Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
"Christians are saved from God."

When you can finally see the absurdity of this statement, you might begin to understand God's love, why we were all subjected to vanity, and what it is we are actually saved from.

Peace out Fundy.
You do realize that is a self righteous statement The substitutionary atonement doctrine is one of the most beautiful, loving doctrines-It's all about Him not us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You do realize that is a self righteous statement The substitutionary atonement doctrine is one of the most beautiful, loving doctrines-It's all about Him not us
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Christians are saved from God. When God looks at us He sees Jesus and when He sees Jesus He sees us.

I think what you meant to say is that our salvation comes from God.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Sorry Fundy, no self-righteousness intended, but when you say things like we are saved "as a byproduct of God's glory", it leads me to believe you don't fully understand God's love. LOVE ALWAYS PROTECTS. How do you think that impacts God's decision to save His creation?

You believe "Christians are saved from God" and this is simply the loving doctrine of substitutionary atonement? Like Mystic, its not about us, its about us needing Him.

Let me explain the absurdity of "Christians are saved from God." This would mean God created some people specifically so He would eternally torture them. In theory, God could torment the whole human race for eternity, and God would still be "loving". Maybe that is not an absurdity to you. If that's the case, I would just say read 1 Cor 13 a few hundred times and let it sink in.

Be well Fundy.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Christians are saved from God. When God looks at us He sees Jesus and when He sees Jesus He sees us.

I think what you meant to say is that our salvation comes from God.
No. that God's wrath remains on us until we are covered by the blood of Christ because when we are then God can see us as righteous-so when God sees us He sees Christ and when He looks at Christ He sees us. Christ was our substitution, He stepped in our place.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:31 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
No. that God's wrath remains on us until we are covered by the blood of Christ because when we are then God can see us as righteous-so when God sees us He sees Christ and when He looks at Christ He sees us. Christ was our substitution, He stepped in our place.
Only humans have wrath, anger, jealousy, pride, glory-seeking egos, lust, envy, greed . . . (read: the negative human emotions that have been shown to be the result of our human weaknesses) . . . to attribute ANY of them to God for ANY reason is to blaspheme God's Holy Spirit using ancient primitive misunderstanding developed under the veil of ignorance that covers the OT descriptons of Jehovah. A follower of Christ removes that veil and understands the TRUE NATURE of God is LOVE.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What kind of death does sin bring? Is it not spiritual death?
Both spiritual death and physical death as far as i understand. Corruption and decay are a byproduct of sin, not only in humans but in nature as a whole.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 PM

595 posts, read 761,839 times
Saved from spiritual death-total separation from God. Jesus reconciled us back to God by taking all our sins against God and nailing them to the cross.He paid our debt to God with his blood, once and for all time so we could have a relationship with the Father. He gave us mercy and forgiveness for disobeying him, through Jesus only because it pleased God to save us, not because we do any deed to deserve it. And Jesus voluntarily laid his life down for us.He had the power to lay his life down and the power to raise it up again. The power of his resurrection proved we would live forever with him. Hell is a total separation from God, forever. God will never hear you and you will be tormented day and night forever for rejecting his love, which is unbelief of who he says he is.
Sin is death. Jesus freed us from sin. As you grow in Christ, the sin falls away, for Christ in you is the only power that can do this. When you are saved by grace through faith and recieve the forgiveness of your sins, you are a new creation in Christ. The old self passes away the more faith, (trust in God) you have and the new becomes more visible. Good fruit made by Christ. Now repentence to God is acknowledging the truth we have sinned and are very sorry for hurting and disobeying God. We are in his image and he also cries, hurts and angers when we do things that hurt ourselves and others and him. Hope this helps friend.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times
Quote:
Wow, that is TRUTH, it is profound, I am writing these sentences down for my kids . . . it sums up so much, thank you!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 PM

595 posts, read 761,839 times
Now, this body is like a fading flower. Here today and gone tomorrow. Believing in Christ and what he has done for us, promises us a new spiritual body that will never decay. When we have faith in Jesus, we have passed from death to life. Immortality. For believers, death is only a shadow. The fate of both believers and non-believers is the same on earth. They die from this earth and the earthly body decays, but where their soul goes after the last breath is by their faith in Jesus or not. If a person believes in Jesus, then he believes in the Father who sent him and recieves what Jesus has. A new resurrected body that will last forever to live with God forever.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Kat, I think this is getting off topic, but we need to be careful here.

God doesn't change his mind. Circumstances may occur that make it appear that God changes his mind, but it is really man that is changing his mind. God knows all, the beginning from the end. Why would He need to change his mind since He already knows how its all going to work out?

Look at Jer 18:8 for example. God warns that if a nation doesn't repent, then He will inflict disaster on that nation. But if the nation does repent, then He will relent of the disaster He planned.

Is God really changing His mind in Jer 18:8? God already knows beginning to end, He knows what that nation will do, and He already knows what they will choose. God is simply giving a warning of what will happen if they don't repent. So the nation repents and the disaster does not happen.

Who really changed their mind here? The people changed their mind. God changes people's minds. NOT the other way around.
Lego,
I'm just catching up on the thread but I wanted to say that in the post you referenced, my point was that these verses point out that God is giving mankind choices, but also touching on the fact that most christians, I know, have a list of things that MIGHT send them to hell.

If you don't know the criteria specifically for being saved, and you think you are saved from eternal hell....that could be considered God changing his mind. It's open to interpretation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity