Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 13,663 times

Advertisements

Good movie, plenty of action, not bad story, good actors.

*Spoiler*

Still can't believe he was blind, awesome twist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Clearly the message is - the bible in the hand of man is a VERY dangerous book.
Very relevant today.

Quote:
The other conflicting element in the movie is the idea of "faith." Denzel's character claims he "heard a voice in his head" and knowing this, in any situation reflects someone who is nuts, he HAS to state he is not crazy for listening to a strange voice in his head. Obviously, those of faith have to reaffirm to the world they are not crazy for doing something they would be considered crazy for in other similar situations.
That would make Abraham a lune.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That would make Abraham a lune.
I've been saying that for years now IF the storyteller is telling the truth as HE was clearly not around when Abraham was hearing voices. Muhammad claimed he heard an angel talking to him too.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,739,096 times
I thought it was a great movie, really liked it a lot! Question on the blindness....when do you think he went blind? Was he blind from the war and God gave him his vision to make the trek west, since the Bible was in Braille...or did he go blind when he was shot and the lightning strike...he couldn't have blind through the whole movie and fight like that...I watched twice and paid attention to his eyes lol

Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM

530 posts, read 903,336 times
Ummm did you just spoil the moive for those who haven't seen it? I did see it & it was great! I've actually seen it a lot - about 4 or 5 times.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
...he couldn't have blind through the whole movie and fight like that...I watched twice and paid attention to his eyes lol
There was a few hiccups in the screenplay, like when he and Solara were on the front porch of the elderly couple and he reached out to open the door - he put his thumb directly on the door latch.

No blind person could possibly know exacly where the thumb depressor would be located, or that it was that type of latch to begin with.

And did you notice the station wagon that was driven by them to the west coast? It was covered with iron by the bad guys, including the door windows with only a small hole cut out for vision. Then when Solara drove it back to pick up the wounded Eli, her window was rolled down so she could talk to him.

There's not a window regulator around that could move sheet metal like that, nor could it fit down into the door...

Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,739,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Ummm did you just spoil the moive for those who haven't seen it? I did see it & it was great! I've actually seen it a lot - about 4 or 5 times.

well it's been out for quite a bit really...???

Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,543 times
I thought it was a great movie, although I thought it was a little strange that he annouced what version it was.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I thought it was a great movie, really liked it a lot! Question on the blindness....when do you think he went blind? Was he blind from the war and God gave him his vision to make the trek west, since the Bible was in Braille...or did he go blind when he was shot and the lightning strike...he couldn't have blind through the whole movie and fight like that...I watched twice and paid attention to his eyes lol
Spoilers

I think he was blind from birth or at least for some time before the war. It seems unlikely he would have found anyone to teach him to read Braille after the war. Although if you are ever unlucky enough to be near a nuclear explosion (though far enough away not to be killed) close and cover your eyes or turn away. From close enough the blast can cause temporary or permanent blindness. I've read that the pilots of Air Force One wear an eye patch at all times in case they're flying towards such an explosion so they will still have one good eye.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Quote:

The other conflicting element in the movie is the idea of "faith." Denzel's character claims he "heard a voice in his head" and knowing this, in any situation reflects someone who is nuts, he HAS to state he is not crazy for listening to a strange voice in his head. Obviously, those of faith have to reaffirm to the world they are not crazy for doing something they would be considered crazy for in other similar situations.
Solara had no basis for understanding what he was telling her. She didn't even realize what he was doing when he prayed. I daresay even the most zealous atheist in the world today would know what someone praying looked like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity