Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

The "world" meaning this country-the world I presently know and interact with is shifting towards giving gay people their civil "extra" rights and it is only a matter of time before our children are a part of this.

There is a danger in the church today called pragmatism. I have heard Christians against homosexuality say, well as long as these unwanted children are adopted into a loving home regardless if they are gay then I see that as being ok because the good that can come out of it. That's pragmatism. Are we saying the ends justifies the means? If something is wrong then its wrong, it doesn't matter if what you perceive as being "good" comming out of it can somehow NOW make it right?

Please don't let the name fool you and connect me to Pat Robertson and co. I don't put too much emphasis in what the world does, I don't even watch the news and I don't get involved politically in the culture war. This is thread basically asking for your opinion and your reasons based on scripture because I myself sufferered from pragmatism on this issue but changed my mind since I could not find scripture to support my view

I would like to hear how Christians either support or don't support and give a scriptural reson or reasons for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
The problem with that is that homosexuality is not accepted in Scripture, so all that follows is moot.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The problem with that is that homosexuality is not accepted in Scripture, so all that follows is moot.
NO the point is: Should people be allowed to adopt the MANY children left to ROT in the system?

Should your sexual preferences come up in the interview?

If a single woman or man can adopt why not two men or two women?

I'd say that is prejudice regardless of whether you say homosexuality is wrong. I personally don't think homosexuality is beneficial to the homosexual person but that has no bearing on whether the child would benefit from having a home!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
The point is that children need loving parents who will love and care for them and raise them to be loving caring adults..

Makes no difference if the parents are homosexual or not..A child needs a family, not an orphanage, or being fostered out here and there..

An unwanted child needs love, nourishment and a sense of belonging..If a homosexual couple can provide that then they have my full support..

What in the world has "sex" to do with it anyway?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,201 times
being gay is a sin.
The church needs to always take a stand that if you are gay you need to repent.

But that has nothing to do with getting kids.
That question should be left to the people that run that stuff and know what is best.

I dont find any verse in the bible that could be used to stop the Gays from applying for children along with anyone else...

Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
There is a danger in the church today called pragmatism. I have heard Christians against homosexuality say, well as long as these unwanted children are adopted into a loving home regardless if they are gay then I see that as being ok because the good that can come out of it. That's pragmatism. Are we saying the ends justifies the means? If something is wrong then its wrong, it doesn't matter if what you perceive as being "good" comming out of it can somehow NOW make it right?
The topic of Gays has been beaten to death, IMO . . . but this stand on pragmatism coming from a Calvinist is intriguing. It is my understanding that God does exactly that (in Calvinist thought) . . . doesn't He? The evil He created is designed to do that very thing . . . according to you, right Fundy? Just curious.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
1. I don't believe being gay is a sin (don't start with me on how it is.. use another thread)
2. If they are married I have no problem with the adoption
3. I have reservations about anybody who is single wanting to adopt
4. The reservations expressed in bullet 3 do not coincide with a thought process that nobody single should adopt

Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
1. I don't believe being gay is a sin (don't start with me on how it is.. use another thread)
2. If they are married I have no problem with the adoption
3. I have reservations about anybody who is single wanting to adopt
4. The reservations expressed in bullet 3 do not coincide with a thought process that nobody single should adopt
I have no problem with 1 but why does one have to be married?

Say there is a single woman who is unable to bear children but is stable, yet has not found a man to be marriageable? Is it wrong for her to adopt?

I think there are great reasons for a single person to adopt and the biggest one is to share themselves and their home with someone who needs that, such as an orphaned child.

It would be selfish for a single person to have all the makings of a great home for a child only to say that they are single so they can't adopt...

and of course we always have to do what is best for the child... not what we think is best from a religious standpoint for the religion.

I am curious why you present bullet 2 and 3 though....

Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I have no problem with 1 but why does one have to be married?
I didn't say they had to be married.

Quote:
Say there is a single woman who is unable to bear children but is stable, yet has not found a man to be marriageable? Is it wrong for her to adopt?
Shouldn't you ask this of someone who said you had to be single to adopt? That person would not be me.. I said I had.. reservations.

Quote:
I think there are great reasons for a single person to adopt and the biggest one is to share themselves and their home with someone who needs that, such as an orphaned child.
And I agree. Again you should probably have this conversation with someone who thinks single people shouldn't adopt.

Quote:
It would be selfish for a single person to have all the makings of a great home for a child only to say that they are single so they can't adopt...
I'm not sure its selfish.. I'd say its a personal choice based on whether that person thinks they can be a parent.

Again.. let me repeat myself.

I have reservations about a single person adopting children just at face value. Its my opinion.. thats it. I'm not saying or have I ever said that single people shouldn't be able to adopt.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
being gay is a sin.
So is being OBESE, if your obesity is caused by overeating.

Now what......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity