Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I never said that the Holy Spirit was an attribute, Mike. I said it was the very personage of God the Father Himself. And there is nothing in those verses that says He is not the Father's very being itself. Again, those verses do NOT in anyway show that the Holy Spirit is a separate person from the Father Himself.
You have to understand that while God is three in Persons, He is one in essense. God is Spirit. But within the essense of God are three distinct but not separate Persons, or centers of consciousness.

Look at these verses again.
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you

John 16:13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. ''He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.
The Father did not send Himself in the Son's name, He sent the Holy Spirit who spoke what He heard. Jesus said that all things that the Father has were His and that the Holy Spirit would take of His and disclose it to the disciples. There's a chain of command there. From the Father, to Jesus, and then to the Holy Spirit who made disclosure to the disciples.

Quote:
Mike, if what you were saying was true then Jesus is really the Son of the Holy Ghost as a separate person from the Father:

Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Mary conceived by means of the agency of the Third Person of the Trinity, God the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:18,20). However, the title 'Son of God' does not refer to procreation, but to a special relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. The Father Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity is an anthropopathism. The First Person of the Trinity - The Father, is not literally the Father of the Second Person of the Trinity who in His humanity we call Jesus. It is language of accommodation within a plan. In the plan of salvation the Second Person of the Trinity assumed a subservient position to the First Person of the Trinity who is the author of the plan. As the father in a family is the authority in the family, so also the First Person of the Trinity is the authority in the plan of salvation and assumes the role of the Father to the Second Person of the Trinity who agreed to come into the world as a man and do the will of the Father. So in that sense there is a Father Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity.

The title 'Son of God' is also applied to Jesus in a Messianic sense (Psalm 2:7; Matthew 4:3,6; Matthew 16:16; Luke 22:70; John 1:49) The title 'Son of God' emphasizes the fact that Jesus Christ is that eternal Person of the Trinity who was supernaturally born as a human being. That He is God manifested in the flesh (John 1:1,14).

Quote:
Is the Father greater than the Holy Ghost?
All three Persons of the trinity are in their essense or nature co-equal and co-eternal.

Quote:
Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Where is the Father in that verse?
That passage simply refers to the fact that in attributing the miracles which Jesus performed during His First Advent to Satan rather than to the Holy Spirit, those who made that charge were rejecting the fact that Jesus was the Son of God. The unbeliever's sins are not forgiven until he accepts Jesus Christ as Savior. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was tantamount to rejection of Jesus Christ. In rejecting Christ as Savior those who did so remained under condemnation. The specific sin of blaspheny against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed today because Jesus is not on the earth performing miracles. But people can and do reject Jesus as Savior and so remain under condemnation.

Quote:
Look here Mike:

1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1Jn 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

See in that second verse it is showing that is God the Father's Spirit.
The Holy Spirit has many titles.

He is called the 'Spirit of God' (Gen. 1:2), and the 'Spirit of your Father' (Matt. 10:20) which relate the Holy Spirit to the Father.

But He is also called the 'Spirit of Christ' (Rom. 8:9) and the 'Spirit of Jesus Christ' (Phil. 1:19) which relate the Holy Spirit to Jesus Christ.

Therefore, if you are going to claim that the Holy Spirit is the Father because He is called the 'Spirit of God', then you must also claim that He is Jesus Christ because He is called the 'Spirit of Christ.'

These are titles of which God the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Trinity has many.

He is also called the Spirit of Holiness, the Spirit of Life, the Spirit of Knowledge, the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is a true Person in the same sense in which the Father and the Son are Persons (2 Cor. 13:14; 1 Pet. 1:2).
2 Cor. 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

1 Pet. 1:2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.
Each of the two verses above, refer to three Persons of the Trinity.

I am not going to spend any more time on this. There are those who deny that Jesus Christ is God despite the clear Biblical statements that He is God, and there are those who deny that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity despite the fact that the Bible shows Him to be a distinct Person of the Godhead along with the Father and the Son. You can do further research if you wish, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You have to understand that while God is three in Persons, He is one in essense. God is Spirit. But within the essense of God are three distinct but not separate Persons, or centers of consciousness.

Look at these verses again.
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you

John 16:13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. ''He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.
The Father did not send Himself in the Son's name, He sent the Holy Spirit who spoke what He heard. Jesus said that all things that the Father has were His and that the Holy Spirit would take of His and disclose it to the disciples. There's a chain of command there. From the Father, to Jesus, and then to the Holy Spirit who made disclosure to the disciples.

Mary conceived by means of the agency of the Third Person of the Trinity, God the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:18,20). However, the title 'Son of God' does not refer to procreation, but to a special relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. The Father Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity is an anthropopathism. The First Person of the Trinity - The Father, is not literally the Father of the Second Person of the Trinity who in His humanity we call Jesus. It is language of accommodation within a plan. In the plan of salvation the Second Person of the Trinity assumed a subservient position to the First Person of the Trinity who is the author of the plan. As the father in a family is the authority in the family, so also the First Person of the Trinity is the authority in the plan of salvation and assumes the role of the Father to the Second Person of the Trinity who agreed to come into the world as a man and do the will of the Father. So in that sense there is a Father Son relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity.

The title 'Son of God' is also applied to Jesus in a Messianic sense (Psalm 2:7; Matthew 4:3,6; Matthew 16:16; Luke 22:70; John 1:49) The title 'Son of God' emphasizes the fact that Jesus Christ is that eternal Person of the Trinity who was supernaturally born as a human being. That He is God manifested in the flesh (John 1:1,14).

All three Persons of the trinity are in their essense or nature co-equal and co-eternal.

That passage simply refers to the fact that in attributing the miracles which Jesus performed during His First Advent to Satan rather than to the Holy Spirit, those who made that charge were rejecting the fact that Jesus was the Son of God. The unbeliever's sins are not forgiven until he accepts Jesus Christ as Savior. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was tantamount to rejection of Jesus Christ. In rejecting Christ as Savior those who did so remained under condemnation. The specific sin of blaspheny against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed today because Jesus is not on the earth performing miracles. But people can and do reject Jesus as Savior and so remain under condemnation.

The Holy Spirit has many titles.

He is called the 'Spirit of God' (Gen. 1:2), and the 'Spirit of your Father' (Matt. 10:20) which relates the Holy Spirit to the Father.

But He is also called the 'Spirit of Christ' (Rom. 8:9) and the 'Spirit of Jesus Christ' (Phil. 1:19) which relates the Holy Spirit to Jesus Christ.

Therefore, if you are going to claim that the Holy Spirit is the Father because He is called the 'Spirit of God', then you must also claim that He is Jesus Christ because He is called the 'Spirit of Christ.'

These are titles of which God the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Trinity has many.

He is also called the Spirit of Holiness, the Spirit of Life, the Spirit of Knowledge, the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is a true Person in the same sense in which the Father and the Son are Persons (2 Cor. 13:14; 1 Pet. 1:2).
2 Cor. 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

1 Pet. 1:2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.
Each of the two verses above, refer to three Person's of the Trinity.

I am not going to spend any more time on this. There are those who deny that Jesus Christ is God despite the clear Biblical statements that He is God, and there are those who deny that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity despite the fact that the Bible shows Him to be a distinct Person of the Godhead along with the Father and the Son. You can do further research if you wish, or not.
Mike, so what about blasphemy against God the Father - Is that forgiven?

I deny that Christ is God, I believe that Christ has God indwelling by means of the Father's Spirit - the Holy Spirit and therefore where He is - is God. Therefore, I believe there is truely only one Almighty.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM

505 posts, read 574,843 times
The Holy Spirit is without a doubt the most misunderstood and ignored of the three personalities of God. He is the one who is able to be every place all at the same time (Omnipresent). What a powerful and glorious characteristic! He is to be worshipped along with the Father and the Son since He is God and is co-equal with the Father and the Son. The 3 separate personalities are ONE IN UNITY. It is He who empowers and inspires Christians, and especially those who wrote the Holy Bible. The Holy Ghost is like the "energy" or "activation" of the power of God. It was He who moved upon the face of the waters (Gen 1:2) as God created the earth. It was He who came into the Virgin Mary allowing her to be impregnated miraculously by God, bringing forth Jesus in human form. Later, He empowered Jesus Himself to enable Him to perform the miracles that marked His ministry on earth: changing water into wine, giving sight to the blind, healing the deaf and the lame; casting out demons and unclean spirits, raising the dead and every other miracle performed.
Jesus said, "And I will pray (to) the Father and He shall give yo another Comforter (the Holy Spirit) that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth (a name for the Holy Spirit) whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but you know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be IN YOU.

Ps. 51:11 reads, "Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me." King David of the Old Testament said this after sinning with Bath-sheba, another man's wife. He knew that God's spirit (the Holy Spirit, the Holy Ghost) was living inside him. It was part of his daily life, It lead him and guided his choices and his prayers and was a valuable source of wisdom and great joy, if he chose to listen. He also knew when it was gone. When he sinned, the Holy Spirit was removed from him and so was his joy, his shame was so great. Many of the Old Testament and New Testament saints were filled with the Holy Spirit also. The Holy Spirit is available for everyone today, who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Here is an example, an extreme oversimplification of the three personalities of God. Think of God like this: liken God the Father to a massively huge power plant in the sky, 1,000 miles square on each side and 1,000 miles high. The Father runs the universe and supplys all the power and energy to it. Everything comes FROM Him. He is this huge complex with thousands of buildings and structures all connected and working together for the good of all. There would be thousands of miles of walls, floors, windows, wires, tubing, turbine engines cranking out power, and thousands and thousands of computers all keeping track of every aspect of the running of the complex. The Father God is like the headquarters of the complex. Jesus serves as the supervisor and administrator. He is the CEO, the board of directors, the president, vice priesident, the Senate, the House of Representatives, the governor, and the mayor all rolled into one. Everything runs THROUGH Him. He is also our intercessor or mediator IN HEAVEN. He takes our prayer requests here on earth and gives them to the Father in heaven. Jesus is like an extension of the Father. He would be the power lines running out from the complex in heaven down to the earth and into our towns and cities or wherever you are. He is the link between the two worlds- the spiritual and the physical. Liken Him to the electric cords coming out of the appliances on your computer or refrigerator or toaster or television, or radio. He is like the sockets in your wall where you plug in your appliances to receive electricity. The Holy Ghost then, is like the electricity that flows from the power plant (the Father God) through the wires and cords and sockets (Jesus) and reaches you. He is the power of God manifested in and on the earth; The Holy Spirit is our advocate HERE ON EARTH, now that Jesus is no longer down here. When Christian's talk about 'HEARING' God or His voice, it is the Holy Spirit speaking.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
The Holy Spirit is without a doubt the most misunderstood and ignored of the three personalities of God. He is the one who is able to be every place all at the same time (Omnipresent). What a powerful and glorious characteristic! He is to be worshipped along with the Father and the Son since He is God and is co-equal with the Father and the Son. The 3 separate personalities are ONE IN UNITY. It is He who empowers and inspires Christians, and especially those who wrote the Holy Bible. The Holy Ghost is like the "energy" or "activation" of the power of God. It was He who moved upon the face of the waters (Gen 1:2) as God created the earth. It was He who came into the Virgin Mary allowing her to be impregnated miraculously by God, bringing forth Jesus in human form. Later, He empowered Jesus Himself to enable Him to perform the miracles that marked His ministry on earth: changing water into wine, giving sight to the blind, healing the deaf and the lame; casting out demons and unclean spirits, raising the dead and every other miracle performed.
Jesus said, "And I will pray (to) the Father and He shall give yo another Comforter (the Holy Spirit) that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth (a name for the Holy Spirit) whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but you know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be IN YOU.

Ps. 51:11 reads, "Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me." King David of the Old Testament said this after sinning with Bath-sheba, another man's wife. He knew that God's spirit (the Holy Spirit, the Holy Ghost) was living inside him. It was part of his daily life, It lead him and guided his choices and his prayers and was a valuable source of wisdom and great joy, if he chose to listen. He also knew when it was gone. When he sinned, the Holy Spirit was removed from him and so was his joy, his shame was so great. Many of the Old Testament and New Testament saints were filled with the Holy Spirit also. The Holy Spirit is available for everyone today, who accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Here is an example, an extreme oversimplification of the three personalities of God. Think of God like this: liken God the Father to a massively huge power plant in the sky, 1,000 miles square on each side and 1,000 miles high. The Father runs the universe and supplys all the power and energy to it. Everything comes FROM Him. He is this huge complex with thousands of buildings and structures all connected and working together for the good of all. There would be thousands of miles of walls, floors, windows, wires, tubing, turbine engines cranking out power, and thousands and thousands of computers all keeping track of every aspect of the running of the complex. The Father God is like the headquarters of the complex. Jesus serves as the supervisor and administrator. He is the CEO, the board of directors, the president, vice priesident, the Senate, the House of Representatives, the governor, and the mayor all rolled into one. Everything runs THROUGH Him. He is also our intercessor or mediator IN HEAVEN. He takes our prayer requests here on earth and gives them to the Father in heaven. Jesus is like an extension of the Father. He would be the power lines running out from the complex in heaven down to the earth and into our towns and cities or wherever you are. He is the link between the two worlds- the spiritual and the physical. Liken Him to the electric cords coming out of the appliances on your computer or refrigerator or toaster or television, or radio. He is like the sockets in your wall where you plug in your appliances to receive electricity. The Holy Ghost then, is like the electricity that flows from the power plant (the Father God) through the wires and cords and sockets (Jesus) and reaches you. He is the power of God manifested in and on the earth; The Holy Spirit is our advocate HERE ON EARTH, now that Jesus is no longer down here. When Christian's talk about 'HEARING' God or His voice, it is the Holy Spirit speaking.
There is no Trinity. There is only the Father and His Spirit which He imparts to all those that are His and by that imparting (if you will), is how we become His Children. He gave the example of having children by when a man and a woman have sex and the two become one flesh. If you recall the flesh of Eve is from Adam. And therefore, all the Children therefore have the flesh of Adam. We are ALL of Adam's flesh. Likewise, God imparts of His Spirit the same way AS THE TYPE that HE provided. If everyone would learn from the example of the creation that He made then you would understand.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,696 times
As Christ says;" No one knows the Son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the Son and whoever the Sons wishes reveal Him."

Scripture has ir;

"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets."

"The Lord guides the humble to justice and He teaches the meek His way."

"The friendship of the Lord is with those who revere Him and He makes His covenant known to them."

"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will make justice dawn for you like the light; bright as the noon day will be your vindication.

"Light dawns for the righteous, and joy for the upright of heart."

"Those who trust in the Lord shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love:"

" The Lord’s power shall be known to his servants, but to his enemies, his wrath."

Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
The Holy Ghost (aka the Holy Spirit) is simply the Spirit of God the Father in Heaven. So let's define what "spirit" is so that you can understand it better.

Spirit would be "being". So spirit is WHO you are. It is what character and mental traits define you as you. The Holy Spirit then is that BEING that defines the Father in Heaven.

Now many are going to tell you that it is a 3rd person distinct from the Father and the Son but the scriptures refute such a notion. By having the Holy Spirit we put on the Spirit of our Father in Heaven. This means his character and traits are becoming ours.

Compare the example we are given by the flesh. When you were born your parents passed on to your their physical traits and that is now what comprises you in appearance. The same happens with God but from the mental (non physical) side of it. So by Jesus speaking words (comprised of air (pneuma) and meaning) we get the Father's Spirit in us so long as we believe in those Words. This is effectively how the Spirit is Transmitted and Obtained.

Hope that helps.
Very good post.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There are those who deny that Jesus Christ is God despite the clear Biblical statements that He is God, and there are those who deny that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity despite the fact that the Bible shows Him to be a distinct Person of the Godhead along with the Father and the Son. You can do further research if you wish, or not.
There are no clear statements within the Scriptures in reference to a Trinity, only an interpretation from the doctrines of men.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
There is no Trinity. There is only the Father and His Spirit which He imparts to all those that are His and by that imparting (if you will), is how we become His Children. He gave the example of having children by when a man and a woman have sex and the two become one flesh. If you recall the flesh of Eve is from Adam. And therefore, all the Children therefore have the flesh of Adam. We are ALL of Adam's flesh. Likewise, God imparts of His Spirit the same way AS THE TYPE that HE provided. If everyone would learn from the example of the creation that He made then you would understand.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
I am inclined by and through the Spirit to agree.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM

505 posts, read 574,843 times
Scripture gives us multiple verses about the Holy Spirit: who He is and what He does. Here is a list of Biblical "facts" about the Holy Ghost. Hit me up for specific verses if you want to follow up an on any of them. The Holy Spirit:

1. was "found with child of" in the virgin Mary
2. men can be baptized with Him
3. can be blasphemed
4. is equal in authority with the Father and the Son
5. speaks through men
6. fills men
7. comes upon men
8. can descend in bodily form
9. men can be full of the Holy Spirit
10. teaches
11. is given to all believers
12. has been sent to us
13. can be received
14. gave commandments
15. is promised to us
16. is a gift to us
17. can be lied to
18. bears witness
19. can be resisted
20. can be given by laying on of hands
21. brings comfort
22. gives anointing and power
23. can fall on men
24. can be poured out
25. sends missionaries
26. makes decisions
27. directs ministers
28. makes overseers
29. gives peace and joy
30. sanctifies
31. dwells in men
32. approves men
33. communes (communicates) with men
34. inspired the gospel
35. renews men
36. gives gifts
37. men are partakers of Him
38. can move men
39. is one in unity with both the Father and the Son
40. helps in prayer

Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

Can you guys explain to me, what or who is the "Holy Ghost"? I always hear, The Son, The Father and the Holy Ghost. I am a Christian and believe it or not I do not know what a Holy Ghost is. I know who the Son and the Father is, God and Jesus but who is the Holy Ghost?
Thanks, Roma
There is No Holy Spook. The word translated into English as ghost is really spirit.

Such as when God sends forth his spirit things are created.....- Psalm 104 v 30

Both Father and Son are always referred to in the masculine and never in the neuter [ it ]
However, God's spirit is sometimes mentioned in the neuter [ it ] such as at Numbers 11 vs 17, 25
Even in English a neuter can sometime be termed as a he or she as a neuter boat is called as a 'she'.

Jesus is never said to have 'Jesus holy spirit' , rather its always ' God's holy spirit '
God's mighty spirit that he uses to accomplish his purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity