Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 02:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
As for the OP question, we are held accountable for what we know. What does a baby know of sin?
It's been asked several times but perhaps you'll be willing to answer: where is the cutoff, then, where a baby/child can "know" of sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 PM

23,240 posts, read 10,527,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's been asked several times but perhaps you'll be willing to answer: where is the cutoff, then, where a baby/child can "know" of sin?

13, but that depends on whose children.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
13, but that depends on whose children.
At 13 they're basically all from hell.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:18 PM

23,240 posts, read 10,527,389 times
Quote:
At 13 they're basically all from hell.

LOL, I know I was, my poor mother. All the teachers knew who I was before I knew them, and if there was ever a devil to point at, the whole school system would have pointed at me at age 13. On top of that, I was a wickedly spoiled child, son of a wealthy father for a while. Losing everything woke me up.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:33 PM

18,518 posts, read 9,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I love your posts, JerZ. You highlight what is wrong with religious dogma - it is dogma! Too many of Jesus' self-appointed apostles today foolishly place the emphasis on retaining and promoting ancient beliefs.
I'd say we also have too many self-appointed apostles promoting more modern-sounding superstitions and dogmas.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:37 PM

28,127 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
But if Jesus already atoned for our sins and that's a done deal before we're even born, why do we "need" to "accept" Jesus and confess he is lord, etc., etc. in order to be "saved"?
Because we still have sins of our own.

Quote:
Is it a done deal or isn't it?
That all depends upon what you mean. I believe that we will be punished for our own sins and not for Adam's transgression. I believe that Jesus Christ's sacrifice will enable all to rise from the grave and live again. I don't believe it gives us a free pass to do what we know to be wrong. Rather, it assures us that when we sincerely repent, we can be forgiven and not have to endure the punishment for our sins.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,062,287 times
Quote:

Might surprise you. When it knows the difference between "yes" and "no", and after told "no", disobeys parent anyway. Honor mother and father was the first commandment with promise. Peace

Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 4,999,492 times
Quote:
Any thoughts about 1st Corinthians 7:14 ?
Minor children are Not cut off because of a believing parent.

Even if a baby/child can Not know of sin, the parents know at the birth of a child that its leanings will be toward wrongdoing. As the old adage says: As a twig is bent so the tree will grow.
The parents in Noah's day bent their twigs the wrong way to the point the earth was filled with violence - Genesis 6:11

We today want to be like the humble ' sheep ' in Jesus' illustration at Matthew 25:31-33,37 so that our minor children will also have God's favor at the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth before the start of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins when Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among people of good will ( aka those figurative sheep )

Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 4,999,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
The question of "eternal torment" would be effective had Jesus not paid the price against that.
Up and until Jesus paid the price, all... I mean all souls born and died... would have had a chance to enter the gates of heaven.
"Eternal torment", has no grounds because Jesus has the keys to death and hell.
If so, there is no hell and there is no eternal death!
Blessings, AJ
No one ascended to heaven - John 3:13 - before Jesus opened up the way to heaven.
Even king David did Not ascend - Acts 2:34 - nor John the Baptist - Matthew 11:11
The faithful of Hebrews chapter 11 are still awaiting God's promise - Hebrews 11:13,39
God's promise to father Abraham is that ALL families of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 12:3
and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 22:18
Blessed with the benefits of healing for Earth's nations under Christ's millennial rulership over Earth.- Rev. 22:2

Yes, biblical hell comes to a final end according to Rev. 20:13-14
After everyone in the Bible's hell ( grave ) is ' delivered up ' ( resurrected out of hell/grave ) , then emptied-out hell is cast into that figurative ' second death ' for vacated hell.

Except for those committing the unforgivable sin - Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6, the majority of mankind - Matthew 20:28 - will have a resurrection. Some to heaven as firstfruits who have a first or earlier resurrection - Rev. 20:6; 2:10
whereas the majority of mankind will have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth with the opportunity to live forever on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

So, the dead who die through inherited imperfection from father Adam ( Adamic death ) can have a resurrection.
Whereas the wicked will be destroyed forever - Psalm 92:7
They end up in that symbolic ' second death ' - Rev. 21:8
So, ' second death ' is a fitting term for eternal death as in destroyed forever and ever.
We all have two (2) choices to either ' repent ' or ' perish ' ( be destroyed ) - 2nd Peter 3:9

Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Because we still have sins of our own.
But then his death wasn't for anything as we're still going to sin anyway and still have to atone for it anyway...I may just not be understanding this correctly.

If Jesus' death didn't wipe out ALL sin but only the sin up until then because afterward, people were going to just keep creating new sin anyway, then I just don't get what Jesus' death proved (or did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity