Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 PM

76,968 posts, read 47,836,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I know full well what I said and it is a fact.
I take it that means you did not comprehend what I meant? ok, never mind....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,567,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Kat, by showing them the truth, you are loving them. Jesus wants us to live in TRUTH! He doesn't want us to be following something that isn't true. If you believe in x,y,z why wouldn't you show them why x,y,z is true? Correcting someone isn't being unloving. "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness that the man of God may be adequate , fully equipped for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16-17
Those other things are semantics... in the grand scheme of things what does it matter if you believe there are angels or a heaven afterlife? BUT if you believe some go to one place because they believe and some go to another because they don't believe... then you become, IMO, a respecter of persons and also

Quote:
I'm friends with many Christians who believe in hell and they are loving, have joy, peace, kindness, etc.. Why do you think that believing in hell makes someone not have the fruit of the spirit? There are people on this forum who believe in UR, who are so far from being loving, and there are people here on this forum who believe in hell and are so far from being loving. Having the fruit of the spirit isn't gone when one believes in hell and it doesn't come when one believes in UR.
I didn't mean to imply that the fruits of the spirit NEVER manifest in the behavior of hell-believing christians, but that when defending or talking about the NON-existence of hell they do not display those things.

It is the separation of Good people (heaven-bound) and Bad people (hell-bound) that causes the Good people to look down on the Bad people. So a hell-believer is super sweet to a fellow hell-believer because they both agree they are heaven-bound or Good people. BUT try telling them you believe there is no hell... Then you are considered one of the Bad people or hell-bound! That is when you are looked down upon, told your beliefs in Christ and God are useless because you must believe in hell....

With UR there is no reason to hurry up and get someone to change so they can avoid hell. We have plenty of time now and later to discuss the rest of the different views.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,969,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I take it that means you did not comprehend what I meant? ok, never mind....
You can take it how you like. I stated a fact, and it stands.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,234,272 times
Quote:
I see what your saying, it would be a difference of opinion here. So someone believes Jesus was born in jerusalem, so what? An example of religious posturing if someone actually thinks that is an important matter at all.

You might believe someone is damned to hell for believing Jesus was born in Jerusalem.
Why is this so complicated? They say they believe in the Bible. If they believe that Jesus is born in Jerusalem, but the Bible says he's born in Bethlehem, then clearly their source of Jesus' birth in Jerusalem is false. If that source (BOM) is false and their religion is based on that source then their religion is false. This is pretty important if you ask me! It was an example! They believe Jesus is a god, but not God. Does this example suit you better? My goodness this is tiring!

My entire point: Universalists correct people who believe in hell, but other beliefs, even if easily proved wrong in scripture, are ignored. I see it all.the.time.

And again, we are off topic. I'm not going to discuss this anymore.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Those other things are semantics... in the grand scheme of things what does it matter if you believe there are angels or a heaven afterlife? BUT if you believe some go to one place because they believe and some go to another because they don't believe... then you become, IMO, a respecter of persons and also

I didn't mean to imply that the fruits of the spirit NEVER manifest in the behavior of hell-believing christians, but that when defending or talking about the NON-existence of hell they do not display those things.

It is the separation of Good people (heaven-bound) and Bad people (hell-bound) that causes the Good people to look down on the Bad people. So a hell-believer is super sweet to a fellow hell-believer because they both agree they are heaven-bound or Good people. BUT try telling them you believe there is no hell... Then you are considered one of the Bad people or hell-bound! That is when you are looked down upon, told your beliefs in Christ and God are useless because you must believe in hell....

With UR there is no reason to hurry up and get someone to change so they can avoid hell. We have plenty of time now and later to discuss the rest of the different views.
Truth is SO important. It's not relative and thus I desire to know the truth. I won't lead people away from the truth purposely and if someone is going away from the truth I show them why they are going away from the truth because it would be unloving not to! I don't believe people in hell are bad. I believe we are ALL unrighteous but by God's grace He sent His son to die so that we might live! The Bible says "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 10:13. I am not better than anyone else. I ask for God's forgiveness often because I sin. I won't boast! It's a daily struggle to live my life to glorify the Lord Almighty. I think you have a distorted view of people who believe in hell. I would NEVER look down upon the lost. I pray fervently for them.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,969,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Why is this so complicated?
It isn't. I will gladly share with a mormon the truth of assurance of their standing with God if I hear them speak of an eternal doom based on any kind of religious instruction.

The rest is insignificant in the long run. Same as nonsense like the trinity and the rapture, even if you think an etrnal hell is true, not believing in the rapture or the trinity will not cause anyone to go there, is it BS and religious trash so say any such thing.

Quote:

I'm not going to discuss this anymore.

ok

Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,798,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In the Bible
=========
Luke 13:20-27 Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

"Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'
"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

In the UR world:
=============
The man "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

Jesus: No, everyone is saved, don't be silly.
Finn,

This was spoken to the Jewish people -- those that ate and drank with him -- in 70AD he said to that nation I do not know you and that nation was given judgement that had been prophecied by Jesus and the OT about their rebellion against God and him.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It isn't. I will gladly share with a mormon the truth of assurance of their standing with God if I hear them speak of an eternal doom based on any kind of religious instruction.

The rest is insignificant in the long run. Same as nonsense like the trinity and the rapture, even if you think an etrnal hell is true, not believing in the rapture or the trinity will not cause anyone to go there, is it BS and religious trash so say any such thing.

ok
ok

Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I haven't been "told" anything except by the Bible itself......it says it right there in plain sight!! The rest of the Bible is not a lie and I can't believe you would say that. Are you saying that the Bible contradicts itself? Then you need to start looking at it through different eyes other than the ET ones you're using and really understand what the Bible is saying about "hell" and what that means. If you're going to read John 3:16, then you need to read in context and read the following scripture to understand:

John 3:17

17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

You can't understand the full picture unless you read with eyes wide open, in context, and without previous bias and indoctrination. And with the Holy Spirit's guidance.
Ilene,

So true --- that is the key -- The Holy Spirit leads and needs our eyes open, it can be hard for some to let go of indoctrination and bias.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well thank you very much Kat!!! It IS truly amazing how fast the information comes flooding in once one opens the gate to the truth.....simply amazing!! Thanks again, I also am learning a great deal from your posts and others also!
Yes it is amazing how fast the information pours in ..... I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with Kat it is so good to see the change in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity