Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times

Advertisements

Jesus asked Peter three times, do you love me. Each time He did He said feed my sheep or tend my lambs.

For me He was saying that to love Him is to do as He did and feed the people with the word of God as He did.

Do you agree. If not, what was He saying in your understanding?

Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs."
A second time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Tend my sheep."
He said to him the third time, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 AM

1,486 posts, read 292,620 times
I agree. Peter loved Jesus and took care of the sheep.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollsack View Post
I agree. Peter loved Jesus and took care of the sheep.
I was asking if you agree that to love God and Jesus is to feed the people the word of God.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
I was asking if you agree that to love God and Jesus is to feed the people the word of God.
I think it means give food when people are hungry, give a hand when people stumble, give an ear when people need to talk, give hope when there is despair, give what you can of yourself to those who need help.

I'm pretty darn sure it does NOT mean spouting scripture to strangers.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
The church was being established. Jesus was making them overseers of the church and wanted them to feed believers in Christ (His sheep) the pure Word of God.

He focused on Peter by asking him three times, because Peter denied him three times. He was restoring Peter.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think it means give food when people are hungry, give a hand when people stumble, give an ear when people need to talk, give hope when there is despair, give what you can of yourself to those who need help.

Yes, I agree that is what is sounds like it means. Jesus wants people to love and take care of each other.
I am not sure why people would assume it means to feed people the word of God, why can't it mean feed people food?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Did Jesus teach to people he did not know? Sure He did but He did not force it. Everyone had a choice to listen or walk away.

Jesus was sent to give life to the sheep and he described life as the word of God. His followers are to mimic Him by continuing in His word and teaching.

again Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.
All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them.
I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep"

"It is the spirit that gives life the flesh is useless, the words I spoke to you are spirit and life."

Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
The church was being established. Jesus was making them overseers of the church and wanted them to feed believers in Christ (His sheep) the pure Word of God.

He focused on Peter by asking him three times, because Peter denied him three times. He was restoring Peter.
What was the word of God that he was to feed? They only had the OT. IS only the OT the word of God? Peter was not teaching what Paul wrote about. He did not even fully understand what Paul preached?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
What was the word of God that he was to feed? They only had the OT. IS only the OT the word of God? Peter was not teaching what Paul wrote about. He did not even fully understand what Paul preached?
He was talking about the law. Everything in the NT is in the OT, it's all the Word of God. Paul wasn't even a Christian at this time. The church was officially established the day of Pentecost when they were given the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Jesus may have been subtly reminding Peter of his three denials and giving Peter three opportunities to realize that He had truly been forgiven and that the Lord truly loved him, ... and to forgive himself as he professed his love for the Lord.

But, there was something else in the words used for "love." When Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me?” in John 21:15–16, He used the Greek word agape (unconditional love), yet Peter responded with the Greek word phileo (brotherly love). The third time in John 21:17, Jesus uses the word phileo; and Peter again responds using phileo.

In this exchange, Jesus was prompting Peter move beyond phileo love to unconditional agape love ... and to demonstrate that love toward others whom Jesus loves ('my sheep'). In His threefold request, the Lord was re-emphasizing the essential importance to Peter (and US) of Loving the Lord our God with our heart, mind, sould and strength ... and Loving our neighbor as ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity