Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times

Advertisements

To imply AT ALL that anyone, ANYONE, irregardless of age or anything else is sick due to a "disobedience to god" is not only completely offensive and disturbing, but as well ignorant and ugly to even suggest. I dare anyone who actually believes this to approach a sickly person, be it a child, adult, or even family member and tell them that. Often I will preface some harsh things I say on here with an apology or some degree of understanding, but for this subject- no way. I stand firm that the topic of this thread is based in pure ugliness and negativity and I think it is terrible for anyone who has lost a loved one to have to even come to realize that there are some people on this planet who lack the sensitivity it takes to refrain for suggesting such notions.

On a side note, to add something positive here, I would like to say that if there is anyone on here who has lost someone close to you due to illness or strife of any kind, my heart goes out to you, and please know that whomever it was who left this earth did so simply because they had already given you and the world all they were able to give, and it was their time to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
To imply AT ALL that anyone, ANYONE, irregardless of age or anything else is sick due to a "disobedience to god" is not only completely offensive and disturbing, but as well ignorant and ugly to even suggest. I dare anyone who actually believes this to approach a sickly person, be it a child, adult, or even family member and tell them that. Often I will preface some harsh things I say on here with an apology or some degree of understanding, but for this subject- no way. I stand firm that the topic of this thread is based in pure ugliness and negativity and I think it is terrible for anyone who has lost a loved one to have to even come to realize that there are some people on this planet who lack the sensitivity it takes to refrain for suggesting such notions.

On a side note, to add something positive here, I would like to say that if there is anyone on here who has lost someone close to you due to illness or strife of any kind, my heart goes out to you, and please know that whomever it was who left this earth did so simply because they had already given you and the world all they were able to give, and it was their time to go.
I agree 100%. This kind of teaching comes from the occult/New Age/Christian Science, etc. NOT from Christian tradition.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hmmm, what about Paul's "thorn in the flesh" which some scholars say is an eye disorder. Would you say that the Apostle Paul was disobedient then?

And what about Pastor Billy Joe of Victory Christian Center. He just passed away from Cancer along with many other Godly Christian leaders.

What would you say about those people? Just curious.
The thorn in the flesh was a messenger of satan to cause problems for Paul, not a sickness.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
My thoughts:

If you read the OP, you'll see that Donna didn't actually say that ALL sickness is caused by sin, but simply that MANY are sick because of disobeying God. (sin) Well, it's true: many are sick because of sin. I don't have a problem with that statement, because I think there is much truth to it.

Example: a young person is promiscuous sexually, then later on comes down with "AIDS", or some other horrible STD. Did their sickness arise because of sin? Yes, it sure did.

Another example: the sin of parents, passed on down to you. (before you poo-poo this concept, read on) My wife has asthma, which is really bad at times. She has to have an "inhaler" on hand at all times, and a "nebulizer" at home, for the more severe attacks. Sometimes she can barely breathe, and, frankly, it's scarey. So...what horriblel sin did she commit, that caused her sickness? NONE! It was no sin of hers. It was the sin of her father, who smoked FOUR packs of cigarettes a day, while she was growing up! Their house was practically always heavily filled with smoke, not a good place for a child with young developing lungs. In those days, not much thought was given to second-hand smoke...but now we see grown-ups paying the price, for what their parents did, so long ago. Is there more to this "sin of the fathers"? IMO: there certainly could be. I think we've only barely scratched the surface on learning what all entails causation of sickness, because I think there are many many causes, and not just sin.

The Bible relates stories of some who were sick due to demonic influence or attack. I have no first-hand experience dealing with this...so won't comment beyond to say that I think there is sometimes a link there too.

Bottem line: there seems to be a definite link between sickness and sin, but not ALL sickness is caused by sin, or even by the sin of the person who is sick...it's a very complex issue.

Sickness is a serious subject, because so many of us here on the forum are struggling with sickness...either us, or our loved ones. Please be in prayer about this common problem...and that some of the replies here will give us insight into understanding this...

Bud
I agree with this. Good post,Bud.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I agree with this. Good post,Bud.
I agree as well. The sin of disobedience can bring many nasty consequences to those who live in it.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree as well. The sin of disobedience can bring many nasty consequences to those who live in it.
It amazes me that such primitive concepts still exist! These were the thoughts of the Salem magistrates that killed the supposed witches! Demons everywhere from your sin! Problem is that when the Kupps get sick.. what then? They say they are sinless so I guess either they are wrong now or do sin which causes the sickness. As we age getting sick is inevitable. I wonder if the Kupps ever get immunized.. Demon repellent shots perhaps?

Seems like the logic of this thread leaves no room for empathy toward those who are ill regardless of the cause.

I thought we left such superstitious nonsense behind years ago.. what century are we living in anyway?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It amazes me that such primitive concepts still exist! These were the thoughts of the Salem magistrates that killed the supposed witches! Demons everywhere from your sin! Problem is that when the Kupps get sick.. what then? They say they are sinless so I guess either they are wrong now or do sin which causes the sickness. As we age getting sick is inevitable. I wonder if the Kupps ever get immunized.. Demon repellent shots perhaps?

Seems like the logic of this thread leaves no room for empathy toward those who are ill regardless of the cause.

I thought we left such superstitious nonsense behind years ago.. what century are we living in anyway?
I think you misunderstood what was written by Bud.....he clearly stated that not ALL sickness is caused by sin but some is (Aids, STD, etc.) wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I think you misunderstood what was written by Bud.....he clearly stated that not ALL sickness is caused by sin but some is (Aids, STD, etc.) wouldn't you agree?
Death and corruption entered this world through one man, and it is here because our first father sold us into sin and slavery, and the Adam flesh is corrupt, dead, dying, and shall die.
We need Jesus Christ for every breath and every step and every day of our lives. It isn't any longer about us, but about Him.
There is sickness. Its a fact. There is healing, Its a fact. To try to discern why others might be sick and to make general accusations about reasons is hypocrisy and wrong, like Job's "friends". All one needs to know is what their own relationship is with the LORD.
Yes, God judges His people, but one had better be careful to not point fingers, but to examine themselves rather than others.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
The scriptures teach that many people are sick because they disobey God.

"Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones." Proverbs 3:7-8

"Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted." Psalms 107:17

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." Psalms 119:67

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." Psalms 119:71

"I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." Psalms 119:75

Donna Kupp

You can't be serious. Did I accidentally fall back into the dark ages? Do you burn witches too?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I do agree with a lot of what Bud has to say but sometimes I also believe in the saying "Only the Good Die Young" My Father died young and he was the most giving, unmaterialistic man....it broke my heart when cancer took him just as he was entering retirement.

I also believe that there is always a reason for why things happen and as strange as it may seem, my life really turned around after my Father's death....I feel he has been able to help me more on the other side than he could here.

I am sorry SisterKat about your father passing so young. Oftentimes I've wondered why this happens. When I was young in the Lord, a wonderful, godly man in our congregation died, at around age 40. He was a Sunday-school teacher, and had a wonderful singing voice. Then, one day, and accident happened, and he died. I wanted to know why...why so young? Why didn't the Lord prevent that? Then I saw this passage:

Isaiah: 57:1

"The righteous perish,
and no one ponders it in his heart;
devout men are taken away,
and no one understands
that the righteous are taken away
to be spared from evil."

God bless you,
Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity