Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,070 times

Advertisements

Strange thread, I know, but I would most certainly be appreciative of your sincere thoughts on this.

My parents are both fading at the same time. Mom from post-trauma and Dad from advanced-stage Alzheimer's. It is utterly horrible and heart-breaking, but I know that the Lord has "prepared a place" for my Mom (not quite certain of Dad unless the Lord wills to touch him through the hideous cloud in his brain).

Like many Baby Boomers, my brother and I are going to have a deluge of "stuff" to sort through when this is all over. NOT looking forward to that because of the emotional angle of it. While I really don't desire to inherit most of it, is it wrong to want to keep some for sentimental reasons? Is it horrible and cold to sell it all off in an auction or some such thing? There are many collectibles : a horde of gifts given over 63 years of marriage

What's the Christian perspective on this? Of course, I can certainly use the money since I quit my job to take my Mom in to live with me (with my health insurance costing $650.00 a month ), but my mom's things...

Has anyone here ever experienced this dilemma?

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,576,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Strange thread, I know, but I would most certainly be appreciative of your sincere thoughts on this.

My parents are both fading at the same time. Mom from post-trauma and Dad from advanced-stage Alzheimer's. It is utterly horrible and heart-breaking, but I know that the Lord has "prepared a place" for my Mom (not quite certain of Dad unless the Lord wills to touch him through the hideous cloud in his brain).

Like many Baby Boomers, my brother and I are going to have a deluge of "stuff" to sort through when this is all over. NOT looking forward to that because of the emotional angle of it. While I really don't desire to inherit most of it, is it wrong to want to keep some for sentimental reasons? Is it horrible and cold to sell it all off in an auction or some such thing? There are many collectibles : a horde of gifts given over 63 years of marriage

What's the Christian perspective on this? Of course, I can certainly use the money since I quit my job to take my Mom in to live with me (with my health insurance costing $650.00 a month ), but my mom's things...

I
Let the Holy Spirit be your guide. If you feel that the Holy Spirit is convicting of doing something, yes you are wrong. If you feel no conviction and the rest of your family is ok with it then be content in your decision.

On a personal when my father died it was tough to part with his things. I even resented my mother for giving away his stuff to just anybody, imo they had to be worthy but I was still hurt and the wound was still deep. I thought I would regret it a few years later that I didn't keep anything. Trust me when I say God and time heals wounds. Keep a few things if you want but photographs, vidoes and memories are the best.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-27-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,704,417 times
Quote:

I
I am sorry that this is happening in your life....grieving is a difficult process we face especially losing our parents. I lost my mother almost 5 years ago.... and so know !!
One is false guilt, wish I would of, wish I didn't.....imo, take your time!! Allow the grieving process.....to work through you both !!
The Lord I believe will lead you both one step at a time and give you both the assurance of peace and definitely an agreement between you and brother in what needs to be done!!

I don't think really there is any certain Christian perspective....other than to trust the Lord with all of it !!
Especially don't feel guilty because you rather sell those things. Keep...like it was mention the memories through photo's & etc.

Blessings... will be praying for you and brother, family !!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,336,631 times
I recently went through a similar situation to what the OP is describing. My mom, a born again Christian passed away less than 6 months ago. I was left to clean, sort and divide her belongings. It was very difficult because my mom was young, she had a lot of stuff and I didn't have a lot of time. I made everything available to family and I left it up to them to decide if they wanted to sell or keep it. I don't think it is wrong to sell your parents belongings especially if it will be a help to you. I think that is the point of leaving things for your children- you want them to benefit. I kept some of my mother's things for sentimental reasons and they are a great comfort me now. I didn't want to sell anything. I wanted to honor by giving what she had to her sisters and friends.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,191,495 times
I join with the rest of you, as I lost my mom a few years ago as well. Good advice given - as Fundy said, let the Holy Spirit guide you.

If I was to give my personal advice, it would be from someone who desires to be free to remember without being bound emotionally. My mom didn't like photographs, because she believed they're not life - and I understand what she meant. Photos can hold you prisoner emotionally. Understand that they are the Lord's, and that they are soon to be free...

...and we shouldn't be left imprisoned by memories.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,070 times
Thank you to my brothers and sisters for your kind thoughts and wise perspectives on this. I still have some time with them...it is my nature (in the flesh) to always want to jump ahead; to not have anything hanging over me; to try to avoid hurt if possible. But we all know that that's not real life here "under the sun."

again, my most sincere thanks to you all, and God bless

Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,091 times
Quote:

I
Yes, I experienced the lose of both parents within a 5-month period and my sister and I basically went through the items. It took about a week to go through it and pack it, sell it and all that.. I would recommend at least a week and make sure to rent a u-haul.. If they didn't write out a will or designate certain items to the kids you will have to agree on what you are going to take, give away to other family members etc. And if there is too much grief, you could always rent a storage space put everything in there and wait.. I have known people to do that. Fortunately my sister and I agreed with the entire process because we agreed that we were not going to fight about materialism.

I have to be honest... it is ovewhelming. It is overwhelming to see the accumulation of all those "things" for years and then you leave the earth with nothing. The items that you look at will cause grief and you have to be prepared for it.. It is a hard situation but you can do it with the Lord. If you have ever watched "Hope Floats" with the scene in the closet with Sandra Bullocks mother's clothes...that is what I went through... It is hard and hard to let those things go.... I am finally getting rid of things I really didn't want after six years of their passing...

Stay strong... pray for God's wisdom and peace and pray for your dad.. Tell him what you feel God wants you to tell him and pray for an opening, that he would be willing to let the Lord in.

I am now going through this same issue with my sister as she will be passing in a few weeks.. I won't be getting anything of hers because it will all go to her boyfriend.. It really doesn't matter to me because I realize now...it is just stuff... Don't take it too serious...

I am sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity