Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Why wouldn't He? He made a HUGE sacrifice for us.
He commands us to observe communion as often as we meet...when is the last time that any of you has been to a church that does this?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyfromNC View Post
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me remove the speck from your eye"; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Matthew 7:1-5
Many misuse that verse as a defense against there own sins...scripture says to make a righteous judgement...even though it may come from someone commiting the same sin does not negate the validity of it...

Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,568,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Many misuse that verse as a defense against there own sins.
I can't remember when I last saw it used legitimately. It's usually a big flapping flag to signal the presence of false teaching.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
I wonder where that came from. Not my posts- perhaps those of others. It's embarrassing that the two common names for this religious observance are pagan and Jewish- but this is not an embarrassment I wish to pursue.

I asked whether Jesus wants Easter- not meaning either the Jewish Passover, or the feast of Ishtar- but annual observance of his resurrection. The reply I received was not an answer. So the conclusion I came to, rightly or wrongly, was that people don't know that Jesus wants annual observance of his resurrection. Now if proposed Christian theology/behavior is not certainly known to be of Christ, those who propose it do not know that it is not a teaching of demons.

If however, people can show that Jesus wants annual observance of his resurrection, this possibility can be eliminated.
I've eliminated both Christmas and Easter from my life for i see no command to observe them but communion...

Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,568,986 times
Quote:
I've eliminated both Christmas and Easter from my life for i see no command to observe them
...and you're not so presumptuous as to add to divine precept.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why on earth wouldn't you trust me to voice my own opinion accurately. The fact that we don't agree on the topic doesn't mean that I haven't told you the truth about what I believe. What is it you want anyway?
I believe rabbits lay eggs...i haven't seen one do it in 45 years but that doesn't mean it is not a fact....i know i will one day see a rabbit lay an egg...because i believe it...just because it is not written in the Bible does not mean it is not true...

Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Whoa, I just came back from the 12:30 service and it was crazy.

The darkness of last night must have provided some cover. It was broad day light and the fashion show was just top class

Some of the cleavages were so nasty the communion giver could accidentally get nervous and drop the cup

These people, WOW
Obviously they missed the part of scripture that speaks about how women should adorn themselves in church...but, hey, that was 2000 years ago, it does not apply to today....or does it?...

Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I'd have to say no, and loudly. Why would he? He was horribly, unfairly and cruelly tortured, and though days later, supposedly on the anniversary we call Easter, he did rise from the dead- but at what cost?!? Why, after how Jesus lived, loved and gave in his life would he wish for us to remember the absolute worst weekend of his life- despite the fact that some people rationalized his death and made it "work" for them?!? Those of you who know Jesus know that he NEVER wanted ANY religion to be based on him, so I'd be hard pressed to believe he'd be a big fan of our Easter celebrations. Therefore I doubt he'd take issue with how people dress and adorn themselves when they go to their preferred place of worship to celebrate a day that I'm sure he'd rather forget anyway. Besides- who cares how others dress?!? If people are actually happy and excited enough to come to church or wherever wearing what they consider their "sunday best", then who are any of us to judge them?

I can agree that Jesus is worthy of praise, each and every day. But, I'm sorry- I don't happen to believe that said praise should be for his death, but rather for his LIFE. Again, I know it is my own personal belief here, and my belief clearly differs from a lot of those of you on here, but I'd prefer to focus on what he did when he was alive, not on anything regarding, nor about his death which, to me, was a huge, horrible mistake.

But Jesus didn't have any "victory" over death. He died. To me that's a loss, not a victory...? Despite the fact that many people view his death as a blessing unto themselves, as if Jesus actually wanted to die how he did and meet an early demise to cut short that which he could have further taught and shared...he was murdered/crucified/killed...that isn't victory over death, that is just death!

I guess with this weekend everyone is all about the martyr thing, but I'll just never get it. Even when I was Christian we never really focused on the death of Jesus, more about the fact that he was a wise, thoughtful and loving man, and that we should all be more like him! Except for the getting crucified part, that is...but then it is always those who speak out and make people think and open their minds that are usually persecuted while alive...and then worshipped when they're gone....
Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,169 times
I stay home from church on most holidays. I don't like the crowds or fashion shows.

Anyways, come to think of it, I haven't attended church in months. I've had too many disappointments, and too many questions and bitterness toward God. Therefore, it would be ludicrous for me to attend church on Easter, Mother's Day, etc. when I haven't had the heart to go for months.

I don't like the church phoniness of the "holier than thous". I don't like when people say, "It was God's will", when bad things happen. Makes me want to slap them. Try telling that mess to the families of the Virginia miners. Try telling that mess to the 9/11 families, etc.

I don't see how folks can be so excited about God right now. Just don't see it (and please don't preach at me about it; you don't know what I'm going through).

I went slightly off topic, but whatever ...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,169 times
Quote:
I've eliminated both Christmas and Easter from my life for i see no command to observe them but communion...
I certainly understand that, and don't blame you ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity