Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 AM

802 posts, read 454,093 times

Advertisements

The basis of today's Christian religion is the Resurrection of Jesus.

But what real evidence is there that this actuually happened and wasn't just a legend?

A religious leader named Jesus was executed by he Romans for insurrection about 30 A.D. Stories evidently developed among his followers that he, as a number of pagan gods and demigods, rose from the dead. In later versions of the story it was added that Jesus had "ascended" into heaven (which would explain why no remains could be found).

Stangely, for a "miraculous" occurrence, there are no written records. The first was developed by Paul, a non-witness to the Resurrection, who converted to Jesus' teaching. This writing (1 Corinthians 15) was created about 55 AD, or 25 years after the event it describes. In contained no "empty tomb" or Ascension claim.There are no other reports of any Resurrection from this period.

There are no subsequent reports until we come to the Gospel of Mark, written about 70 AD, by a Syrian
who was also a non-witness. In it's original form, it, too, had no Ascension story.That -"the Longer Verion of the Gospel of Matthew" was added in the second century.

In about 80 AD two other versions of the story appeared (Matthew's and Luke's based ln Mark's account) containing more but sometims conflicting details. These would have been about 50 years after the events described. Finally about 95 AD, of 65 years after the event, John's version of the story appeared, but this adds nothig really new and is more or less a theology of what are claimed to be Jesus' teachings.

From a historical perspective then, is there any reason to believe these are other than merely stories?

If so, what confirming evidence can be provided that the Resurrection was an actual event and not simply a legend based on wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 06:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Sorry I am just not in the mood for another resurrection debate. I will have to leave it to you others.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:49 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
As the resurrection is not a credible event I believe it to be a myth based on wishful thinking.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:03 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle's Child View Post
The basis of today's Christian religion is the Resurrection of Jesus.

But what real evidence is there that this actuually happened and wasn't just a legend?

A religious leader named Jesus was executed by he Romans for insurrection about 30 A.D. Stories evidently developed among his followers that he, as a number of pagan gods and demigods, rose from the dead. In later versions of the story it was added that Jesus had "ascended" into heaven (which would explain why no remains could be found).

Stangely, for a "miraculous" occurrence, there are no written records. The first was developed by Paul, a non-witness to the Resurrection, who converted to Jesus' teaching. This writing (1 Corinthians 15) was created about 55 AD, or 25 years after the event it describes. In contained no "empty tomb" or Ascension claim.There are no other reports of any Resurrection from this period.

There are no subsequent reports until we come to the Gospel of Mark, written about 70 AD, by a Syrian
who was also a non-witness. In it's original form, it, too, had no Ascension story.That -"the Longer Verion of the Gospel of Matthew" was added in the second century.

In about 80 AD two other versions of the story appeared (Matthew's and Luke's based ln Mark's account) containing more but sometims conflicting details. These would have been about 50 years after the events described. Finally about 95 AD, of 65 years after the event, John's version of the story appeared, but this adds nothig really new and is more or less a theology of what are claimed to be Jesus' teachings.

From a historical perspective then, is there any reason to believe these are other than merely stories?

If so, what confirming evidence can be provided that the Resurrection was an actual event and not simply a legend based on wishful thinking?
This is the third thread within the last 30 days that you've started on whether Jesus was resurrected. And you have been shown that Jesus' resurrection is historical.

11/3/2015 Are the Resurrection and atonement just a story?

11/17/2015 Did Paul start the story of the Resurrection?

In the first thread, people can simply refer to post #20 which is my post.

In the second thread, people can refer to post #4 which again is my post.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This is the third thread within the last 30 days that you've started on whether Jesus was resurrected. And you have been shown that Jesus' resurrection is historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Your frequent denials of the existence of God, and of the resurrection of Jesus are emotionally based as a result of the anger, bitterness, and hatred you carry with you as shown in your many posts. Your denials are not based on a lack of evidence.

Historians and scholars whether Christian or secular, (not all among the secular historians of course as there are few things on which there is 100 percent agreement), disagree with you. While secular scholars obviously don't believe that Jesus was actually resurrected, they recognize that the disciples believed that they saw the resurrected Jesus. However, the best explanation as to why the disciples believed that they saw the risen Jesus is because they really did.

But again, people can simply refer to my posts on the other two threads.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-09-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Your frequent denials of the existence of God, and of the resurrection of Jesus are emotionally based as a result of the anger, bitterness, and hatred you carry with you as shown in your many posts. Your denials are not based on a lack of evidence.

Historians and scholars whether Christian or secular, (not all among the secular historians of course as there are few things on which there is 100 percent agreement), disagree with you. While secular scholars obviously don't believe that Jesus was actually resurrected, they recognize that the disciples believed that they saw the resurrected Jesus. However, the best explanation as to why the disciples believed that they saw the risen Jesus is because they really did.

But again, people can simply refer to my posts on the other two threads.

It is impossible for a truly dead person to resurrect, therefore either Jesus wasn't dead, or the resurrection is a lie! The Bible is not a credible source of information!

Your posts appear to be based on wishful thinking, not evidence!

Old 12-05-2015, 07:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
People take if one of two ways:

1. I will live again physically because I am a child of the King.
(Christians)

2. People have something inside which needs to die, be reborn, and made new.
(Spiritual non-Christians)

Personally, I think that Christians believe the 1st because they are the only people who have not experienced the 2nd.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
It is impossible for a truly dead person to resurrect, therefore either Jesus wasn't dead, or the resurrection is a lie! The Bible is not a credible source of information!
It is impossible for a person to naturally resurrect. It is not impossible for a person to be supernaturally resurrected. This is why the resurrection of Jesus means that God, the God of whom the Bible speaks, exists.

And once again, historians and scholars disagree with you concerning the Bible as a credible source of information.

Go back and read my posts on the other two threads, listen to the scholars in the videos, or don't. It's your choice. I think we're done here.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It is impossible for a person to naturally resurrect. It is not impossible for a person to be supernaturally resurrected. This is why the resurrection of Jesus means that God, the God of whom the Bible speaks, exists.

And once again, historians and scholars disagree with you concerning the Bible as a credible source of information.

Go back and read my posts on the other two threads, listen to the scholars in the videos, or don't. It's your choice. I think we're done here.

There is NO evidence the 'supernatural' exists! I have probably had much more experience of what some would term the 'supernatural' than most people, throughout my life, and I still think there is a natural cause for everything, even if science hasn't yet caught up.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM

598 posts, read 358,214 times
Quote:

I think they are getting paid by the ADL to troll Christians...... if not them someone with similar goals and beliefs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity