Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:24 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,187,542 times

Advertisements

This is a hard subject to discuss with most Christians, but one that is played out – to one extent or another - in the lives of all who press on to follow the Savior; this includes many on this forum who no longer attend church in the corporate setting; for various reasons, they no longer agreed with, fit in, got along, etc. with the teachings, activities, direction, etc.

In no way should we ever encourage anyone to leave a place of worship, or plant a seed of bitterness, discontent, or ill-will between members of the Body – that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the progression of growing in the Lord, and not remaining in one “pot” when your roots have outgrown it.

God is at work in your life.

I believe that a Christian grows from a babe who drinks in the milk of sound teaching and expounding in the Bible, to learning to appropriate the life of Christ personally, and knowing the heart of God to impact their life and the world around them – and ultimately, to live by the faith of the Son of God, being united with the Father in heart and having the mind of Christ.

(That’s of course a process of a lifetime – but a progression that following Him will bring about.)

The issue is – what happens when you outgrow your pot? The preacher gives his sermon, and you’re shouting “Yes, yes!” urging him to fully expound on the scripture, but he doesn’t see it – but you do...

Presently there are many believers panting after Him that don't call a church home, but they may be the best wine in God's cellar; to those of you out there who may be without a corporate body, or presently struggling to find peace in the place you currently worship, I repeat...

... God is at work in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,156,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
This is a hard subject to discuss with most Christians, but one that is played out – to one extent or another - in the lives of all who press on to follow the Savior; this includes many on this forum who no longer attend church in the corporate setting; for various reasons, they no longer agreed with, fit in, got along, etc. with the teachings, activities, direction, etc.

In no way should we ever encourage anyone to leave a place of worship, or plant a seed of bitterness, discontent, or ill-will between members of the Body – that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the progression of growing in the Lord, and not remaining in one “pot” when your roots have outgrown it.

God is at work in your life.

I believe that a Christian grows from a babe who drinks in the milk of sound teaching and expounding in the Bible, to learning to appropriate the life of Christ personally, and knowing the heart of God to impact their life and the world around them – and ultimately, to live by the faith of the Son of God, being united with the Father in heart and having the mind of Christ.

(That’s of course a process of a lifetime – but a progression that following Him will bring about.)

The issue is – what happens when you outgrow your pot? The preacher gives his sermon, and you’re shouting “Yes, yes!” urging him to fully expound on the scripture, but he doesn’t see it – but you do...

Presently there are many believers panting after Him that don't call a church home, but they may be the best wine in God's cellar; to those of you out there who may be without a corporate body, or presently struggling to find peace in the place you currently worship, I repeat...

... God is at work in your life.
Amen to this!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times
Elmer I would ask you to give me that verse? You are stating something very serious in a life of a believer yet no scripture to back it

If you don't love the church-the bride of Christ, then you don't love Jesus, it's people who have the problem and not the church. I know there are churches that we are way beyond, but we are not beyond every church.
We are called to go to a good church and we should make every effort to find a good church. If you have to drive 2 hours then you should. I know there are people who either physically or financially can't go but note remember I said, you must make every effort to find a good church, so that is between the individual and the Holy Spirit but if you think you can stay on the internet and have "church", you are sadly mistaken.

AND NO CHURCH IS NOT A BUILDING!

The apostle Paul left a detail description of church structure in the bible and if you are not following this structure, then you are not attending a church and no this is not legalism because this has nothing to with salvation or being a Christian. This is only about church and your development in the body of Christ. There are many big buildings and home that call themselves church but aren't.

"get yourself plugged in" and if you are a member of a church, go deeper, it's not enough to just be a member, go to sunday school, men's and women's ministries, prayer meetings......You will be amazed at how you grow with other believers.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-10-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,892,877 times
When you think you get smarter than the people you are in fellowship with you better check yourself. The Church is a body of believers gathered to honor God.

The OP is disturbing because it's dangerous to elevate our own understanding and 'revelation' above that of other God-fearing, Christ worshipping believers.

Yes many folks here seem to think they've 'outgrown' the church when in reality what has happened is that they have convuluted the Truth and they've drawn a little from this and a little from that that there's no church that believes like they do.

I have a family member like that too. "I can't find a 'good church'."

Truth is, they are disobeying instruction to fellowship, exhort, come under another's authority, and contribute to the Body of Christ. God is not a God of confusion.....but I will say 'this place' at one time had me very confused.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Elmer I would ask you to give me that verse? You are stating something very serious in a life of a believer yet no scripture to back it

If you don't love the church-the bride of Christ, then you don't love Jesus, it's you who has the problem and not the church. I know there are churches that we are way beyond, but you we are not beyond every church.
We are called to go to a good church and we should make every effort to find a good church. If you have to drive 2 hours then you should. I know there are people who either physically or financially can't go but note remember I said, you must make every effort to find a good church, so that is between the individual and the Holy Spirit but if you think you can stay on the internet and have "church", you are sadly mistaken.

AND NO CHURCH IS NOT A BUILDING!

The apostle Paul left a detail description of church structure in the bible and if you are not following this structure, then you are not attending a church and no this is not legalism because this has nothing to with salvation or being a Christian. This is onlt about church. There are many big buildings and home that call themselves church but aren't.
He is talking about the building man calls church... which you even stated was NOT church.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
When you think you get smarter than the people you are in fellowship with you better check yourself. The Church is a body of believers gathered to honor God.

The OP is disturbing because it's dangerous to elevate our own understanding and 'revelation' above that of other God-fearing, Christ worshipping believers.

Yes many folks here seem to think they've 'outgrown' the church when in reality what has happened is that they have convuluted the Truth and they've drawn a little from this and a little from that that there's no church that believes like they do.

I have a family member like that too. "I can't find a 'good church'."

Truth is, they are disobeying instruction to fellowship, exhort, come under another's authority, and contribute to the Body of Christ. God is not a God of confusion.....but I will say 'this place' at one time had me very confused.
The "church" today is NOT the church of yesterday. Most people do not even know the names of the people they are sitting next to. They listen to supposed men of God, yet they follow the wrong master.

Fellowship is awesome, but if you think it requires some formal traditional service type stuff, then really is it fellowship,,,or traditions? How would anyone know they are "smarter" if they do not even communicate with each other. I am not talking pot lucks and simple handshakes. I am talking about REAL friendships to the point of family.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,892,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
The "church" today is NOT the church of yesterday. Most people do not even know the names of the people they are sitting next to. They listen to supposed men of God, yet they follow the wrong master.

Fellowship is awesome, but if you think it requires some formal traditional service type stuff, then really is it fellowship,,,or traditions? How would anyone know they are "smarter" if they do not even communicate with each other. I am not talking pot lucks and simple handshakes. I am talking about REAL friendships to the point of family.
The OP isn't talking about pot lucks and handshakes.

The OP is talking about sitting in a group of believers listening to someone expound on the Word of God and thinking "I know more than he does what needs to be said." They aren't receiving and learning if their focused on what's 'not' being said instead of what is.

Christianity is not a solo endeavor.

God is no respecter of persons.

All I am saying is that it's dangerous to believe you are more spiritually 'in tune' with God or have some special revelation or interpretation above and beyond others. Satan said "Did God really say....?"

He still says that today.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If you're looking for a verse, I can only give you what Jesus said our Bread should be:

Quote:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. (John 6:53)
When Jesus said this, He's referring to His life - meat - that is immeasurable in its depth. The application to our life cannot be pondered, but must be experienced through layers of applications as we walk with Him, often through the most agonizing of times. So often, these are individual lessons that give us new depth in Him - but because they are individual in nature, the result can leave us in different places in Him. We see it on this forum, as well as in church - the people love each other, but there's some deer-in-the-headlights often times.

That's elementary, but important none the less.

I repeat - I'm not dividing the Body, in fact the very fruit of His life is love - love for the Body and for all men. So it's not a matter of bitterness or contention; the point is to follow hard after Him, and follow where He leads. The point of the OP is that a believer can outgrow the congregation around him/her (happens all the time), and that person can be led to serve the Body there, or be planted in an open place where the roots are not bound.

The most important thing for each of us is His will for our life, not dedication to anything else.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
The OP isn't talking about pot lucks and handshakes.

The OP is talking about sitting in a group of believers listening to someone expound on the Word of God and thinking "I know more than he does what needs to be said." They aren't receiving and learning if their focused on what's 'not' being said instead of what is.

Christianity is not a solo endeavor.

God is no respecter of persons.

All I am saying is that it's dangerous to believe you are more spiritually 'in tune' with God or have some special revelation or interpretation above and beyond others. Satan said "Did God really say....?"

He still says that today.
And I agree - you don't get what I'm saying.

The end result of the scenario I'm presenting is a dead church - if you're not growing, you're dying - and when the precious leadership (I'm being serious) gives all they have, there is more of Him...always.

Do we agree?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,027,456 times
People grow in their spiritualiy at different reates. You could go to the same church with 100 others and you can still have that one or two that have outgrown the church because their soul is more open. We can only go as far as we're taught. If the ministers won't go beyond what is in their face, no one else can grow from that. You will still need to find others who are more spiritual. And yes, there are poeple who are above others in their spirituality. No one is the same as anyone else. You would have to experience life exactly the same as another for that to happen.

Church isn't necessary to find God. He has a fragment of Himself in every human ever born or will be born. When we listen to that still small voice, we can then know God who is within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity