Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Beginning & Ending....Genesis & Revelation....The Tree of Life in both....I am The Way, The Truth and The Life.
Ok I am back for a little more.....
ChrystyGrl...the above another insertion of your reasoning into the text.

Quote:
What was in the beginning....Let us make man in "our" image....The Tree of Life in the garden.....The Tree of Life in the New Jerusalem.
Another insertion of reasoning into the text....you have combined a type and a symbol together, which first, is agianst the rule of Biblical hermeneutics...in order to come to the right interpretation, a type and symbol cannot be the same thing...there are types and symbols, and symbols can be in types, but types can never be incorporated into a symbol and neither can be congruent of the same thing.

Quote:
When you ask God to show you the "spiritual" implications of all Jesus said and did, instead of just reading the "literal" words, you might understand God and Jesus a little better.
Not so...the whole issue with literal interpretaion has led our church down the wrong road. You can blame Darby and Scofield on that one. Don't fall into the samne trap. The kingdom is within us, not here, there, but in the spirit, not the flesh, where the eye can see, and the scripture must always be interpreted in that way from the onset. Period.

Folks,

As Alabama said earlier, you are all limiting God and what He can do. He can manifest Himself into a man, which He did in Christ.

Zech 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn

God is speaking here above, and He quotes the above:

They shall look on ME whom they have pierced.

Christ was the one who got pierced, so by process of elimination again:

Christ is God manifested in the flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Ok I am back for a little more.....
ChrystyGrl...the above another insertion of your reasoning into the text.

Another insertion of reasoning into the text....you have combined a type and a symbol together, which first, is agianst the rule of Biblical hermeneutics...in order to come to the right interpretation, a type and symbol cannot be the same thing...there are types and symbols, and symbols can be in types, but types can never be incorporated into a symbol and neither can be congruent of the same thing.

Not so...the whole issue with literal interpretaion has led our church down the wrong road. You can blame Darby and Scofield on that one. Don't fall into the samne trap. The kingdom is within us, not here, there, but in the spirit, not the flesh, where the eye can see, and the scripture must always be interpreted in that way from the onset. Period.

Folks,

As Alabama said earlier, you are all limiting God and what He can do. He can manifest Himself into a man, which He did in Christ.

Zech 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn

God is speaking here above, and He quotes the above:

They shall look on ME whom they have pierced.

Christ was the one who got pierced, so by process of elimination again:

Christ is God manifested in the flesh.
I definitely am not putting God in a little box....I fully believe that God can manifest himself in each and every believer....but that still doesn't make us God. We are called to be ONE (in mind, will and purpose) with God just as Jesus was and when we are, then God dwells in us...he makes His home in us. Until you understand what it means to be ONE with God as Jesus was...you will never be able to comprehend what I'm trying to tell you and you will continue to worship Jesus as your God instead of learning from him, as our Teacher and Leader, to follow in his footsteps so that we can enter into the Kingdom which is inside of us where we will be in the presence of the ONE and ONLY GOD.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times
Quote:
I definitely am not putting God in a little box....I fully believe that God can manifest himself in each and every believer....but that still doesn't make us God. We are called to be ONE (in mind, will and purpose) with God just as Jesus was and when we are, then God dwells in us...he makes His home in us. Until you understand what it means to be ONE with God as Jesus was...you will never be able to comprehend what I'm trying to tell you and you will continue to worship Jesus as your God instead of learning from him, as our Teacher and Leader, to follow in his footsteps so that we can enter into the Kingdom which is inside of us where we will be in the presence of the ONE and ONLY GOD.
If Jesus merely spoke of Himself as being "One with God", in terms of having similar goals and purposes, you may well have a point. But Jesus said much more than that here. He said:

Joh 10:30 εγω 1473[i] και 2532[AND] ο 3588[THE] πατηρ 3962[FATHER] εν 1520[ONE] εσμεν 2070[ARE].

2070 ἐσμέν
esmén; pres. act. indic. 1st person pl. of eimí (G1510), to be. We are.

That is one radical claim!

A good paraphrase might be: I and the Father exist as One.

This is the very reason the Jews picked up stones to throw at Him:

Joh 10:31 Therefore, again, did the Jews take up stones that they may stone him;

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
If Jesus merely spoke of Himself as being "One with God", in terms of having similar goals and purposes, you may well have a point. But Jesus said much more than that here. He said:

Joh 10:30 εγω 1473[i] και 2532[AND] ο 3588[THE] πατηρ 3962[FATHER] εν 1520[ONE] εσμεν 2070[ARE].

2070 ἐσμέν
esmén; pres. act. indic. 1st person pl. of eimí (G1510), to be. We are.

That is one radical claim!

A good paraphrase might be: I and the Father exist as One.

This is the very reason the Jews picked up stones to throw at Him:

Joh 10:31 Therefore, again, did the Jews take up stones that they may stone him;
The Jews back then interpreted what Jesus said the same way so many interpret it today....they look at the "literal" words and totally disregard the spiritual meaning behind the words.

The point is the same....when we and God are ONE...in which He dwells in us....do we not exist then as ONE?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times
Quote:
The Jews back then interpreted what Jesus said the same way so many interpret it today....they look at the "literal" words and totally disregard the spiritual meaning behind the words.

The point is the same....when we and God are ONE...in which He dwells in us....do we not exist then as ONE?
The more I reflect on this thread the more I understand why it's difficult to comprehend the essence and nature of who Jesus is.

Most (self included) will identify Him by His roles, titles, and the positions He holds, as given to Him by His Father, through the prophets, His anointings, and as we read and perceive Him in the scriptures.

In doing so, we see His titles and roles (often in positions of being subordinate, serving man, washing the feet of others, emptying Himself, humbling himself, becoming flesh, etc.) and forget His nature and divinity as One with His Father.

Col 1:19 because in him it did please all the fulness to tabernacle,
Col 2:9 because in him doth tabernacle all the fulness of the Godhead bodily,

It's mind boggling to actually think of all Jesus' titles, names and positions, and how he interacts and fulfills them all.

Here is a list of some: Names and titles of Jesus in the New Testament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even his name is too wonderful to comprehend:

Jdg 13:18 And the Angel of Jehovah said to him, Why do you ask this about My name? Yea, it is Wonderful.

ִפְּלִאי
pil’iy, ֶפִּליא
peliy’: A masculine adjective meaning wonderful, incomprehensible.

And He died for our sins! Hallelujah!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I definitely am not putting God in a little box....I fully believe that God can manifest himself in each and every believer....
You aren't understanding....God manifested Himself into a human body...Jesus. Thinking He can't is measuring God's abilities.

What do you make up Zechariah 12?

I am curious...

Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You aren't understanding....God manifested Himself into a human body...Jesus. Thinking He can't is measuring God's abilities.

What do you make up Zechariah 12?

I am curious...
I don't make anything of it because if you read it in the original Hebrew "me" never comes into play. Surely you studied the Hebrew into English?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,337 times
Boy this wears me out just reading some of these posts.
I AM...I just love that simplistic statement. God just IS. The beginning and the end. He just is...it is just more than we can comprehend. I don't claim to understand it all, nor really can anyone. We are just the clay and he is the potter. I just trust and believe...

Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I don't make anything of it because if you read it in the original Hebrew "me" never comes into play. Surely you studied the Hebrew into English?
It is obvious you don't undertsand Hebrew very well. When Hebrew uses nouns and verb, it doesn't use pronouns such as we, he, she, etc...the verbs, adverbs and adjectives are always related to the subject matter, and in this case, as in many others throughout the scripture, the subject here is God speaking about himself. Simple linguistics here.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,229 times
Quote:
Surely you studied the Hebrew into English?
I have never studied Hebrew...and don't call me Shirley...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity