Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:48 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,008 times

Advertisements

Antinomianism is the opposite of Legalism and remember, they are just labels, which makes them, at best, generalizations. One says, redemption is through Christ alone; the other says, redemption is through The Law alone. The erroneous assumption is then often made by Antinomians, that they are under no obligation to obey The Law. The Legalists often erroneously conclude, that they are under no obligation to accept Christ's Sacrifice on The Cross. So, they don't. Of course, Christ says, if you love Him you will keep his commands and that, He and The Father are one. So, it would appear that Christians must believe in Christ and obey The Law. Otherwise, they don't appear to actually be Christians (you will know them by their fruit...)

Of course, this debate seems contrived (most people don't/didn't seem this stupid). It reminds me of the nature versus nurture debate. Human nature is wicked (hence, our need for a savior), but a nice environment does seem to moderate it. Duh. Do people really need P.H.D.s to figure that out. Oh sorry, my mistake, once you get a PHD you can't understand that!

In any case, this contrived debate seems useful to people who were part of churches, but wanted to also be part of what is called, "progressivism." Remember, if something is going backwards (declining), it isn't progressing; it is regressing. Modern day "Progressivism" seems to be heading back to pre-Christian Europe. That ain't progress! And it certainly isn't Christian. So, if you are a Christian and you want to embrace this "progressivism," you feel guilty for it, but you don't want to repent. So, you need a scapegoat. Christians who challenge you on your willful deviance from The Law, make you feel guilty. So, you project your guilt onto them. Of course, that is a dead-end. So, ultimately, it isn't satisfying. Of course, that may be of little consolation to your victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
The problem with the Galatians was that they were mixing law with grace. That is a big no no and the Apostle Paul told them why in his epistle to them.

We are not under law but under grace. But this does not give us license to sin. But rather than be good under threat of curses of the law, we now have the freedom to be good by grace just because we love a loving God.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 13,649 times
Everyone has a view on the subject. There are so many answers that people give.

Mine is that, yes you are saved through Christ - but by accepting Christ you accept you should live like he did. Living like he did means living by the rules he lived by while he was here on earth. Therefore the natural consequence of accepting Christ is following the law.

It's not like picking sweets fom a jar, you can't just take the bits you like - by accepting Christ you accept His law. You are saved through Christ, but in truely accepting him you follow the laws he gave us. After all Christ is God.

Having said all that it does not work the other way around. You cannot accept Christ just by following the law. You must accept Christ to be saved.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The annoiting of Christ to be born in the Spirit gives all the law inbread in the annointing of Christ.... The law in the Word of God is an outline of truth that the spirit bring to a believer when they get baptized in the Holy Spirit.,,, But we must hear the Word of God so the annointing of Christ can be energized ,,,,,,,Jesus said `` this is not to abandon the Law but to bring it life to the law``People confess that they are not under the law for their salvation, ,, but in the temporal life here in the earth, if believers sin against the law and do not take up the authority of Jesus Blood then the devil can get authority to bother them,,,, Jesus said that the commandment of the Sabbath was made for man and this is not a law for him, for he has the Holy Spirit and he is not condemning him,,,, The devil could not get to Jesus because he used the annoiting of Christ to kick the devil out.....Antinomianism and legalism are error with the Spirit, because they both are weak in the Spirit and the promise that Jesus brought us.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy170 View Post
Everyone has a view on the subject. There are so many answers that people give.

Mine is that, yes you are saved through Christ - but by accepting Christ you accept you should live like he did. Living like he did means living by the rules he lived by while he was here on earth. Therefore the natural consequence of accepting Christ is following the law.

It's not like picking sweets fom a jar, you can't just take the bits you like - by accepting Christ you accept His law. You are saved through Christ, but in truely accepting him you follow the laws he gave us. After all Christ is God.

Having said all that it does not work the other way around. You cannot accept Christ just by following the law. You must accept Christ to be saved.
Swampy, read Galatians over and over till you get it.

Last edited by Eusebius; 02-06-2010 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: mizzpelled wurd

Old 02-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The problem with the Galatians was that they were mixing law with grace. That is a big no no and the Apostle Paul told them why in his epistle to them.

We are not under law but under grace. But this does not give us license to sin. But rather than be good under threat of curses of the law, we now have the freedom to be good by grace just because we love a loving God.
Do you agree: Leviticus says, if you obey God's Law, then He will bless you, but if you disobey it, He will curse you and this appears to be in full force today? (never minding the exceptions, like the debate in Job is about) Being blessed seems like a positive motivation and it appears to be an ancient one.

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 02-07-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Do you agree: Leviticus says, if you obey God's Law, then He will bless you, but if you disobey it, He will curse you and this appears to be in full force today? (never minding the exceptions, like the debate in Job is about)
Our command to submit to Christ's sacrifice on The Cross, seems to be an extension of The Law. Like Judgement Day, even though we know it is coming, because it has been prophesied, it will still seem like a big change to us And, Judgment Day, I should add, is terrifying, which seems like a very negative motivation.

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 02-07-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM

696 posts, read 915,380 times
Quote:
Antinomianism is the opposite of Legalism and remember, they are just labels, which makes them, at best, generalizations. One says, redemption is through Christ alone; the other says, redemption is through The Law alone. The erroneous assumption is then often made by Antinomians, that they are under no obligation to obey The Law. The Legalists often erroneously conclude, that they are under no obligation to accept Christ's Sacrifice on The Cross. So, they don't. Of course, Christ says, if you love Him you will keep his commands and that, He and The Father are one. So, it would appear that Christians must believe in Christ and obey The Law. Otherwise, they don't appear to actually be Christians (you will know them by their fruit...)

Of course, this debate seems contrived (most people don't/didn't seem this stupid). It reminds me of the nature versus nurture debate. Human nature is wicked (hence, our need for a savior), but a nice environment does seem to moderate it. Duh. Do people really need P.H.D.s to figure that out. Oh sorry, my mistake, once you get a PHD you can't understand that!

In any case, this contrived debate seems useful to people who were part of churches, but wanted to also be part of what is called, "progressivism." Remember, if something is going backwards (declining), it isn't progressing; it is regressing. Modern day "Progressivism" seems to be heading back to pre-Christian Europe. That ain't progress! And it certainly isn't Christian. So, if you are a Christian and you want to embrace this "progressivism," you feel guilty for it, but you don't want to repent. So, you need a scapegoat. Christians who challenge you on your willful deviance from The Law, make you feel guilty. So, you project your guilt onto them. Of course, that is a dead-end. So, ultimately, it isn't satisfying. Of course, that may be of little consolation to your victims.
This is an excellent post. My compliments to the Chef.

Adam was created by the hand of God. Even he fell into sin. It is quite clear that God created the world in perfection and that there is no progression in the history of man. Everything is in regression from what he created in perfection. This is the difference between the enlightened and the Christian. It is why on this forum both speak English, but clearly speak different languages.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Quote:
Our command to submit to Christ's sacrifice on The Cross, seems to be an extension of The Law. Like Judgement Day, even though we know it is coming, because it has been prophesied, it will still seem like a big change to us And, Judgment Day, I should add, is terrifying, which seems like a very negative motivation.
Thank God HIS grace is sufficient in the short places... I know I cannot measure up... I totally need that "new mercy every morning."

Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM

303 posts, read 569,707 times
" for the law made nothing perfect"

Jesus gave a new commandment which supercedes the old ones " love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself " and that would fulfill the law and the prophets

See its quite simple the Jews obeyed the law but most of them did it without love for anyone

The truth is when your walkiing in love your not thinking about laws

EXAMPLE: if the reason I obey the speed limit is because I dont want to get a ticket Im actually quite selfish. I should obey it because I dont want to endanger other people or myself

The Jews where like people who go around boasting about how they always drive the speed limit

Thats what Paul is pointing out that the law couldnt change anyones heart

Was man made for the sabbath ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity