Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times

Advertisements

I am also a veteran. I served my country because I wanted to do my part in defending our freedoms and our democracy. The symbol I carried and saluted during my service was the symbol of our country, the flag.

Had I lost my life while serving my country I would have preferred a flag draped coffin to remind my family and others that I willingly gave my life (as countless others over the history of this nation have done) so theirs would be free to worship, free to choose their leaders, and free to speak their minds or protest without fear of government retaliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And your scientific proof Christianity is a myth is . . . ............................?
Those who assert must prove, those who disbelieve do not bear the burden of proof. There is simply no reliable evidence to create a belief, unless of course, you don't require as much evidence as some others do.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Those who assert must prove, those who disbelieve do not bear the burden of proof. There is simply no reliable evidence to create a belief, unless of course, you don't require as much evidence as some others do.
That's a cop out, an easy way to get around not being able to prove that there is no God. You can't disprove, any more than we can prove it. So there you have it. It's all about faith. The reliable evidence is in the heart, mind, soul, spirit and the Bible.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's a cop out, an easy way to get around not being able to prove that there is no God. You can't disprove, any more than we can prove it. So there you have it. It's all about faith. The reliable evidence is in the heart, mind, soul, spirit and the Bible.
Quote:
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
But when all the evidence is weighed, the scale tips to no god, as the utter lack of evidence is evidence.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But when all the evidence is weighed, the scale tips to no god, as the utter lack of evidence is evidence.
If you don't believe in a higher being that created us, are you telling me you believe in the big bang theory? Come on, there's even less evidence for that.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
If you don't believe in a higher being that created us, are you telling me you believe in the big bang theory? Come on, there's even less evidence for that.
Au contraire, there is the whole universe, an expanding universe, still expanding from the big bang.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Au contraire, there is the whole universe, an expanding universe, still expanding from the big bang.
Right, and you can't prove that "big bang" any more than I can prove God. God created this whole universe you speak of, this expanding universe, that's still expanding because God's work is never done. You see it from the tiniest molecule to the largest planets, God is everywhere, in everything we see, feel, touch and smell and taste. We're nothing without him, a speck of dust blowing around in the wind.

You must try to believe the Bible, at least the NT and what Jesus did. It's all about faith and without it the lies seep through. I'm not condemning you by any means, I just want everyone to experience the joy of Jesus Christ in this life because it does make all the difference. But make no mistake, your disbelief has no bearing on the fact that you WILL believe eventually. God has a plan for you too.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Right, and you can't prove that "big bang" any more than I can prove God. God created this whole universe you speak of, this expanding universe, that's still expanding because God's work is never done. You see it from the tiniest molecule to the largest planets, God is everywhere, in everything we see, feel, touch and smell and taste. We're nothing without him, a speck of dust blowing around in the wind.

You must try to believe the Bible, at least the NT and what Jesus did. It's all about faith and without it the lies seep through. I'm not condemning you by any means, I just want everyone to experience the joy of Jesus Christ in this life because it does make all the difference. But make no mistake, your disbelief has no bearing on the fact that you WILL believe eventually. God has a plan for you too.
Sorry, but I can't make my mind go there, I have too much respect for myself than to fill my head with impossible fantasies.

And that is why no one has the right to use the symbol of their fantasy to represent the sacrifice of those that don't subscribe to the fairy tale. (that is the topic ya know)

And no, neither gods or leprechauns or any other mythical beings have no plans for anyone that dismisses them for what they are, a myth.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I can't make my mind go there, I have too much respect for myself than to fill my head with impossible fantasies.

And that is why no one has the right to use the symbol of their fantasy to represent the sacrifice of those that don't subscribe to the fairy tale. (that is the topic ya know)

And no, neither gods or leprechauns or any other mythical beings have no plans for anyone that dismisses them for what they are, a myth.
Yeah I know what the OP was about and it doesn't matter whether you can make your mind go there or not, I'm here to tell you, beyond any shadow of doubt that your mind will one day grasp the reality of God and everything that entails. I wish with all of my heart that you would come to know Him in THIS life rather than the next, but I'm happy in the knowledge that ALL will be reconciled to God, believer or not.

Have you ever been a believer Asheville? Just curious.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know what the OP was about and it doesn't matter whether you can make your mind go there or not, I'm here to tell you, beyond any shadow of doubt that your mind will one day grasp the reality of God and everything that entails. I wish with all of my heart that you would come to know Him in THIS life rather than the next, but I'm happy in the knowledge that ALL will be reconciled to God, believer or not.

Have you ever been a believer Asheville? Just curious.
Nope!

And no, won't see ya there, nor will you be there, we are just an animal existing for a brief period of time on this rock, and when dead......... that's it, dead, no after life, no meetings with mythical beings, no streets of gold (silly concept, playing to the greed?) or lakes of fire.

I fully recognize that your wishes are not hostile, but I view your wish for me to fall for a fallacy completely misguided, bordering on insulting, as I have too much respect for myself.

If there were any gods, 2,000+ years searching as believer do would produce evidence. Gods exist only in the minds of those that believe they exist. If that gives you comfort, that's great, go for it. I'm too logical and reasoning to even think about going there, especially based on nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity