Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:08 PM

792 posts, read 1,177,112 times

Advertisements

I have something I'm trying to sort out and I'd like to know what other believers think.
The economy is going down hill, as we all know.
I believe we've been given a time line of about 2 years before it really gets ugly (not that it's not ugly already).

What I mean is the price of gas, food & utilities sky rocketing.
I don't know exactly when the Lord will come for His children.

I don't want to sit around and not prepare. Spiritually, I always need to keep preparing, but I'd like to know about preparing economically.

Different things can happen. The company I work for could go out of business as so many others have done already.

It makes sense to buy extra food and keep rotating it. I make payments on my vehicle that won't be paid off for another 4 years.
I make a house payment that won't be paid off for 25 years.
I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck and save a little here and there but not much.

I'm not extravagant. I live a fairly simple life. I am content.
God is so kind as He has provided me with a fine place to lay my head each night and a comfortable home to live in with a job that provides for me and He's has given me a reliable form of transportation.
Having said that-
I need a new front and back door for the house. The ones I have would be easy to break into and are just plain cheap as this is an older home.
There's not much insulation in the house so it's drafty and not efficient.
I use a gas furnace to heat my home.

Knowing what I know or think I know- would it be wise to purchase a small vent free gas fireplace? My home is about 800 sq. ft. and they have small ones that would give heat.
I'm thinking about this as I don't know what I'd do for heat if I had no electricity for some reason.

Since the economy is the way it is- I could find myself without a job and I'd surely lose the house as I can't be a day without a job to make my payments.
I barely keep my head above the water.
Should I just ride it out and not replace the 2 doors? If I lost my home I'd get nothing back.
What I'm trying to ask is, should I spend money maintaining my home and doing some improvements as I can afford or should I save my money and wait for a couple of years or so and see how bad things get?

I'm not very good at explaining what I mean but I'd sure appreciate any help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
What I'm trying to ask is, should I spend money maintaining my home and doing some improvements as I can afford or should I save my money and wait for a couple of years or so and see how bad things get?

I'm not very good at explaining what I mean but I'd sure appreciate any help with this.
I can see where you are coming from but from what I can see you are not waisting money, the improvements in your home can save you money in your utility bills. Look I know these are troubling times but live and don't deprive yourself of neccesities just because something may or may not happen. Put all your trust in God but be wise with your money too.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM

136 posts, read 203,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I can see where you are coming from but from what I can see you are not waisting money, the improvements in your home can save you money in your utility bills. Look I know these are troubling times but live and don't deprive yourself of neccesities just because something may or may not happen. Put all your trust in God but be wise with your money too.
That is such good advice, if I have a roof over my head a car that runs, food in my tummy, for me there is not much need for more.
I would also suggest try not worry.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Check out weatherization programs administered by state or local governments.

I know the Obama admisitration has handed out lots of stimulus money to the states for energy conservation programs.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,106 times
I am in Canada. Is the economy not slowly gaining ground? Where I live in Canada there is bidding wars once again for real estate....mind you we are hosting the Olympics shortly and they say that our economy could go into the toilet post Olympics.

What we hear in Canada is that our economy is gaining in the positive and so is the US. Is this not so?

Dawter, it sounds like you have everything to be thankful for. Do improvements a little at a time. My husband and I just bought a little cabin on a lake...our dream..... and through the whole deal I kept saying to him, "what if one of us gets sick one day" "what if one of us loses our job one day" "what if what if what if". We need to live too. If what if happens....we shall deal with it then....

Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 AM

Thank you so much for your help! I just wasn't sure of what to do.
Again, I appreciate your help and also the words of encouragement that you all gave.

I'll look into buying 2 new doors and a small gas heater.
May the Lord bless you with His presence.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Sure the economy was hard, but Jesus Christ has already turned it around in the right direction it can only get better..... Pay down your debts now for if you got a morgage it will not overwelm your finances..... Pay Tithes and offerings and expect the harvest of the Lord God. expect the Lord will always have money to give offerings for you.... Expect expect and expect the charity for you Jesus said ``Pay your charity and I will fill your barns flowing over``in some what the word in Malachi: 3

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Pay down your debts now for if you got a morgage it will not overwelm your finances..... Pay Tithes and offerings and expect the harvest of the Lord God. expect the Lord will always have money to give offerings for you.... Expect expect and expect the charity for you Jesus said ``Pay your charity and I will fill your barns flowing over``in some what the word in Malachi: 3
Expecting gain from charity isn't charity, but a bribe. Expecting gain from a tithe isn't tithing, but a bribe.

God wants His people to return to Him, and their children. To serve Him alone, and not other gods. He does desire to bless His children, but only those who do His will, from the heart. Not from the pocketbook.

Having a storehouse is biblical, even from the time of Joseph. We are expected to do this, so we do not fall under the thumb of evil gods(rulers). People are enslaved for lack of knowledge, but knowledge is only half the battle. Serving God the Father's will is our primary task.

So even if you lost everything, be thankful He can use you in some other way. Even if it meant eating bugs and preaching the coming of the King.

Quote:
Sure the economy was hard, but Jesus Christ has already turned it around in the right direction it can only get better.....
Really? Is that what the Word teaches us? We are enslaved by the powers of Egypt, Babylon, and Rome,,,even more so than at those times,,,and Jesus' people have turned aside to serve the wealth of the mammon, and the masters(gods) who control it,,,and Christians really believe it is Jesus who has control over this ungodly system? Interesting.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure the economy was hard, but Jesus Christ has already turned it around in the right direction it can only get better..... Pay down your debts now for if you got a morgage it will not overwelm your finances..... Pay Tithes and offerings and expect the harvest of the Lord God. expect the Lord will always have money to give offerings for you.... Expect expect and expect the charity for you Jesus said ``Pay your charity and I will fill your barns flowing over``in some what the word in Malachi: 3
My goodness, HLJC.
I give because God has placed the desire in my heart to give, not to get a blessing or payback!
I give because of the Lord. I don't pay tithes as God doesn't need anything from me. God has everything.
However, God does desire to have a relationship with us and that is why He sent His Son to take our place on the cross.

God wants us to give from the heart not from the mindset that if I give to Him I'll get back something in return. God has already given me more, much more than I deserve or could ever imagine. By my giving to Him whether it be money or time it is pure joy in doing so.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
My goodness, HLJC.
I give because God has placed the desire in my heart to give, not to get a blessing or payback!
I give because of the Lord. I don't pay tithes as God doesn't need anything from me. God has everything.
However, God does desire to have a relationship with us and that is why He sent His Son to take our place on the cross.

God wants us to give from the heart not from the mindset that if I give to Him I'll get back something in return. God has already given me more, much more than I deserve or could ever imagine. By my giving to Him whether it be money or time it is pure joy in doing so.

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo !

You get the silver star with a cherry on top !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity