Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM

574 posts, read 2,046,063 times

Advertisements

As a Christian, which do you think is the right decision?

A. Staying in a church where there is currently a great deal of conflict, disagreement and emotionally charged members because you would feel guilty for not staying to help them build that particular body of Christ back up?

Or

B. Transferring your membership to another church which has effective leadership and seems to be more secure in their mission, so that you can be fed and serve?

Our current church is struggling spiritually right now and another one which we visit frequently doesn't seem to have those issues (has a lot of outreach and just seems secure in the mission of Christ). I am ready to leave, DH is getting there and 10 y/o DD is ready as well. However I am struggling with guilt over "abandoning a sinking ship" for lack of a better term.

What are your thoughts?

TIA!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Hi Nancy.
Wow...tough call. Can you go do what you can to help the ailing church on Sundays, and then go to the healthy church on Wednesday eves to "get your batteries charged"? If the ailing church starts to tear your family apart, for whatever reason, then I'd get out of there. Your family health comes first, then the other church members second. I'd pray...eventually God will show you what to do. Just IMO...

Bud

Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times
Pray and ask God to show you what He wants you to do. You can never go wrong that way God bless!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 AM

23 posts, read 41,891 times
Or maybe a third choice would be establishing a home fellowship. Just thinkin.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
I would pray over it,definitely.And don't feel guilty if you are so led to leave...sometimes a church being forced to rethink what they are doing may force everyone to a better change,one that serves others well and doesn't run them off.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Would depend on what the struggles are about....doctrinal issues or social issues. No church will have perfect harmony with social issues, but a doctrinally issues, a church will likely not. It is a pleasing when participants (pastors, teachers, professers, sunday school teachers, members) are trained, believe, confess, taught the same theoligical message. That is probably the biggest faults of non-denominational churches, no unity.

And Paul was a big advocate of unity.

Please .... more info (here or a pm)

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Maybe don't transfer your membership just yet and go to the stable church for more "visits"? Your absence from the unstable church, as well as some other members, may give the arguing members pause to think about what they are doing. If not, you will be making a "slow" transition to the new church while really getting a good feel for it without completely commiting yet.

This really is a tough call but you want to make sure you're not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I wish you Godspeed with your dilemma.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
As a Christian, which do you think is the right decision?

A. Staying in a church where there is currently a great deal of conflict, disagreement and emotionally charged members because you would feel guilty for not staying to help them build that particular body of Christ back up?

Or

B. Transferring your membership to another church which has effective leadership and seems to be more secure in their mission, so that you can be fed and serve?

Our current church is struggling spiritually right now and another one which we visit frequently doesn't seem to have those issues (has a lot of outreach and just seems secure in the mission of Christ). I am ready to leave, DH is getting there and 10 y/o DD is ready as well. However I am struggling with guilt over "abandoning a sinking ship" for lack of a better term.

What are your thoughts?

TIA!

Nancy
I would stay in the church. Because my mom used to deal with these kinds of things in Church and as a result, we've changed Churches alot and I don't think that is the solution. I would stay in the church and help build it back up with faith and hope that the Lord would help. But then again, some people don't have the patience or emotional struggle to deal with things like that.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,213 times
Galatians 5: 9A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. 10I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be. 11And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased. 12I would they were even cut off which trouble you. 13For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Seems to me that we are to follow Jesus' example and seek to serve rather than be served.

Time to seek to be a peacemaker in one aspect by getting together and state everything that they all agree on.

Then whatever they do not agree on: discern as to whethor or not it just opposed what everyone has agreed on for if it does, then the extra needs to be reproved or dropped. Those that do not drop it nor be reproved, needs to be excommunicated.

1 Corinthians 5: 4In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

I had to leave all the churches in the area where I am living now because no one was hearing the reproof in regards to the Promise Keepers' program: a movement of men: nor how we are not to seek to be filled by the Holy Spirit again when we are filled when we were saved so we can be witnesses of the Son and not the Day of Pentecost as if it is a repeatable event in the life of a believer, thus ceasing to be witnesses of the Son by serving something else in His name and glorifying not the Lord Jesus Christ but the name of whatever the latest "movement of the spirit" is.

Keeping the faith is the good fight: but as much as everyone says "keep your eyes on Jesus", they are not doing that by resorting to their own power in living the christian life by keeping their promises or even by their religious commitment to follow Him NOR are they keeping their eyes on Jesus by chasing after other "gods" when the faith declares in the self-examination that He is in us.

As it is, many have fallen away from the faith and are serving something else in His name and thereby NOT the Lord Jesus Christ.

So lean on Jesus Christ to be Your Good Shepherd as well as Your Saviour to lead you in the way you ought to go: serving Him by correcting others: and withdraw if no one listens as a witness of you keeping the faith in Jesus Christ.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 PM

574 posts, read 2,046,063 times
Wow, thanks for your thoughts, encouragement and wise advice! We have been praying about it and I think it makes total sense to continue to visit the other church at least somewhat regularly without making a commitment just yet. I am sure that sooner or later God will speak to us in a way that we will not doubt what He is encouraging us to do. I really do appreciate all of your advice and encouragement! You guys are wonderful!

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity