Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 AM

672 posts, read 665,917 times

Advertisements

God's double decree of predestination !

Rom 9:11-23

11(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth )

12It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

God's double decree of Predestination, that from all eternity, not based upon anything of His creatures, neither good nor evil, God did detemine that some of His creatures should have everlasting life, and that some should have everlasting damnation on account of their sins.

Prov 16:4

4The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

God made the wicked for the day of evil, that is for their day of destruction to be meted out to each one of them in the day of His wrath and Last Judgment.

Job 21:30

That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,954,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Versus Freewill. (Something other than Universalism-pleeze)

Romans 8:29. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (NKJV)

IMO this scripture links freewill and predestination. God knew in advance (foreknew) who would choose Christ. We live our lives and make freewill choices. Some choose Jesus, some say no thanks.

Discuss.
Why put in place limitations to the outcome of a discussion? If universalism (regaurdless of whether you fully understand the term) is the scriptural conclusion are you willing to accept that?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,566,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Why put in place limitations to the outcome of a discussion? If universalism (regaurdless of whether you fully understand the term) is the scriptural conclusion are you willing to accept that?
After a year you ask this?

See date of post #1.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,992,417 times
Quote:
Versus Freewill. (Something other than Universalism-pleeze)

Romans 8:29. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (NKJV)

IMO this scripture links freewill and predestination. God knew in advance (foreknew) who would choose Christ. We live our lives and make freewill choices. Some choose Jesus, some say no thanks.

Discuss.
The "might" of verse 29 is not the "might" of doubt but the "might" of certaintiy since it is in the subjunctive mood.

I have a pen in my hand. I loose my grip on the pen that it might be falling. The falling of the pen is contingent upon my loosing my grip on it.

Christ being firstborn among many brethren is contingent upon those already predestined. He will be firstborn among many brethren because those many brethren were predestined. It has nothing to do with the mythological free-will.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
After a year you ask this?

See date of post #1.

I never look at the date, it came up on the first page so I read it. But I wonder, does a year going by then invalidate your post and my question?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I never look at the date, it came up on the first page so I read it. But I wonder, does a year going by then invalidate your post and my question?
Yes it does. Says so on page 6 of the TOS.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 PM

672 posts, read 665,917 times
Quote:
Yes it does. Says so on page 6 of the TOS.
So is this a closed thread or what ? If so, I will start antother one on this topic.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
So is this a closed thread or what ? If so, I will start antother one on this topic.
No. It was a joke: thus the

Phazelwood wanted to turn this thread into, yet another, UR vs orthodox theology postfest.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
No. It was a joke: thus the

Phazelwood wanted to turn this thread into, yet another, UR vs orthodox theology postfest.
I find it interesting that instead of answering questions you make it sound like what I posted was wrong.

So really, why do you want the answers to your OP limited? If the biblical answer is something other than what you believe now, are you willing to accept that? Isn't that what seeking truth is about?

Is it wrong that I ask a question?

It makes a lot of sense though, the sect of Christianity that I grew up in made critical thinking something from the devil. A place where I was spiritually dead. Even though critical thinking is one factor in seeking truth.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that instead of answering questions you make it sound like what I posted was wrong.

So really, why do you want the answers to your OP limited? If the biblical answer is something other than what you believe now, are you willing to accept that? Isn't that what seeking truth is about?

Is it wrong that I ask a question?
Umm if you can discuss Predestination vs Freewill then fine. That's what the point of this thread was a year ago. I know your itchin' to interject UR theology. Hey I don't own this thread so do what you will.

As for me, I lean towards Freewill, but wonder sometimes if some people are predestined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity