Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

My wife's Liberty with 3.7 4x4 automatic starts and runs nice and smooth if you give it gas, but letting off the pedal it dies. I used the OBD II scanner and there are no codes. I am thinking fuel filter, it has 80,000 miles and that has never been changed, and she got gas the day before it started this. Unfortunately that's in the tank. Anyone had similar symptoms, or changed their filter before?

We're expecting snow this week, and I still have the Ranger 4x4 but hope to get it fixed fast. I have to work this weekend so will probably have it towed to my mechanic to start on it Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 PM

401 posts, read 557,521 times
I had this idle problem with a pick-up truck. Ran fine but would not idle. Took it to the auto shop and they installed some sort of electronic idle sensor. Fixed the problem.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
It is more than likely a battery related problem. Just because the battery starts the car, doesn't mean it doesn't have problems. I own both a Jeep and a Dodge, and have experienced this same problem a couple of times on my own vehicles, as well as on other Chrysler products. In fact, this is a fairly common complaint on the Jeep forums I haunt.

I suggest you have the battery load tested and the alternator checked for output.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
I am not a jeep expert but there has to be a fuel filter somewhere outside of being inside of the gas tank. Fuel pressure can be checked with a gauge attached to the fuel rail on the engine. I would first add a can of SEAFOAM to the gas to clean the injectors before I spent any money trying to solve the issue.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
There is no fuel filter outside the tank. Chrysler uses what they call a life time filter. They claim it will be good for 100,000 miles plus but it only takes one bad tank of fuel to plug it. But what you describe is not what I would call a fuel filter problem.

It sounds like an idle control motor problem also known as an IAC in the auto repair world. They get carbon and gunk bilit up on them and can start sticking.

As for the battery being the problem that is just not possible if the alternator is working.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Im very surprised that there is no serviceable fuel filter on this expensive vehicle. I cant understand why they would make a car that wouldn't have one. I have serviced many makes of cars and trucks for many years and NEVER seen an engine with no fuel filter that the owner could not replace NEVER Thanks for letting me know this as my opinion of Chrysler has dropped to a new low.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Jeep Repair: Jeep Liberty Fuel Filter, rear cargo area, fuel system components

Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Nice link. I'll have him start with the battery, after all it's 9 years old.
It sounds like the filter comes off by itself, is it worth replacing the pump
at the same time at 80k miles? I'm thinking not, since you don't have to drop the tank, and probably several hundred for the pump.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
T
As for the battery being the problem that is just not possible if the alternator is working.
You must not know Jeeps very well.

Curly

Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
I used to work a a Dodge dealer first as as service tech then a service writer. You have no idea how hard it is to try and explain to a customer that it costs $300 to change a fuel filter. As for the battery most dealers will see that it is old and tack that on as an unneeded replacement for some extra cash.

Not sure if you know how warranty work is billed out but I can fill you in quick why dealers rip people off and why I quit.

If the book rate (flat rate) said it takes 1 hour to do a repair the tech gets paid .6 hours so he/she has to either cut corners or find something else to pill the customer for that is no under warranty or they are loosing money.

To the OP sorry for hijacking your thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram