Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
MysticYou really careThank you
You have no idea how much, my brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,845,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have no idea how much, my brother!
I know we do not always agree but I see heart in that

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM

823 posts, read 1,407,352 times
Quote:
I wasnt going to point this out but you try recovering from a stroke and be a great grammer pro. So dont judge me by my lack of grammer eticut.
Not to go off topic. Bless you on your road to recovery from your stroke.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,778,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Not to go off topic. Bless you on your road to recovery from your stroke.
Amen

Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 PM

378 posts, read 1,290,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
This looks like a thread that has started in attempt to persecute Christians with words. But as believers, we should be willing to be persecuted for Christ's sake. Praise Him!

I am saved. I have always known there was a God, the world around me is far to beautiful to just "happen". When I saw a friend have multipe miracles happen in his life, I was intrigued and begin to read the Bible. I put my faith in Christ last April. Christ gives me a joy and peace that cannot be understood without experiencing Him personally.

If you feel the need, you may critique my grammer, spelling, and sentence structure. I have no problem admitting that you are probably a much better educated than me. I think you may have the wrong impression of Christians. They are no better than anyone else, the only difference is that they believe and know the Lord, and therefore are saved. May God reveal himself to you so you can know the true Joy he brings!
A respectable reply, however your grammAr and whatnot is not bad enough to critique. I am only educated at a high school level, by the way.

I completely disagree with the argument that the world around us is far too beautiful to just happen. Go to many, many places, and it is quite the opposite of beautiful. Unless you consider extreme poverty, rape, and murder beautiful.

Also, considering that we KNOW next to nothing about the universe, how can a statement like "the world around us is far too beautiful to just happen" have any significance. What is the world beautiful relative to? What if there are other planets out there that far surpass ours in beauty and the beings there believe in another god or none at all? The world I live in is beautiful, I suppose, but I do believe that it can and indeed did, just happen.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I wasnt going to point this out but you try recovering from a stroke and be a great grammer pro. So dont judge me by my lack of grammer eticut.
All differences aside, I am truly sorry to hear about your stroke.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
Are you aware that you're committing a fallacy known as "hasty generalization"? Do you know what that is? If not, click on this link: Fallacy: Hasty Generalization
OK, maybe I am. I guess that is why I want to find out about people being saved; because everyone else who I've debated with that has been saved or was born into a catholic or christian can never really explain themselves in a manner consistent with logic. Faith, you say? You just know? The human brain, the subconscious, is VERY able to lead people to be extremely disillusioned. In my work, I see this on a daily basis, more like a minute by minute basis. As a matter of fact, my job is quite literally to exploit peoples' inability to cope with reality or to exploit peoples' errors in judgment. And I don't even talk about my business with my imaginary friends (joke) so please don't ask what it is (it's nothing even bordering illegal). But like life, it involves a TREMENDOUS amount of uncertainty.

Anyway, I guess I'm interested in hearing what events led people to be saved. The people that I mentioned that claim they have been saved have something in common, which is they had an extreme desperation for meaning in life.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM

97 posts, read 120,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
A respectable reply, however your grammAr and whatnot is not bad enough to critique. I am only educated at a high school level, by the way.

I completely disagree with the argument that the world around us is far too beautiful to just happen. Go to many, many places, and it is quite the opposite of beautiful. Unless you consider extreme poverty, rape, and murder beautiful.

Also, considering that we KNOW next to nothing about the universe, how can a statement like "the world around us is far too beautiful to just happen" have any significance. What is the world beautiful relative to? What if there are other planets out there that far surpass ours in beauty and the beings there believe in another god or none at all? The world I live in is beautiful, I suppose, but I do believe that it can and indeed did, just happen.

Sorry, OK, my spelling needed to be corrected...

I am afraid you can't explain the creation in all it's mystery. It seems to me by reading your posts, that you are searching for something more, a meaning to life, a reason you are here. Why else would you be wanting to hear these stories?

If you don't mind me asking, you just claimed that the earth is quite opposite of beautiful, and you don't seem to overjoyed with life. What reason do you have to live for? Why do you believe you are here on Earth as a person, and what is your hope? Do you feel when your life ends that your soul dies with your body? Or do you not even recognize (or believe) that you have a soul?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
Sorry, OK, my spelling needed to be corrected...

I am afraid you can't explain the creation in all it's mystery. It seems to me by reading your posts, that you are searching for something more, a meaning to life, a reason you are here. Why else would you be wanting to hear these stories?

If you don't mind me asking, you just claimed that the earth is quite opposite of beautiful, and you don't seem to overjoyed with life. What reason do you have to live for? Why do you believe you are here on Earth as a person, and what is your hope? Do you feel when your life ends that your soul dies with your body? Or do you not even recognize (or believe) that you have a soul?
I am always searching for something more, and generally that is knowledge. And I am especially interested in knowledge about people as I find it both interesting as well as beneficial to myself. All due respect, don't jump to the conclusion that I am searching for meaning in life. The best way to find something is to stop looking for it, and if you want true meaning I suggest you do the same. A deep meaning of life, to me, is very abstract, and I don't care to talk much more about that.

I claimed parts of the earth were the opposite of beautiful. Where I live, it is beautiful and I appreciate it everyday. I don't have to deal with poverty or gangs like so many people in my city do.

As for your questions:

What reason do I have to live for? I live for myself and my personal happiness, which I believe can be infinite if recognized correctly. I live for my family, friends, and simple pleasures in life.

Why do I believe I am on earth as a person? I don't believe there to be any reason why I am here. I was born onto a tiny planet in a huge universe and that's all I really know. The rest is a mystery and as Einstein (or someone smarter than myself said), the mystery is the most beautiful part of life.

What hopes do I have? I guess I hope everything goes well for myself and everyone, but hoping is a worthless exercise, and in my business it's detrimental.

Do you feel when your life ends that your soul dies with your body? Or do you not even recognize (or believe) that you have a soul? I have no opinion on this matter.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,982 times
Well Mr. Duck, I am certainly not one of those Christians that closes up when my views are questioned. Let me just inform you from the start though, I will not argue with you about my beliefs. I will try to explain my view, and I will respect your view in that it is how you feel. If you get ugly or argumentative, as I have had others do in the past, I will end this as lovingly as I can. In fact Christianity is the source for the worthless. It is the place for the hopeless. And no, I do not think I have been saved, I know I have. I could not explain that to you anymore than a blind man could explain to you how he knows the sun exists. It is based on faith, trust, and events happening in your life that take place after the faith and trust occur. These events are so personal in nature, and so inexplicable to the person they happen to; but without faith someone else would explain them away as coincidence, or say that a person caused the experience through the mind altering power of positive thinking. So you are right, Christianity is for those who know they have fallen short of the glory. If my faith in a loving God is wrong I have lost nothing by trying to live the best life I could here on earth. If your views are right I will just die and cease to exist; but if I am right, and you are not, my faith will get me a place in the Kingdom of Heaven. If I am right and you are wrong what will you receive if on the day of redemption when Christ looks at you and says, "I never knew you, depart from me", the difference for you could be an eternity in hell. If I am right and God gave his only son to die on the cross at Calvary for any that seek Him to get to heaven, what good dead's would someone have to do to get you to sacrifice your only son? There are no dead's that one could do to repay a dept such as that, so it is a gift, accepted purely of faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity