Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
The Book of Enoch is falsely ascribed to Enoch.

It is a collection of extravagant, unhistorical, Jewish myths.

This uninspired, apocryphal book was penned many centuries after Enoch's death,
probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C.E.

So, Enoch could not possibly be the writer of the “Book of Enoch.”

It appears to be the product of 'critical interpretation elaborations' on the very brief Genesis reference to Enoch.

Both Jude and the writer of the Book of Enoch apparently had access to the same source of information about Enoch, because Jude would never have quoted from an unreliable source.

Jude wrote under divine inspiration. (2 Timothy 3:16)
God’s holy spirit guarded him from stating anything that was not true.

That is obviously not the case with the person who wrote the Book of Enoch.

"Does the Bible Quote From the Book of Enoch?"
So, why did Jude quote from it then?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishlyn View Post
I am listening to the book series in its entirety as I am reading this forum, and yes it has similarities to the book Revelation, but I also think of Nostradamus, the one who also had "prophecies" of the times to come. I don't know if "Enoch" the one we know who didn't die but walked with God, is the same author but all I can say is there are indeed similarities. Giants to my knowledge in Genesis, are those "fallen angels i.e. demons" that were involved physically (sexually) with humans.
My understanding is that there was a genre of biblical literature known as "apocalyptic", in which the authors preached end times if the Hebrews did not mend their ways. You can see this in the recordings of the OT prophets, and culminated in the Babylonian Captivity. See what happens when you shun the way of the Lord, so the Biblical record seems to state?

Jesus Himself was something of an apocalyptic, as others in this thread have implied from things they quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity