Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a fear-based religion?
Yes, Christianity is a fear-based religion. 14 32.56%
No, Christianity is based on love. 12 27.91%
Yes, all man-made religions are fear-based. 0 0%
Maybe but it depends on the kind of Christianity. 12 27.91%
Other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 AM

696 posts, read 915,380 times

Advertisements

It is easy not to have fear when you are of this world.

It is far more easy to assume one can approach God then believe that they would fall to their knees as the prophets did.

It is easy to say Jesus is man.

It is easy to use scripture to your advantage.

It is easy to assume intelligence out of ignorance.

It is easy to claim a faith that loves you first because they are commanded to.

It is easy to post on a forum and attack the very thing you claim to espouse.

It is easy to claim logic, common sense, and reason instead of faith in scripture.

It is easy to believe there is no responsibility toward God for his law.

It is easy to listen to Satan over the very Word of God.

Therefore what need you fear? If you are of the world then why fear? The world loves you. How much more righteous is he or she who choses the difficult path in Christ

Of course Christians dont fear we have Christ and He is our God. If you are Christian be Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
So you're saying that christians shouldn't think for themselves unless their thoughts/opinions come directly from scripture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is exactly what I am saying. Scripture is the ultimate authority-God's word, if your opinion is opposite of scripture then you are wrong but if you think you are right, what authority do you base your opinion if scripture doesn't support you.
Wow, wow. *sigh*...so if you believe in the scripture fully, and the scripture is the ultimate authority, then what about when the bible says things like to stone to death your wife if she is not a virgin, or to stone to death anyone who works on the sabbath day, etc.? If scripture is the ultimate authority/word of god, then you'd have to agree with even the most outdated and barbaric of quotes, which the bible is rife with. Unless you like to pick and choose, and only take literally the quotes that work for you- and I'm sure you don't do that since you are so devout, so how do you defend, and possibly even implement or apply to yourself and your life these extreme scriptures about murder and human sacrifice (which was suggested in Genesis, I forgot who by, but the word "burnt offering" was mentioned as I recall)?

And to answer your question- there is no "authority" that I base my opinion on. I do not need an authority because I am a very educated, sensible and intelligent person, and can think for myself. I base my opinions and any decisions I make on logic and reason while using both my head and my heart, and I am a spiritual person so of course my personal tenet and belief therein also have a strong hand in how I opine and make decisions.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 AM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
Christianity is intentionally fear based because there is a realistic human resoponse to especially end-times senario's that non believers, spiritiualists out there on la la land and untaught people of religion that "don't get" and God lov'em the peapickin young'ins are a quart low on anything scriptual
because their quart low and leak'in parents are well nice but spiritually deprived. Fear tactics can be over the edge at times (maybe). There is a realistic need for sensitivity with outcome response to telling people earthquakes are on there way that may move LA to Oshkosh Wisconsin in 15 minutes hail of the 100 lbs category OK DAS we got the message (no you don't) Yes we do n... Anyway, we christians once given revelations from the likes of Revelations are among the weirdest examples of communication skills. We want to scare the crap out of folks who are lacking scripture between their preoccupied (buying stuff,in debt ,stressed out and being goofey) ears!! Just go to the thread on preparedness (I believe there are two sites) It's a testamonial on how stupid our society is regarding storing food .water filters,backpack (grab and go) etc as very few have checked out these great treads that may save your life........................nevermind.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 01-16-2010 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: format

Old 01-16-2010, 09:29 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am sorry but this a loaded question. Our opinions are irrelevant. The answer is in scripture; the OT as well as the NT.
God gave us all gifts, many gifts that he expects us to fully utilize. One of our greatest gifts is of our brain. Our brain is far more developed than that of animals. We have the gift of thought, of many complex thoughts. To not use this brain of ours to its fullest would be ignoring God's plan for us, which of course goes without saying is wrong.

I do have some scripture to support this conclusion, I Corinthians 12:4-11.(NKJV)

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same[b] Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

To say opinions are irrelevant is one of the reasons that Christianity gets so bashed much for intolerance. We are expected to learn and grow, and yes that means having opinions. But it is the Holy Spirit within us that guides those thoughts/beliefs/opinions. We are going to make mistakes! That's how we learn and grow.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Is Christianity a fear-based religion?

I view Modern Christianity as a fear-based religion.

It seems to me to be the reverse of what sacrifices were. Instead of trying to appease their god with sacrificial animals, today's Christians try to appease their god with adherence to rules and doctrine.

I see that the only thing stopping some Christians from accepting most doctrine is the fear that if they are wrong they will burn in hell.

To me that is a fear-based faith and not a true faith..

Do you feel that if you do not have the absolute truth you will be punished by your god?

Do you fear there will be consequences from God if you even listen to another view of the gospel?

What motivates you spiritually? Fear or Love?
Religion is often based on fear, but the true historic Christian Faith is based on Gods love for mankind in a personal relationship with Jesus the Sin Bearer and Redeemer . While God is love, he is also Just in his character ... and would rather have you accept his free undeserved gift of love thru sending Christ to die for your many sins, than, for you to deny this and be faced with his justice. Either way, ones sins MUST be accounted for and we all must make a decision regarding Christ --- essentially, WE choose our eternity and a wise person takes advantage of the free undeserved gift God offers so eternity can be spent in Gods wonderful and awesome presence.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
God gave us all gifts, many gifts that he expects us to fully utilize. One of our greatest gifts is of our brain. Our brain is far more developed than that of animals. We have the gift of thought, of many complex thoughts. To not use this brain of ours to its fullest would be ignoring God's plan for us, which of course goes without saying is wrong.

I do have some scripture to support this conclusion, I Corinthians 12:4-11.(NKJV)

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same[b] Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

To say opinions are irrelevant is one of the reasons that Christianity gets so bashed much for intolerance. We are expected to learn and grow, and yes that means having opinions. But it is the Holy Spirit within us that guides those thoughts/beliefs/opinions. We are going to make mistakes! That's how we learn and grow.
Easybreasy....what a beautiful post. These wonderful gifts from God and they are given differently but available to all! I believe that as we grow closer to God, not only our intellect, but our soul is able to absorb the ability in receiving said gifts.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 AM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
Christianity is fear-based -- no doubt.

However, there are two broad categories of Christians: 1) those who uses fears to control others, and 2) those who are being controlled by others under fears.

A good analogy is: 1) Bin Laden, and 2) terrorist bombers.

In all religions, it's all about the game of fooling others or being fooled by others -- it's a controlling game. Smart-asses always fool the dumb-asses.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
OT; we have to perfectly walk this tightrope. if we fall, we're dead

NT; we have to perfectly walk this tightrope. if we fall He is there to catch us.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
The fear-based Christianity is the false gospel everyone keeps expecting to happen in the future. The satanic corruptions and deceptions already happened while humans were far more ignorant, superstitious and utterly foolish than MOST of us today (not all, unfortunately). The satanic corruptions worked early and fast to retain and emphasize fear over the real message of love from Jesus and His unambiguous correction of the misunderstandings about the TRUE nature of God. This sets up a Catch 22 about correcting the deceit. We are told to reject and distrust "man's" knowledge, test all "false spirits" and doctrine against the already corrupted versions, accept the obvious contradictions and illogic that we cannot understand in our "finite, flawed state", and believe the absurd rationalizations for the inconsistencies between the OT misunderstandings of Jehovah and the nature of Jesus and His teachings. The aspirations of power-hungry men, the rigidity of dogma and the cultivated and encouraged ignorance ever since has precluded the desired and expected revisions from "milk" to "solid food" . . . ( the "new wineskins" for each new generation of "wine") . . . as humankind grew in wisdom and understanding. It is a truly frustrating situation.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:58 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Regarding the topic of fear and love... Look in the Word for the answer. It is everywhere between the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation. And if you don't believe in Christianity or the Word of God go to another forum.

The question has been answered here on several different posts to the point of being repeatly monotonous.. As I read through the different posts I am struck with the thoughts of this becoming another argument exposing the different opinions of men.. Men that are fallable. Men that have come from different backgrounds therefore having different perspectives, different views.

It is highly recommended for one to search these things out in the BIBLE, pray, meditate and seek. Spend time alone with the living God and then ask God for the answer. And if you don't have a relationship with Him you need to get one. The time is now and the Kingdom of God is at hand.

I am the Way the Truth and the Life...No one comes to the Father but through me...

Lord help us to sort out these things. Lord you are the God of Love and you Love us.. Your message is not a message of fear, but of love, freedom and joy. If we lack in any understanding in these areas please help us to understand what YOU have to say Lord. We desire Truth.. Show us what you want us to KNOW and keep anything from us that would hinder hearing from you and KNOWING who you are.. Forgive us for judging that you are anything other than who you are. Some of us do not know you completely yet we want to and if we don't want to help us to understand why. Have we been hurt? Then show us how we have been hurt and help us to forgive..

We thank you Lord for all you do even when we don't understand... Forgive us, we truly need you in our lives.

Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity