Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,581,790 times

Advertisements

Mark 9:1 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com
Quote:
What was Jesus saying to them in this verse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
And he said unto them, "Verily, verily I say unto you, that there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

I believe Jesus was telling his disciples that there were some standing there that would see the Son of man coming into his Kingdom; that they would see the Kingdom of God, before they died.

The Kingdom of God is within us...the power is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the power. When we truly repent of our sins, and have been baptized in the Holy Spirit of Christ, by faith we are truly born again, with power to overcome sin.

In Christ,
Verna.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
And he said unto them, "Verily, verily I say unto you, that there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

I believe Jesus was telling his disciples that there were some standing there that would see the Son of man coming into his Kingdom; that they would see the Kingdom of God, before they died.

The Kingdom of God is within us...the power is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the power. When we truly repent of our sins, and have been baptized in the Holy Spirit of Christ, by faith we are truly born again, with power to overcome sin.

In Christ,
Verna.
yep!

The revealing, and indwelling

Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM

33,296 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Jesus was referring to the event which is described in the very next verse.

Mark 9:2-9 describes the transfiguration of Christ. Christ is the King, and he who sees the King sees the kingdom. The transfigured Christ is how He will appear at His second advent.

Christ had taken Peter, James, and John with Him to the mountain for the transfiguration and thus fulfilled what He said in verse 1.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Mark 9:2-9 describes the transfiguration of Christ. Christ is the King, and he who sees the King sees the kingdom. The transfigured Christ is how He will appear at His second advent.

Christ had taken Peter, James, and John with Him to the mountain for the transfiguration and thus fulfilled what He said in verse 1.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Agree somewhat, but it was the example shown to us what it would be like. Shall not taste death. Taste? Could it mean that instead of looking for eternal life, you could already have eternal life? Hense, transfigure in waiting? It reminds me of the mystery of the resurrection spoken of by Paul. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
yep!

The revealing, and indwelling
Amen Hot!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,536,836 times
Speaking just of the Kingdom of God... Some would say that the kingdom of God is spiritual but the kingdom of heaven is not, yet check out these verses:

Matthew 19:14
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Mark 10:14

When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

Luke 18:16
But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

1 Corinthians 15:24
Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power.

Revelation 5:10

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."

Revelation 12:10

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

So which Kingdom is which or are they both the same?

Last edited by katjonjj; 09-16-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,010,129 times
I find it interesting the subtle difference found in the Matthew account of these same words:

Quote:
Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”
Coming where?

The other thing that is rather suspicious about these passages is the fact that Jesus states that some of the folks in his audience would not "taste death" before they see the kingdom/see the son of man coming IN his kingdom. Some Christians, as we see here, are quick to jump on the assumption that Jesus was referring to his transfiguration because this is what is mentioned next in the story (Mark and Matthew says the transfiguration happens 6 days later, Luke says it was 8 days later).

Why I find this odd is this? Did Jesus really believe that some of his Disciples would be dead in a few days to make such a proclamation? Was he expecting some threat, but they would not die in just a few days before he headed up a mountain with a few of them? That's like me telling my son who I expect to play b'ball with on Saturday: "hey son! You won't die before we play basketball again" and then a few days later we are on the basketball court. A little over the top, don't you think?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM

33,296 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Agree somewhat, but it was the example shown to us what it would be like. Shall not taste death. Taste? Could it mean that instead of looking for eternal life, you could already have eternal life? Hense, transfigure in waiting? It reminds me of the mystery of the resurrection spoken of by Paul. But hey, that is just my opinion.
At the moment that we believe in Christ, eternal life is ours immediately. In
1 John 5:13 we are told, "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God in order that you may know that you have eternal life." Note that it is in the present tense-'have', not 'will have.' Eternal life is yours immediately on expressing faith in Christ. We of course don't fully experience it until after the physical death of our bodies and we are in Heaven. And then utimately when our physical bodies are resurrected we have the full experience of what eternal life is.

What Christ was saying with reqard to tasting death was that some of the disciples would not die physically until they had seen Him in His transfiguration. Peter, James, and John saw Him transfigured, but all of the other disciples died physically without having seen His transfigured state. Of course they are all now in Heaven and see Christ as He truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity