Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You can take it how you like. I stated a fact, and it stands.
You said UR has nothing to offer, but of course you were just bickering over the word 'offer'. I was only asking you if you understood that I said, I didn't ask you what you said. I already know what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:40 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,955,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said UR has nothing to offer, but of course you were just bickering over the word 'offer'. I was only asking you if you understood that I said, I didn't ask you what you said. I already know what you said.

There is no bickering when it is not about an offer in the first place.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
There is no bickering when it is not about an offer in the first place.
That's why it's called bickering. You clung to the word 'offer' as if that was the point of the original post, when it clearly wasn't.

ok, enough of this. Over and out.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,955,558 times
Quote:
That's why it's called bickering. You clung to the word 'offer' as if that was the point of the original post, when it clearly wasn't.

ok, enough of this. Over and out.

You are the one bickering, I stated a fact, if that bothers you it is not my problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,197,579 times
An interesting point is that God is sovereign, and ultimately doesn't "offer" anything:

Creation, depravity of man, Calvary, and His will that all are encompassed within His plan are not alternative in nature: they were/are/will be done without our consent/permission.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
An interesting point is that God is sovereign, and ultimately doesn't "offer" anything:

Creation, depravity of man, Calvary, and His will that all are encompassed within His plan are not alternative in nature: they were/are/will be done without our consent/permission.
You guys can bicker all day long about the word "offer" in order to divert the discussion away form the point. If you pretend to not understand how the word "offer" is, or can be used, then that is simply too bad. You are disagreeing simply for the sake of disagreeing. Most people would understand the meaning.

If someone asks "what does Jesus offer us", a person who understands the question might say "He offers us salvation. Jesus said "I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46). Or one might answer "he offers eternal life. Jesus said "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life; and I Myself will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:37-40)".

But no, the UR fans refuse to understand the question and argue over the technical meaning of the word 'offer'. You have just given us a textbook example of the word "BICKER".

Definition of "bicker": quibble: argue over petty things.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,543,626 times
Quote:
You guys can bicker all day long about the word "offer" in order to divert the discussion away form the point. If you pretend to not understand how the word "offer" is, or can be used, then that is simply too bad. You are disagreeing simply for the sake of disagreeing. Most people would understand the meaning.

If someone asks "what does Jesus offer us", a person who understands the question might say "He offers us salvation. Jesus said "I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46). Or one might answer "he offers eternal life. Jesus said "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life; and I Myself will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:37-40)".

But no, the UR fans refuse to understand the question and argue over the technical meaning of the word 'offer'. You have just given us a textbook example of the word "BICKER".

Definition of "bicker": quibble: argue over petty things.
The difference between "offer" or "invite" and God is in control is quite huge... and not petty.. IMO

You believe that there is an offer or invite and one must accept that offer or invite... UR says God is in Control... He does the gathering.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,115,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
What Calvinism are you talking about? Calvinism uses "TULIP" to explain what it is. The "L" is the opposite of what you just said! And by the way, take out the "L" and you pretty much have Universalism! You might want to give that some thought since you say you're a Calvinist who doesn't believe in limited atonement!

Calvinism's "TULIP" (The simplistic version)
T -- total depravity. This doesn't mean people are as bad as they can be. It means that sin is in every part of one's being, including the mind and will, so that a man cannot save himself.

U -- unconditional election. God chooses to save people unconditionally; that is, they are not chosen on the basis of their own merit.

L -- limited atonement. The sacrifice of Christ on the cross was for the purpose of saving the elect.

I -- irresistible grace. When God has chosen to save someone, He will.

P -- perseverence of the saints. Those people God chooses cannot lose their salvation; they will continue to believe. If they fall away, it will be only for a time.
Sciotamicks, I don't know if you missed this post or chose to ignore it, but I really am interested in your answer. Can you be a Calvinist and not believe in limited atonement? I thought that belief was the main thing that distinguished it from other doctrines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity