Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 PM

31 posts, read 56,681 times

Advertisements

I am making good progression in my quest to understand my relationship with God. I thought it a good idea to start right at the beginning so in addition to internet research I began reading the Old Testament. As I have progressed I am feeling that it is more important to understand Jesus through the New Testament and come back to the OT. With hindsight what would you recommend I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham222 View Post
I am making good progression in my quest to understand my relationship with God. I thought it a good idea to start right at the beginning so in addition to internet research I began reading the Old Testament. As I have progressed I am feeling that it is more important to understand Jesus through the New Testament and come back to the OT. With hindsight what would you recommend I do?
The New. The OT is only useful for validating Jesus as from God and as presenting the TRUE NATURE of God . . to remove the veil of ignorance from reading the OT. Once you have the clear and unambiguous idea of the "mind of Christ" and His love for us ALL . . then you can use that as the "filter" to test the misunderstandings about God's nature presented in the even more primitive OT. If it is NOT compatible with the Jesus we know from the NT . . . it is NOT of God.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Just what I suspected, thanks.
Graham

Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
What I usually recommend is to start with the book of John, then Acts, and pretty much take your pick from there. If you have a referance Bible read the references they offer as you read the books.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
New Testament first, Gospel of John is the best one to start which will give a Kingdom of Heaven vision you will need in understanding for the purpose Jesus will give you in your walk with him...... Read all the parables and pray for understanding into all these..... and Jesus Spirit will give insight into the heart of the Lord God.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Thank you all

Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
I agree - NT

Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times
I would recommend reading anything BUT John, 1st John, 2nd John, and 3rd John and Revelations.

In fact, I would start with Luke, then Acts, then Romans to get a basic understanding of who God is, who His Son is, and the purpose for which His Son was revealed to the world(Israel).

I would reserve John until God is revealing the Spiritual insights to His Word, because John talks way over the carnal man, and straight into the spiritual man.

But hey, that is just me.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The New. The OT is only useful for validating Jesus as from God and as presenting the TRUE NATURE of God . . to remove the veil of ignorance from reading the OT. Once you have the clear and unambiguous idea of the "mind of Christ" and His love for us ALL . . then you can use that as the "filter" to test the misunderstandings about God's nature presented in the even more primitive OT. If it is NOT compatible with the Jesus we know from the NT . . . it is NOT of God.
The OT books of history and prophecy can be daunting and tedious as well.. BUT I would definitely read through Job to understand the relationship between God and man (Of course a little background on the book is helpful since most think it literally happened). Also psalms and proverbs are good reads if you are in between NT reading.

Before you start the NT, I would do a little search on the times then. That way you can relate what is said to the history behind it. The first century was a time of turmoil and change and of course the terminology is different than ours.

Anyway, I hope you continue to seek and you will continue to find.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Definitely start with John. It was written to new Christians and non Christians to prove that Jesus is the Son of God and that all who believe in Him will have eternal life. John makes it very clear that Jesus offers the gift of eternal life to all people. And remember ALL of the Bible is the inspired Word of God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity