Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Rome, Italy (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was a step closer to sainthood Saturday after Pope Benedict XVI signed a decree recognizing the late pontiff's "heroic virtues" and declaring him "venerable," the Vatican said.

A miracle attributed to Pope John Paul's intervention will have to be verified for him to be declared "blessed," or beatified.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ood/index.html

Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM

33,268 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rome, Italy (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was a step closer to sainthood Saturday after Pope Benedict XVI signed a decree recognizing the late pontiff's "heroic virtues" and declaring him "venerable," the Vatican said.

A miracle attributed to Pope John Paul's intervention will have to be verified for him to be declared "blessed," or beatified.

Pope John Paul II a step closer to sainthood - CNN.com
Every believer is a saint as of the moment of salvation.

1 Corinithians 1:2 'To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord and Savior Christ, their Lord and ours.'

A saint is simply someone who has been sanctified. To be sanctified means to be set apart. At the moment of faith in Christ the believer is set apart unto God for salvation.

Being a saint has absolutely nothing to do with any merit on the part of the believer. It has nothing to do with being declared a saint by man because of the kind of life you lived. God has made every believer a saint at the moment of salvation. This is the revealed truth of the word of God.

We as believers are saints by the grace of God. Not by our works.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

But you don't have to call me Saint Mike

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-19-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Wow! I beat the Pope to saint "hood"

Old 12-19-2009, 03:35 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,568 times
Why do you guys never listen to us. You ask questions, make statement. Yet you never listen. Which cause us to have to repeat and repeat and repeat ourselves over and over again.

Yes all souls in heaven, purgatory, and all souls in communion with Christ on Earth are saints. We've told you this many times before. Being a canonized Saint is just a special group of people that lead exemplary lives on Earth, that we can look up too. Not that you can't look up to anyone. Please know what your talking about, before you open your mouth. And for once, LISTEN to what we tell you about our beliefs.

Here is a quick lesson about the communion of Saints.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Communion of Saints

Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Why do you guys never listen to us. You ask questions, make statement. Yet you never listen. Which cause us to have to repeat and repeat and repeat ourselves over and over again.

Yes all souls in heaven, purgatory, and all souls in communion with Christ on Earth are saints. We've told you this many times before. Being a canonized Saint is just a special group of people that lead exemplary lives on Earth, that we can look up too. Not that you can't look up to anyone. Please know what your talking about, before you open your mouth. And for once, LISTEN to what we tell you about our beliefs.

Here is a quick lesson about the communion of Saints.
When it comes to the Word of God or man made traditions, I will always choose the Word of God.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
When it comes to the Word of God or man made traditions, I will always choose the Word of God.
Do you just throw that out there whenever you don't know what your talking about. I'm agreeing with you. Or did you not even bother reading what I said. All souls in heaven are SAINTS. Why don't you ever listen. I'll say it again. All souls in heaven are SAINTS. Here, one more time for you. ALL SOULS IN HEAVEN ARE SAINTS. Being a canonized saint is completely different from what you are talking about.

Try actually leaning for once.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Pope John Paul II a step closer to sainthood - CNN.com
What miracle are they attributing to him? Hiding pedophile priests from the law for an absurdly length of time?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Do you just throw that out there whenever you don't know what your talking about. I'm agreeing with you. Or did you not even bother reading what I said. All souls in heaven are SAINTS. Why don't you ever listen. I'll say it again. All souls in heaven are SAINTS. Here, one more time for you. ALL SOULS IN HEAVEN ARE SAINTS. Being a canonized saint is completely different from what you are talking about.

Try actually leaning for once.
I simply presented the Biblical view of what a saint is in contrast to the man made tradition of a saint, for the benefit of anyone who might be confused on the matter. But to correct what you just said, the believer on earth is a saint at the very moment he believes in Christ. He does not have to wait until he is in Heaven.

Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, to the saints who are at Ephesus.

1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 2) to the church of God which is at Corinth to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

A saint is someone who has been sanctified which means to be set apart.

For anyone who is interested, there are three stages of sanctification.

1) Positional sanctification. The believer is put into union with Christ through the baptism of the Holy Spirit at the moment of faith in Christ (1 Cor. 12:13). Positional sanctifcation at salvation makes every believer in union with Christ positionally higher than angels. (Hebrews 1 and 2).

2) Experiential sanctification. This is the result of spiritual growth after salvation. (Phil. 3:12-17).

3) Ultimate sanctification. This refers to our receiving resurrection bodies at the rapture. (Phil. 3:20-21).

Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,438,567 times
Pope John Paul II as a saint for the RCC...awesome...he deserves it, even though he was already one in God's eyes...but it is good for mankind to see it in real time.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wow! I beat the Pope to saint "hood"
Me too!

Saint Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity