Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,021,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Okay, you're right. Being a Christian is really easy. Thanks for enlightening me on what it's like to be a Christian from someone who isn't one.
I'm glad you see the truth now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Ah, yes. Let's just hang around with "Christians." Let's wall ourselves off from the world.

Where would the world be today if the early Christians walled themselves off from the world? Dead.

And this is what Jesus said? Like to the 500 he sent out?

And then find a Bible-teaching church. Oh, yes. Let us build a faith around a tome of writings. Let us put the Law back into Christianity.

Why not a church that teaches the philosophy of the Christ: love one another. Be a light to the world. Witness by living a life that shows the uncompromising, undiscerning, non-discriminating love to all people, regardless of background, faith, and the effects of being brain damaged, which we all share as a common disease.
I agree!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
I don't know. I've noticed that the first thing people do when they "turn their life over to christ" is obesess over "sins", especially everyone elses. I hate to say this but in my experience those people don't end up staying in the faith for very long because it's just superficial faith anyway.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,028,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know. I've noticed that the first thing people do when they "turn their life over to christ" is obesess over "sins", especially everyone elses. I hate to say this but in my experience those people don't end up staying in the faith for very long because it's just superficial faith anyway.
That very well seems to be the case. I was very discouraged in the early years of my walk with God, and quite frightened and dismayed. However, everyone goes through the baby stage of being a new believer. I think this is just a normal feeling for a babe in Christ - to be very sin conscious. The following scriptures come to mind when I think about being a babe who needs milk:

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation - 1Peter 2:2

What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. - Galatians 4:1

And so, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I am absent, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. -
Philippians 2:12

Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,954,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Jesus hung with the people the religious said to stay away from. And in fact was accused of being like them.
Jesus shared the Gospel (the good news) with those sinners who would hear him. He did not hang out with them to socialize. He was on a mission. Matter of fact, Jesus referred to sinners as being sick and in need of a physician.

Luke 5
[30] But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
[31] And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
[32] I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

But, if people don't want to hear the Gospel, then we are to separate from them.

Luke 9
[4] And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
[5] And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

We must learn how to rightly divide the Word of truth. We want sinners to repent, so we share the good news with them. However, if all they want from us is to be a part of the world and socialize, then no way. This includes family members.

2 Cor. 6
[17] Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
[18] And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,089 times
Quote:
Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
That's hanging out with them.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,043,447 times
In Matthew 10:7-42.... Jesus said go tell the world, you will be persecuted from all that rejects the truth, but Jesus is your witness and everything you do through Jesus will be noted in Heaven and the rewards will be for you, your relatives may be against you and try to push you away but Jesus will never leave you or forsake you.... if you lose friends or famliy or land for Jesus you will be rewarded hundred fold,,,,, but you must obey the commandments of Love your neighbour as yourself through all the presecution that the world puts you through.... Jesus said ``cheer up for I have overcome the world.``...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity