occultic activities.

In regards to scary movies, yesterday at school my 5th grade daughter was completely freaked out because during her media center hour they had the kids watch Ichabod Crane and the headless horseman. She freaked because it scared her so bad. I was very proud of my little girl because she decided to not watch the movie and was allowed to sit out in the hallway until it was over. Her teacher came up and asked her why she was in the hall. My almost 11 year old daughter told the teacher that the movie was scary and that what they were showing didn't honor God. (her exact words). Teacher was a bit puzzled by the comment but nothing more.

Look at it this way -- say for a moment you believe in a holy God and heaven exists. Heaven is good, awesome and beautiful. Now would you imagine Jason, Freddy or any ghoul to be in heaven? Would there be anything scary there?

We're talking death, dismemberment, suicide, killing, mass murder and all out gore. How is any of that going to affect you or me? I'm gonna pee my pants, scream and get outta there. I just can't see the fun in it, or anything else.

However - big however here. However, if you don't believe in God then truly what I've written doesn't apply to you. It's meant for Christians, which means followers of Christ. I wanted to know what Christ followers thought of Halloween.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Nea -- what I mean about Seattle being spiritually dark is that it's a very godless city, for that matter the northwest itself is extremely godless. More than that, Seattle is known to be one of the hotspots for satanism and other occultic activities.

In regards to scary movies, yesterday at school my 5th grade daughter was completely freaked out because during her media center hour they had the kids watch Ichabod Crane and the headless horseman. She freaked because it scared her so bad. I was very proud of my little girl because she decided to not watch the movie and was allowed to sit out in the hallway until it was over. Her teacher came up and asked her why she was in the hall. My almost 11 year old daughter told the teacher that the movie was scary and that what they were showing didn't honor God. (her exact words). Teacher was a bit puzzled by the comment but nothing more.

Look at it this way -- say for a moment you believe in a holy God and heaven exists. Heaven is good, awesome and beautiful. Now would you imagine Jason, Freddy or any ghoul to be in heaven? Would there be anything scary there?

We're talking death, dismemberment, suicide, killing, mass murder and all out gore. How is any of that going to affect you or me? I'm gonna pee my pants, scream and get outta there. I just can't see the fun in it, or anything else.

However - big however here. However, if you don't believe in God then truly what I've written doesn't apply to you. It's meant for Christians, which means followers of Christ. I wanted to know what Christ followers thought of Halloween.
Well being born and raised In Portland and Seattle areas, I will have to strongly disagree with that. I was inundated with Church goers and bullied into attending by several friends. I never met a satanist.
On the scary movie issue, I know it is fake nothing more, and I don't see how it dishonors a god. Some like it, my mother hates it, but she doesn't like being scared. I used to want to be a coroner, so death and blood does not bother me.

And it can affect me and my kids, seeing that those that don't agree can sometimes be, not so nice in their protests about it as can their kids with nonbelievers kids, or when you go to their door, they have a little speech made up for you ( it has happened). I just don't see the point of making it out to be something it is not.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,678,401 times
Hoosier, you seem to have developed a morbid fetish, of going out of your way, to look for darkness and then telling everyone about it. Tell me how obsessing over the dark side brings you closer to God? Halloween will only last one day. This thread, discussing all kinds of dark stuff has been going since 9/14/09 and I'm pretty sure we haven't heard the last of it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Hi Hoosier!!!!

Here's my two cents . . . just like the thread that was posted about marijuanna . . is it a sin? My response was . . . it's between you and God . . it's not for me to say . .

That being said . . . we all get convicted of different things . . . I used to like comedians, the vulgar the better . . . but no church, or denomination told me to stop watching . . . but after I was given faith . . .I've tuned alot of stuff down . . . and walked away from alot of stuff.

Halloween, well, for whatever reason . . . I'm sort of convicted that I don't want to participate in it . . . I have kids as well, some trick or treating age . . . we don't go . . . . but I do host a big fall/autumn party for the kids and their friends.

I think this is one of those . . to each his own type of thing . . .but in my opinion, it is not God honoring . . . and so I don't do it . . . but I do string Christmas lights and go all out with that . . . . and we celebrate the holiday season . . . so far, no conviction there yet . . . Blessings, Lifesigns

Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Instead of asking about Halloween, maybe you should be asking yourself about how your kids' activities honor God on every day of the year. Is after school sports honoring God? No. Is joining Fife and Drum honoring God? No. Are they honoring God by going to school? No. Do you honestly think your kids would use Halloween as an activity to honor the devil? Kids look forward to Halloween to have fun. Costumes and candy isn't honoring the devil. Don't give your kids a hard time, let them have fun.
Why can't he ask what he wants to ask? Why can't he comment on how he feels????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity