Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,193,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Most? I haven't done a count - but at least some claim a corner on the 'real truth' (I laugh every time I see that phrase online .

However - I see the forum as a wonderful view into the minds/spirits of people. Since there is anonymity people are much more inclined to speak their real thoughts.

The bickering and disagreements in the Christian section of CD is just a sign that Christianity does not have the corner on the 'real truth' as they suppose. Plus, anyone who thinks they have complete truth MUST do something to maintain that (unreasonable) position and defend that position at all costs.

Especially when they believe 'getting it right' determines one's eternal destiny.

I love these forums and have learned so much from being here.

God bless you all.
Repped.

As I've said often, I believe we can be right - yet incomplete. The path of following Him is one of spiritual growth. If I could've read this year's posts 20 years ago, I would've disagreed with myself - perhaps you can say the same . So we can be grounded in the saving blood of Christ, the sovereignty of God the Father, commited to a holy life, etc. and still have differences about His ways - why? Because they're past finding out! (Rom 11:33)

Staying where you are is stagnancy - I want to follow on to know Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Please read and ask God to give you understanding and insight.. Love you.

Dealing With Disagreements: a study of Romans 14
Noble.....but I'm afraid fruitless.....

Brothers and sisters, what exactly are we doing? If you have ears, please hear.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,193,950 times
Yeah, I tried as well...

Agree/Disagree II

Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,578,447 times
Quote:
Please read and ask God to give you understanding and insight.. Love you.

Dealing With Disagreements: a study of Romans 14
ummmmm....I agree if they are non-essentials but not the essential doctrines

Paul constantly butted heads with the other disciples not to mention the church of Corinth and the Laodicean church.

Us bickering can be a form of sin but those of us who allow the gospel to be twisted for the sake of peace and unity can also be a form of sinning.

There is a balance one must find here so as to not lean toward ecumenicalism

That balance is the heart... if people have the right heart in defending the gospel then I cannot see how they are wrong for protecting what they hold to be true and the utmost importance, truth they would die for.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-29-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,406,614 times
We must argue despite the world and our desire to hide from dialog. The world will never "like" christians so that part of the equation is unimportant. There is a lot of junk in christian thought and always will be and only dialog will bring this stuff out. Why have bible classes if all we are going to do is set there and nod yes to everything? There is a lot of crap trying to enter the church, dumb beliefs, ripoffs; none of us has all the truth of this so why keep quiet? The history of the church is a continual argument. Doctrines and dogmas (yes, becoming unimportant to the present dumb church) that many of you hold dear only came from this argument (read some of this history instead of those Olstein and Lucado books and such) that disturbed the past church. I am sure we will not have such great influence but it is our responsibility non the less.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
I was thinking what it would be like if we all agreed on everything

I quess then, the only thing left to do would be to lift or butts off our computer chairs,

and go out to do what Christians do.

( I admit, I'm guilty )

Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I was thinking what it would be like if we all agreed on everything

I quess then, the only thing left to do would be to lift or butts off our computer chairs,

and go out to do what Christians do.

( I admit, I'm guilty )
I like your answer but again we can reach people even in the privacy of our own homes on our computers. Many people are home bound, bedridden and confined to their computers and the only Word they hear or fellowship they receive is through the computer.

I am just saying that I believe it is a gift to discuss scripture in a way where we don't participate in dissention and sinful behavior and we promote growth and encourage others instead of becoming argumentative and defensive. We need to realize that there is a wrong and right way for even sharing on this forum. I pray that we find a better way to share with one another. A way that is pleasing to the Lord.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
Quote:
I like your answer but again we can reach people even in the privacy of our own homes on our computers. Many people are home bound, bedridden and confined to their computers and the only Word they hear or fellowship they receive is through the computer.

I am just saying that I believe it is a gift to discuss scripture in a way where we don't participate in dissention and sinful behavior and we promote growth and encourage others instead of becoming argumentative and defensive. We need to realize that there is a wrong and right way for even sharing on this forum. I pray that we find a better way to share with one another. A way that is pleasing to the Lord.
I agree.

Sadly, it would appear the simple art of conversation is becoming extinct.

There are usaully a wide range of words or phrases to choose from that are not threatening or intimidating.
Perhaps members could keep a dictionary or a thesaurus by their computer.

But, let's face it. This is a public forum full of anarchy.

Choosing to refrain from a response, or to take a breath, count to ten before I respond is a very good excersise for me.

And I enjoy it.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,624,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Paul constantly butted heads with the other disciples not to mention the church of Corinth and the Laodicean church.
Absolutely non-agreement is a Christian virtue.

Yet spiritually mature people will always act in a spirit of love even when disagreeing. For instance - I find my fundie neighbors to be great neighbors as well as my JW and wiccan neighbors and they think the same of me. Yet down the road a bit there are some fundies who fight and bicker in disgusting ways about stupid stuff.

I will agree that non-Christlike behavior is displeasing to God but not good strong debate. If their were no protest against insane interpretations of scripture we could easily be scripturally stoning our disobedient kids right now. The only reason we consider such a notion crazy is that society (at least here in the U.S.) has totally changed since the stoning in the streets age - in fact Jesus himself is credited with putting a stop to that aspect of OT insanity.

Like it or not ALL denominations/believers pick and choose interpretations of scripture which they can be at conscionable peace with and entire Christian cultures move accordingly - finding loopholes for divorce and women with short hair etc etc etc. , banning/endorsing certain gifts and offices ALL according to how they see scripture/dispensations or whatever.

Without free debate we would be under some terrible legalistic dogma and never move forward.

IMO.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Sure that a great point, stop the ought against our neighbour. ... this forum is not a place for arguing and high minded ideas, but it can be used for quiet disputation were malice and pride are absent, and the truth people believe can be shared with all...... where the witness and revelation the Lord God gives us can be share with the body of Christ...... Most churches has only one or a few preacher and every one else must not share their faith unless they take a extented Bible course the church gives and then must shut up........ Jesus has a lot of obese in the word in God People...... Where the Lord need us to spread the word to other people in our walk with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity