Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,389,648 times

Advertisements

Seeing that Jesus came "to save the world," did He return the Father void? Or will God's Word ACCOMPLISH what it was sent out to do?

Discuss..

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,475,968 times
oh oh, you are asking a deep question.
If Jesus does not save the world then he is a failure. He failed at his duty to save the world and abolish all enemies.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,226,731 times
"The LORD (Father) said unto my Lord (Jesus), sit at my right hand 'til I make your enemies your footstool." (Psa 110:1, Mat 22:44, Mark 12:36)

Let's ponder this scripture, since David prophesied and Jesus quoted it.

Christ has finished the work - it's done! Since His return to the Father, He is now seated at the right hand, reigning in power. The Father and He have an "agreement", for all flesh to be subject to the Son, and then the Son gives it all to the Father, that He can be all in all. (1 Cor 15:28)

But notice that Christ is seated, resting.

(It's imperative that we see the importance of resting, as it's the basis of our life in Him (Heb 4:1). As He is, so are we in the earth (1 John 4:17).)

While Christ is seated, the Father subdues everything opposed to His plan of salvation - that's where we are now.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,982,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
"The LORD (Father) said unto my Lord (Jesus), sit at my right hand 'til I make your enemies your footstool." (Psa 110:1, Mat 22:44, Mark 12:36)

Let's ponder this scripture, since David prophesied and Jesus quoted it.

Christ has finished the work - it's done! Since His return to the Father, He is now seated at the right hand, reigning in power. The Father and He have an "agreement", for all flesh to be subject to the Son, and then the Son gives it all to the Father, that He can be all in all. (1 Cor 15:28)

But notice that Christ is seated, resting.

(It's imperative that we see the importance of resting, as it's the basis of our life in Him (Heb 4:1). As He is, so are we in the earth (1 John 4:17).)

While Christ is seated, the Father subdues everything opposed to His plan of salvation - that's where we are now.
I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying that we should not be trying to change the world to bring it into line with the love of God? that we should not be "eager to do good works?" that Christ's church is established and the phrase "the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it" is a defensive strategy (note: very few governments bring their city gates to an attack on someone else)?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying that we should not be trying to change the world to bring it into line with the love of God? that we should not be "eager to do good works?" that Christ's church is established and the phrase "the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it" is a defensive strategy (note: very few governments bring their city gates to an attack on someone else)?
Scripture is clear - the battle belongs to the Lord.

The biggest obstacle between a dying world and its Savior is "christians" who display flesh - I think we can all agree it stinks. We first have to see Him as our Savior, our righteousness, and not our works. When God's people rest in Him, He does it; when we bear the burden ourselves, it gets burned up as wood, hay and stubble.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,389,648 times
We still don't see much righteousness in the world today. Even in Christian circles, there is still a lack of understanding about what righteousness is.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,982,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Scripture is clear - the battle belongs to the Lord.

The biggest obstacle between a dying world and its Savior is "christians" who display flesh - I think we can all agree it stinks. We first have to see Him as our Savior, our righteousness, and not our works. When God's people rest in Him, He does it; when we bear the burden ourselves, it gets burned up as wood, hay and stubble.
While it is true that we can do nothing without the Lord, I think the corrolary is that those who do nothing are without the Lord.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM

7,740 posts, read 12,676,482 times
Considering the fact that BILLIONS have been saved since the Lord died on the cross and rose from the dead and more are going to come to him in the coming years and decades, I doubt his word returned unto him void. There have been way more people saved than perished.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,480,178 times
Matthew 26:52
Jesus said to Peter, 'Put up again thy sword into its place: for ALL they that take up the sword shall perish with the sword!'

Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
While it is true that we can do nothing without the Lord, I think the corrolary is that those who do nothing are without the Lord.
True, faith without works is dead - but it's not us that produces the works. A favorite reminder of mine when tempted to unleash my frustration on an unsuspecting person who defiled my idea of right and wrong is that dead men can't do anything!

(We're crucified with Christ.)

It makes for a lovely lesson of how we should walk with Him, and what a stark contrast it is when compared with God's people seen demanding their "rights"...do we have any, or are we really looking to Him to turn the tide?

just thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity