Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,296,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

That I agree with but why was it blasphemy to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

~Perhaps because based upon the culture and religion of the time, the utterance was considered and regarded as "blasphemous?"

Hellooooo.....!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,296,543 times
Default Only to be expounded upon by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because Jesus calling Himself God was a great crime to the Jews punishable by death. The religious leaders refused to believe Jesus' words might true (kind of like some people today).
Yup.

(June: Still trying to understand the point here.)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,155,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Yup.

(June: Still trying to understand the point here.)
This forum makes one goofy at times, lol . Seems like this one will be a very short thread...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,506,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because Jesus calling Himself God was a great crime to the Jews punishable by death. The religious leaders refused to believe Jesus' words might true (kind of like some people today).
So a person just claiming to be a Son of God was an offence worthy of crucifiction? Are you glad you didn`t live back then?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,155,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
So a person just claiming to be a Son of God was an offence worthy of crucifiction? Are you glad you didn`t live back then?
I am pretty much sure that this thread is done, lol

Last edited by Raelyn28; 01-19-2010 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: wrong word.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 PM

823 posts, read 1,406,952 times
Some try to say that the Pharisees knew Jesus was claiming to be God, and this is why they pick up stones. But is this true? Not exactly.
They were already extremely irritated with Jesus, because he is claiming a special relationship with God, calling himself the Son of God, and even the Messiah. So I suppose you can say that they are already fed up with him.
In Jewish tradition, the prophets & Abrahamic fathers are a BIG DEAL. So when Jesus is talking, notice they get mad and say, “Are you greater than Abraham, who died, and the prophets, who died?”
Jesus essentially answers, “Yes.” They didn’t like this, and wanted to kill him. Again, not because he is claiming to BE GOD. But because Jesus is claiming greater authority than Abraham, and the prophets. This would have been absolutely considered a blasphemy, especially when they apparently weren’t convinced Jesus was even the Messiah in the first place (or else why have him killed?). By Jesus saying that he had pre-existence, it was saying he was greater than even father Abraham. Even today if someone said this to a Jew, they would probably get extremely offended.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,627,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Blasphemy means "to hold cheap". It would mean to take something to devalue it. For example, to bring God to being less powerful than what He is or to hold His character in a lesser valued state then what it actually is.
There's your answer AISI too fundy. The real question is "Why is a son of God God?"

Answer: The same reason a son of man is man.

It's not rocket science really (even though some theologians can make rocket science seem like a kindergarden class by comparison to how they overcomplicate these simple matters).

29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. 30 I and My Father are one." 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God."

Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,284 times
Quote:
(Matthew 26:63-66)

63But Jesus kept silent And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God." 64Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."
65Then the high priest tore his robes and said, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;
66what do you think?" They answered, "He deserves death!"

Why would Jesus claiming to be the Son of God be blasphemy? and what if Jesus isn't God then what is He and what does the "Son" signify?
The main problem I see is that they weren't trying to kill him for blasphemy (although they may have used that as their excuse)...they wanted him killed because everyone was beginning to follow him. He was becoming more popular than they were and he was usurping their position with the people. He constantly berated them for their shallow following of the law and for putting their oral traditions above the law teaching they were to be followed instead of the law. It was nothing but a huge power play on their part. Doesn't anyone else see this?

Jesus was a man, a perfect man....which gave him the right to become The Christ (the annointing of The Mesiah). God gave him that special annointing at his baptism because of his perfect faithfulness and obedience...something we can all achieve. So many try to take that away from him and call him God (they nullify his perfect life)...and then they proceed to say that we cannot become like Jesus, holy and perfect as the Father is perfect. Jesus expressly told us that this was our calling....to become ONE with the Father, the same way he did...he showed us The Way to do it by having the same faithfulness he did to God, we are all children of God, sons and daughters, we just have to live the same way Jesus did. This is what taking up your cross means. Why would Jesus tell us to be holy and perfect if we were not able to accomplish this? He wouldn't.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,161,106 times
Quote:
(Matthew 26:63-66)

63But Jesus kept silent And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God." 64Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."
65Then the high priest tore his robes and said, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;
66what do you think?" They answered, "He deserves death!"

Why would Jesus claiming to be the Son of God be blasphemy? and what if Jesus isn't God then what is He and what does the "Son" signify?
If Jesus was GOD Almighty, the Father, the Creator, the EVERYTHING,,,,,

then He would not be sitting at the "right hand of power",,,,he would BE THE POWER.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,161,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The main problem I see is that they weren't trying to kill him for blasphemy (although they may have used that as their excuse)...they wanted him killed because everyone was beginning to follow him. He was becoming more popular than they were and he was usurping their position with the people. He constantly berated them for their shallow following of the law and for putting their oral traditions above the law teaching they were to be followed instead of the law. It was nothing but a huge power play on their part. Doesn't anyone else see this?

Jesus was a man, a perfect man....which gave him the right to become The Christ (the annointing of The Mesiah). God gave him that special annointing at his baptism because of his perfect faithfulness and obedience...something we can all achieve. So many try to take that away from him and call him God (they nullify his perfect life)...and then they proceed to say that we cannot become like Jesus, holy and perfect as the Father is perfect. Jesus expressly told us that this was our calling....to become ONE with the Father, the same way he did...he showed us The Way to do it by having the same faithfulness he did to God, we are all children of God, sons and daughters, we just have to live the same way Jesus did. This is what taking up your cross means. Why would Jesus tell us to be holy and perfect if we were not able to accomplish this? He wouldn't.
Agreed! Our lack of righteousness, because of our sinful nature, is to take His Righteousness as ours. He is our righteousness. But we must walk as He walked, forsaking the traditions and doctrines of man, and letting the Holy Spirit lead us into Truth.

This was something the Pharisees could not understand. And really, it was the relationship the Son had with the Father that they didn't understand. We could call it jealousy, if we were to give it a name. It stripped them of authority. No different than us stripping the authority of the man made churches today. Jesus Christ is our Authority. God our Father is the Supreme Authority, to which even Jesus Himself gives back to the Father when ALL things have been put under His Feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity