Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
What people forget is that during the time of Christ the pharisees had created over 300 man made laws pertaining to the Sabbath that were completely nonsensical. Rules like, you can only take so many steps from your front door, or if you spit on the ground during the Sabbath then you are irrigating your field. These are the things which Christ spoke against regarding the Sabbath that had made it a "burden" for people. Christ, when He said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, was telling them that He created the Sabbath to be a blessing for man. The only thing Christ commanded regarding the Sabbath was to A) Keep it Holy, and B) Not work. Doing those things isn't being legalistic it is being obedient. Legalistic is what the Pharisees were, and what those 300+ laws they came up with were all about, these laws were not about loving God. Ceasing from work and keeping His day Holy are all about loving God. You are absolutely right that God is our judge, and if I some how gave you the impression that I am judging you I do apologize. The reasons why you do what you do are ultimately between you and God. I just hope that you understand that following God is more important than following man. I hope you understand that God can still provide for you and your family if you stand up for Him in spite of what the dictates of man are. I hope you understand that it is the same Law that says don't lie/steal/or take God's name in vain, also says that the 7th Day of every week is Holy, and asks us to refrain from work and keep it Holy. I am not judging I am simply stating facts.
Ok, your 'facts' have been stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
What people forget is that during the time of Christ the pharisees had created over 300 man made laws pertaining to the Sabbath that were completely nonsensical. Rules like, you can only take so many steps from your front door, or if you spit on the ground during the Sabbath then you are irrigating your field. These are the things which Christ spoke against regarding the Sabbath that had made it a "burden" for people. Christ, when He said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, was telling them that He created the Sabbath to be a blessing for man. The only thing Christ commanded regarding the Sabbath was to A) Keep it Holy, and B) Not work. Doing those things isn't being legalistic it is being obedient. Legalistic is what the Pharisees were, and what those 300+ laws they came up with were all about, these laws were not about loving God. Ceasing from work and keeping His day Holy are all about loving God. You are absolutely right that God is our judge, and if I some how gave you the impression that I am judging you I do apologize. The reasons why you do what you do are ultimately between you and God. I just hope that you understand that following God is more important than following man. I hope you understand that God can still provide for you and your family if you stand up for Him in spite of what the dictates of man are. I hope you understand that it is the same Law that says don't lie/steal/or take God's name in vain, also says that the 7th Day of every week is Holy, and asks us to refrain from work and keep it Holy. I am not judging I am simply stating facts.
...excellant post HalfNelson.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...excellant post HalfNelson.
Thank you so much, Verna. It is a joy to know there are truth seeking people like you, out there. God Bless.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
What was nailed to the cross ?

The first Adam

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What was nailed to the cross ?

The first Adam
Watch the video!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Watch the video!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
6For we know that our old self was crucified (Adamic nature) with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Paul

Old 05-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
6For we know that our old self was crucified (Adamic nature) with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Paul
So does that mean we are then free to sin? No. then what is sin? Transgression of the law.

If we lived in a country that said it was ok to steal, would you steal? Why not?
because it violated mans law or God's law? Why is the fourth commandment, any different than the other nine? the reason I don't steal or murder is not because it is against the laws of man, but because it is against the law of God. There are unfortunately too many Christians that keep God's laws because they are in harmony with those of man and not the other way around. The reason early christians were fed to lions was because, when laws were made by man that demanded the violation of God's law, they would not capitulate. there will soon be a time, even in a country like the United States, where man will make laws demanding the violation of God's law, and it is this time in which God's people will truly be tested, in wether or not they stand for truth.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
So does that mean we are then free to sin? No. then what is sin? Transgression of the law.

If we lived in a country that said it was ok to steal, would you steal? Why not?
because it violated mans law or God's law? Why is the fourth commandment, any different than the other nine? the reason I don't steal or murder is not because it is against the laws of man, but because it is against the law of God. There are unfortunately too many Christians that keep God's laws because they are in harmony with those of man and not the other way around. The reason early christians were fed to lions was because, when laws were made by man that demanded the violation of God's law, they would not capitulate. there will soon be a time, even in a country like the United States, where man will make laws demanding the violation of God's law, and it is this time in which God's people will truly be tested, in wether or not they stand for truth.
As long as you do things and do not do things because they are "laws" . . . you are NOT spiritually maturing. When you no longer do things because you no longer WANT to because they are not loving of God or your fellow human beings . . . THEN you are spiritually maturing and pleasing God.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As long as you do things and do not do things because they are "laws" . . . you are NOT spiritually maturing. When you no longer do things because you no longer WANT to because they are not loving of God or your fellow human beings . . . THEN you are spiritually maturing and pleasing God.
Sorry if you got the impression that I don't believe what you just said to its fullest. The reason I follow God's laws, is not because they are laws but because of what He did for me on Calvary. The reason I have no issue with referring to God's 10C as "laws" is because I know that they are "laws" of love. I cannot claim to love God and yet violate His law, without being a liar. It is funny to hear good meaning Christians say that the 10C can not be kept, and that is why we need grace, when my bible tells me that I can "do all things, through Christ" even keep His law. Christ writing His law upon our hearts is the whole process of having such a close relationship with Him, that our every desire will be to walk in harmony with His 10C law.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Sorry if you got the impression that I don't believe what you just said to its fullest. The reason I follow God's laws, is not because they are laws but because of what He did for me on Calvary. The reason I have no issue with referring to God's 10C as "laws" is because I know that they are "laws" of love. I cannot claim to love God and yet violate His law, without being a liar. It is funny to hear good meaning Christians say that the 10C can not be kept, and that is why we need grace, when my bible tells me that I can "do all things, through Christ" even keep His law. Christ writing His law upon our hearts is the whole process of having such a close relationship with Him, that our every desire will be to walk in harmony with His 10C law.
The 10C are too minimalist . . . the 2C from Jesus are far more all-encompassing. There are far more things that we should refrain from doing that would indicate a lack of love for our fellow human beings. There are also far more things we should be doing that reflect our love for one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity