Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
NOW.....
One who is struggling in a area of their life with something God has pointed out, I don't believe they are what some say, not saved. For the very reason if they're not saved their hearts would not even be concerned about it, especially being able to hear the conviction of God's Holy Spirit !!
God does hear the prayers and struggles of His child' battle with sin and never gives up on that child! He will lead them until they become overcomer's and that sin no longer has dominion over them !!! Yes, I do believe we can overcome an area in our lives that is in bondage to a certain thing, some it may take longer then other's. And yes, we can fall.....
Thank you. That is what I have been trying to say too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Exactly Ilene. And this is something that believers need to understand if they are to be oriented to the grace of God. One need only look at King Solomon as an example of someone who was saved and yet ended up turning his back on God. In Solomon's case, it was his love for his many wives; foreign women who turned his heart away from God and toward their gods. 1 Kings chapter 11.

Solomon lived in a time of peace (some 40 years of peace) as a result of his father David's military victories. And he had inherited a vast amount of wealth in addition to the wealth he himself achieved. Solomon had asked God for wisdom to lead his people and God gave him that wisdom. But that wisdom did not include spiritual wisdom. Solomon needed to learn that like everyone does. Though positive volition toward doctrine. At one point, Solomon was a mature believer. But he gradually began turning away from God even though he had been warned by God what would happen if he dd. 2 Chronicles 7:19 ''But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you and shall go and serve other gods and worship them, 20) then I will uproot you from My land which I have given you, and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight, and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples. 21) ''As for this house, which was exalted, everyone who passes by it will be astonished and say, 'Why has the Lord done thus to this land and to this house?' 22) ''And they will say, 'Because they forsook the Lord, the God of their fathers, who brought them from the land of Egypt, and they adopted other gods and worshiped them and served them, therefore He has brought all this adversity on them.' ''

Well, Solomon became involved in the ways of the world. Cosmic involvement. He embarked on a frantic search for happiness as described in Ecclesiastes. He was living his life 'under the sun' as if he were an unbeliever. He came under divine discipline but he never lost his salvation.

Nehemiah 13:26 ''Did not Solomon king of Israel sin regarding these things? Yet among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel; nevertheless the foreign women caused even him to sin.''

Samson is another example of a believer who lived in sin and here is a link with regard to that.

God's Pure Grace: Samson (http://godspuregrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/samson.html - broken link)

Believers are absolutely capable of choosing to live a lifestyle of sin. What they are not capable of doing is losing their salvation.

Many passages are used by those who think that you can lose your salvation in an effort to prove that you can, but these are passages which are misunderstood. The Bible does not contradict itself and the eternal security of the believer is a fact made clear in the scriptures. And to the end here is another link for whoever may be interested...

Eternal Security (http://jrcyouth.com/love24.htm - broken link)

Now, a person cannot save himself by his works and therefore cannot maintain his salvation by his works.

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9) not as a result of works, that no one should boast.

Nor is sin an issue in salvation. The issue in salvation is faith in Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

And who are those who are sanctified but those who have believed in Christ.

Acts 25:18 ''...in order that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'

Once a person believes in Christ for salvation he is justified by the work of Christ on the Cross in which Jesus paid the penalty for all sins. No one can commit a sin for which Jesus Christ did not already pay the penalty for it. Therefore, no believer can commit a sin which will cause him to lose his salvation. Jesus Christ already died for that sin. Sin in the believers life is handled as a family matter as per Prov. 3:11-12; Heb. 12:5-13; Rev. 3:19-21.

Of course, the eternal security of the believer is not a license to sin and in no way implies that a person should just live it up after salvation. It is in fact, a license to grow up spiritually.
Totally agree with you and thanks for this great reply! We are living in a world of sin so I don't believe those of us that believe in him have to be in panic over sinning because Jesus have already took care of that because God knows we live in a world of sin so there's no way we can exist in this world and be sinless. It's not humanly possible.

For example, say you get your car detailed and you park it in the garage. Even if you never drive it again, after a certain amount of time that car will have accumulated dirt although it was spotless when you first parked it in the garage. But do to nature, its not possible for it to remain spotless and its going to get dirty eventionally.We could never be sinless while here on this earth just like that car could not stay clean forever.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
But you still have not answered my questions about whether or not you believe the fat lady and the drug addict will go to hell. "Slipping" is sinning and you seem to be contradicting yourself.
I have answered it several times, but I think you don't like the tone of my 'voice', and you refuse to see my point. That's ok. In both examples you need to ask if their sins are willful. If these persons are saved, then the holy spirit would point out their sin, and they would fight it, and the sins would not be willful. If they are saved, they are going to heaven. Period. These kinds of stuggles are good opporties to exmine oneself's faith. The people in your example can look in the mirror and ask themselves how they react to their sin. If thet feel horribly guilty about it, then it is an indication that the Holy Spirit makes them sensitive to sin. If it doesn't bother them, then they need to ask more questions, because it is possible they were never saved.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Corinthians 13:5-6

Examine yourself by Paul Washer. I think your aunt would enjoy it.

YouTube - Paul Washer sermon jam 1

How do you know that you are saved?

How do you know that you are saved? « Real Christianity

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-03-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
God distinguished between sins of ignorance which could be forgiven (not unto death) and presumptuous sin which was not forgiven (sin unto death.)

Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have answered it several times, but I think you don't like the tone of my 'voice', and you refuse to see my point. That's ok. In both examples you need to ask if their sins are willful. If these persons are saved, then the holy spirit would point out their sin, and they would fight it, and the sins would not be willful. If they are saved, they are going to heaven. Period. These kinds of stuggles are good opporties to exmine oneself's faith. The people in your example can look in the mirror and ask themselves how they react to their sin. If thet feel horribly guilty about it, then it is an indication that the Holy Spirit makes them sensitive to sin. If it doesn't bother them, then they need to ask more questions, because it is possible they were never saved.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Corinthians 13:5-6

Examine yourself by Paul Washer. I think your aunt would enjoy it.

YouTube - Paul Washer sermon jam 1

How do you know that you are saved?

How do you know that you are saved? « Real Christianity
NO, you haven't. It is a yes or no question and all I've been getting is the royal runaround. I understand what you are saying as far as sin and how one needs to examine themselves. But my question....again.....is whether or not you believe the fat lady and the drug addict will go to hell??

Yes or no please. And I don't like Paul Washer....something about him rubs me the wrong way so I'll pass.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Jesus said "Many are called but few are chosen". Most who claim belief in Jesus have been called but have never gone on to repentance and the new birth. They are not really "new creatures" in Christ Jesus.

Jesus also said that the way that leads to life is narrow and few there be that find it... many called but *few* (Greek - a puny number) find the way.

God Bless,
Verna.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
NO, you haven't. It is a yes or no question and all I've been getting is the royal runaround. I understand what you are saying as far as sin and how one needs to examine themselves. But my question....again.....is whether or not you believe the fat lady and the drug addict will go to hell??

Yes or no please. And I don't like Paul Washer....something about him rubs me the wrong way so I'll pass.
Then pass, and if you want to prevent your aunt from seeing it, then that's your bad.

And I will not explain the same thing to you for the fourth time, since you will just repeat the question again. Quite obviously it is not up to me to say who goes to hell or heaven. I am not God. It is not a yes, or no answer since it depends on the the status of their relationship with Christ.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Jesus said "Many are called but few are chosen". Most who claim belief in Jesus have been called but have never gone on to repentance and the new birth. They are not really "new creatures" in Christ Jesus.

Jesus also said that the way that leads to life is narrow and few there be that find it... many called but *few* (Greek - a puny number) find the way.

God Bless,
Verna.
Amen.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then pass, and if you want to prevent your aunt from seeing it, then that's your bad.

And I will not explain the same thing to you for the fourth time, since you will just repeat the question again. Quite obviously it is not up to me to say who goes to hell or heaven. I am not God. It is not a yes, or no answer since it depends on the the status of their relationship with Christ.
Now was that so hard? You needn't explain anything to me.....I've always known what sin is. You finally answered the question by saying you DON'T KNOW. There it is.

Just because I don't care for Paul Washer and his tactics does not mean I'm preventing my Aunt from anything. Hearing that over-dramatized garbage is going to do what for her exactly? What is it with people who are so enamored with him? He grates on my nerves.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Now was that so hard? You needn't explain anything to me.....I've always known what sin is.
The question was not what sin is, the discussion was about the difference between willful and unwillful sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity