Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'll consider it, but let me step aside so others can comment on the topic here.
What were we talking about again?

Oh yea. Insane, do you "hate" me?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
I'll consider it, but let me step aside so others can comment on the topic here.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
What were we talking about again?

Oh yea. Insane, do you "hate" me?
Like I hate a winning lottery ticket right now.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

Look at it read every word and relate it to this forum. If you cannot, we understand, it is not your fault you do not understand...

Robin:

Re-read your own words, above.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:

If you cannot, we understand, it is not your fault you do not understand because you are a nonbeliever and in order to understand you have to believer.

Please do not discredit me due to your own self compensatory need to do so.

A nonbeliever posted 1 Corinthians 13: 1-13.

...And you are questioning that...

Perhaps what truly needs to be understood here is your perception and preconceived notion of others, along with what the true message of the gospel says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69

I know there are alot of brilliant people in this forum yet they are ill prepared by unbelief. Not judging or hating but how can they hope to understand without the guidance of the Holy Spirit? Please seriously look and you might see what I am saying.
1- Trust me: I am far from "brilliant." (That's the whole point behind my post, Robin...)

2- I am hardly "ill prepared" to either understand or know the true gospel when I either see it, read it, and/or otherwise hear it expressed on this very forum. That is fact, my friend.

3- "Please seriously look and you might see what I am saying."

Take gentle care, dear Robin.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Like I hate a winning lottery ticket right now.
You have a winning lottery ticket? You single?

Just kidding.. I hate HotinAZ as much as a winning lottery ticket too.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Please do not discredit me due to your own self compensatory need to do so.

A nonbeliever posted 1 Corinthians 13: 1-13.

...And you are questioning that...

Perhaps what truly needs to be understood here is your perception and preconceived notion of others, along with what the true message of the gospel says...

1- Trust me: I am far from "brilliant." (That's the whole point behind my post, Robin...)

2- I am hardly "ill prepared" to either understand or know the true gospel when I either see it, read it, and/or otherwise hear it expressed on this very forum. That is fact, my friend.

3- "Please seriously look and you might see what I am saying."

Take gentle care, dear Robin.
I wasn't attacking I was asking a question. I am sorry if you took it that way.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I wasn't attacking I was asking a question. I am sorry if you took it that way.
I wasn't accusing you of attacking, Robin. I didn't feel attacked.

I was the one who was asking a question and trying to make a point in regards to your response to my post.

Which you seemingly wished to evade....

Old 02-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I wasn't accusing you of attacking, Robin. I didn't feel attacked.

I was the one who was asking a question and trying to make a point in regards to your response to my post.

Which you seemingly wished to evade....
Apparently I missed something.

Sorry I did not pay attention to the question, I am so sorry.

Presenting 1 Corinthians 13 is a good start but you would need to explain it to them or at least be ready to answer question, which I completely disregaurded.

Again, I apologize.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ
Actually, this verse was thrown out here, and I wanted to address it.

Matt. 10:32-33
32. "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
33. "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

Take a hard look at it. From the literal standpoint, which is how fundies would read it, it is plain and simple. Right?

Wrong!!

Because if we are to take this literally, then Peter, who denied Jesus not once, but 3 times, would be eternally seperated from the Father, having been denied by Jesus in front of ALL of heaven.

But see, we know this is not the case. and before those of the biblical Berean start breaking this word apart in the Greek, I can assure you it is the same word.

But what did Jesus mean by this denying Him?

The answer is given to us, here:

Tts 1:16
They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.

If this perhaps what Jesus was referring to?

The Spirit leads me to believe it is, for I can be assured that Peter is with our Lord and Savior, and was welcomed, and not denied.
Matt.10:32-33 Is a conclusion to vv. 26-33 showing why disciples should boldly witness for Jesus....
Jesus called His disciples to bold public preaching and confessing Him as Messiah, regardless of the consequences.

Now let us back up and read vv. 26-33

v. 26 "Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
v. 27 "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops.

Do not fear, Jesus here was saying not to be intimidated by opposition.
Nothing covered, however they may slander you now, your innocence will at length appear.
During Jesus' lifetime the gospel was misunderstood by many.... But after His resurrection its meaning would be revealed , and the disciples were to make it known to all.
The flat Palestinian housetops were used to make public announcements. They disciples were to proclaim publicly the gospel that Jesus had taught them privately.
Ref. Acts 5:20
20. "Go, stand and speak to the people in the temple the whole message of this Life."

v. 28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Who kills the body: Human persecutors,
vv. 17-18
17. "But beware of men, for they will hand you over to the courts and scourge you in their synagogues;
18. and you will even be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.

Persecution could come from any direction- political rulers or even unbelieving family members.
Our persecution is an opportunity for effective testimony for Christ.
Although the disciples were sent as witnesses to Israel during Jesus' lifetime....
as we see in vv. 5-6;
5. These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans;
6. but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

During His earthly ministry Jesus sent His apostles only to the house of Israel. But after His resurrection He would commission them to go to all the world, Gentiles.

But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
~ Fear Him, To have reverence for God who determines our human destinies based on our response to Christ vv. 32-33

1 Peter 3:14
14. But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED,

29. "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.
30. "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31"So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

God knows and cares for His people who suffer. Nothing that is of interest to us is too small to interest Him.
Accepting Christ is our key to security. God knows and cares for His own, but those who deny Him will not have that security of His love and protection.

32. "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
33. "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

Psalm 119:46
46. I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings and shall not be ashamed.

Luke 12:8
8. "And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God;

Rom. 10:9
9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rev. 3:5
5. 'He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Mark 8:38
38"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

Luke 9:26
26". For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory, and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

2 Tim. 2:12
12. If we endure, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.