Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a fear-based religion?
Yes, Christianity is a fear-based religion. 14 32.56%
No, Christianity is based on love. 12 27.91%
Yes, all man-made religions are fear-based. 0 0%
Maybe but it depends on the kind of Christianity. 12 27.91%
Other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times

Advertisements

Is Christianity a fear-based religion?

I view Modern Christianity as a fear-based religion.

It seems to me to be the reverse of what sacrifices were. Instead of trying to appease their god with sacrificial animals, today's Christians try to appease their god with adherence to rules and doctrine.

I see that the only thing stopping some Christians from accepting most doctrine is the fear that if they are wrong they will burn in hell.

To me that is a fear-based faith and not a true faith..

Do you feel that if you do not have the absolute truth you will be punished by your god?

Do you fear there will be consequences from God if you even listen to another view of the gospel?

What motivates you spiritually? Fear or Love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
I guess it depends on what kind of Christianity it is.
And I also notice a difference between Christians in America and in Europe.

Because I don't believe in an afterlife I like to believe that I'm not motivated by fear.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
The more you move down the Christian spectrum toward the evangelicals/Bible literalists, the more it's driven by fear. You'll find little, if any, threats of hell or using certain groups of people (gays, atheists, scientists, the government) to scare people in mainline Christianity. Although Catholicism seems a bit guilt driven.

Personally, I think the evangelical denominations want to control people and fear is a great tool for them.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
I am sorry but this a loaded question. Our opinions are irrelevant. The answer is in scripture; the OT as well as the NT.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,343 times
No it is not fear based if approached properly.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Not a loaded question... Just opinion for the sake of opinion.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,580 times
That depends on where you learn it from and even where you live. When I was growing up in the South, "the devil is gonna getcha for that" was a commonplace thing to say. Religion is very deep there and had many influences. It was wonderful to grow up with but it did have some fear based in it, mostly for misbehaving children!

The Christianity I believe in as an adult is based on love and acceptance that Jesus died for everyone's sins. I believe that following the Bible is the most important place to shape my beliefs from. I don't feel fear about what I believe nor is any fear promoted in my church or from other believers.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Is Christianity a fear-based religion?
Christianity as in the Good News, is about Jesus Christ in having that reconciled relationship with God.

Religion as in what is in the power of man to do... visit the fatherless and widows in their distresses.. that is neighborly love that one can be religious about.

Christianity is a relationship based on trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Quote:
I view Modern Christianity as a fear-based religion.
I do not doubt because of the many false prophets that you see it that way.

Quote:
It seems to me to be the reverse of what sacrifices were. Instead of trying to appease their god with sacrificial animals, today's Christians try to appease their god with adherence to rules and doctrine.

I see that the only thing stopping some Christians from accepting most doctrine is the fear that if they are wrong they will burn in hell.
Then they do not know Jesus Christ otherwise, they would be resting in Him. Matthew 11:28-30 is a call to the religious to rest in Him.

Quote:
To me that is a fear-based faith and not a true faith..

Do you feel that if you do not have the absolute truth you will be punished by your god?
Yep. No lie can be of the truth and to embrace a lie will somehow void the effect of the Gospel and steal the joy of salvation away. Because believers have been bought with a price and sealed as His, God will chasten every child received that have engaged in works of darkness that denies Him so that they may be partakers of His holiness... even if they be punished to become vessels unto dishonour in God's House: but they will still be witnesses of the power of God in salvation in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Do you fear there will be consequences from God if you even listen to another view of the gospel?
People are always presenting another view of the Gospel at one time or another so avoiding hearing such a thing is not possible. It is accepting and going after another gosple from what we had heard... yeah... God will chasten us for that iniquity.

Quote:
What motivates you spiritually? Fear or Love?
Both. Reverant fear and love.

Would you accept another gosple that says that Jesus Christ's death on the cross was not enough and that more was needed for salvation? That is called labouring in unbelief and coming short of that rest in Jesus Christ.

Would you accept another gosple that says we can sin and do whatever we want? The what would be the point of reconciling us to God if we continue to live in sin? Did not Jesus came in to the world to save sinners from their sins so that they should no longer live in sin but live as His?

Would you accpet another gosple that says that God is not done making you His yet and that you are not complete and so you must seek another spirit to receive thus heeding to another invitation to go after the Holy Spirit, moving away from your resting place in Christ Jesus?

When one think of the devil seeking whomever he may devour, we have to defend the faith out of love for others to keep them from being victimized by the sins that will corrupt as well as the lies of the devil that ensnares.

Since you see christianity as a religion, then may I direct you to having a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ and go to Him in prayer for the wisdom and answers you seek regarding the true gospel of christianity? Usually, all points of discussions should always end by taking the matter to Jesus in prayer since it is on God to cause the increase as we are not the ones that can persuade men otherwise. We can reason, exhort, edify, reprove, and rebuke harshly so that they may be sound in the faith, but it is on God to cause the increase.

A believer can say one thing and another receives the edification whereas another can hear the same thing and yet fail to see the wisdom of it. God has to be the One that peradventure give knowledge unto repentance so that He may recover some from the snare of the devil : 2 Timothy 2:26

So since this is all about having that relationship with God in Jesus Christ and His promise is that all those that seek, shall find, then to Jesus everyone should go to in seeking the truth in God's words as kept by those that loved Him and His words from the documents in Antioch from which the King James Bible was translated from.

Hebrews 5:11Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

2 Timothy 3:15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

So it is Jesus we go to for help in understanding His words so that we may discern what is of the gosple and what is not.. what is of the Lord and what is of the world.

Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Not a loaded question... Just opinion for the sake of opinion.
Opinion should come from scripture. There are alot of unbelievers who read these threads and opinion is a dangerous thing. Christians that give their opinions are ships in a storm without an anchor.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Opinion should come from scripture. There are alot of unbelievers who read these threads and opinion is a dangerous thing. Christians that give their opinions are ships in a storm without an anchor.
Opinion about whether a religion in practice is fear-based or not should come from scripture?

How is that done? Jesus seemed to be against man-made religion and for a personal relationship with God....

So I guess my opinion is that if you are a member of organized religion with rituals and rules you must be against Jesus. Right?

Opinion is opinion. The fact that you can't even participate in a opinion poll is very telling. Perhaps you fear something thus reiterating the opinion of the OP that Christianity (fundamentalism in particular) is fear-based.

One wrong move and you are bound to hell.

Thanks for your support!

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity