Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times

Advertisements

Bought a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan in May of this year. Bumper-to-bumper ran out 2 months after we bought it. Driver's control panel in door stopped working a few weeks later (this controls the power mirrors, all the door locks and all the windows). Window was stuck closed - which I could live with for awhile until we could come up with the money to fix it. However, my hubby had his key fob in his pocket over the weekend and leaned against the fence... and we found out that pushing the unlock button twice and then holding it down will roll all the windows down in the van .

The control panel pops right out of the door in one unit and has a simple plug-in on the bottom that connects it to the wiring. Unfortunately, these are stupid expensive. The dealer was no help - they said their service department would remove the door panels to fix it. When I asked why... the told me that it was standard procedure for door malfunctions. We KNOW that the motor works because it put the window down just fine. We have tried using the control panel from the passenger side, but it didn't work (I think the wiring is different).

Any experience with this? What haven't I thought of? It's getting to be a mighty cold drive to work .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
See if there is a small circuit breaker in the fuse panel. This has happened a couple times in my GTO, and in trying to figure out the problem I realized that the small silver fuse-sized device in the fuse panel is a circuit breaker. I pulled one out, plugged in one from another slot, and the windows would start working. So I swapped back, and the windows were still working. For whatever reason they trip, although I can't see why, but once they're unplugged and sit for a couple minutes, they work again. I won't bother trying to figure out the problem because it's only happened 4-5 times in the 7 years I've owned the car.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Default CAll CHRYSLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Bought a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan in May of this year. Bumper-to-bumper ran out 2 months after we bought it. Driver's control panel in door stopped working a few weeks later (this controls the power mirrors, all the door locks and all the windows). Window was stuck closed - which I could live with for awhile until we could come up with the money to fix it. However, my hubby had his key fob in his pocket over the weekend and leaned against the fence... and we found out that pushing the unlock button twice and then holding it down will roll all the windows down in the van .

The control panel pops right out of the door in one unit and has a simple plug-in on the bottom that connects it to the wiring. Unfortunately, these are stupid expensive. The dealer was no help - they said their service department would remove the door panels to fix it. When I asked why... the told me that it was standard procedure for door malfunctions. We KNOW that the motor works because it put the window down just fine. We have tried using the control panel from the passenger side, but it didn't work (I think the wiring is different).

Any experience with this? What haven't I thought of? It's getting to be a mighty cold drive to work .
Please call Chrysler, they have a 800 # for customer service. If your local dealer doesnt want to help you, go to another if possible. Make it clear to the folks @ Chrysler, ask for help, ask for them to Goodwill the repair under Warranty. Loyality works 2 ways. Be polite and positive.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You can get a new control panel from a scrap yard. Shop around there is a huge difference in price between varius scrap yards.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I had to replace the window controller in my 2002 Buick. Luckily my local recycle yard had a similar car just come in. I pulled the part and even replaced the door panel. The power relay on the controller had become intermittent and was part of the printed circuit board.

After trying to get Chrysler to fix it get a replacement form a recycle yard. They will know which ones fit what.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
They have to take the door panel off because the problem is down inside the door. It is not the switch on the door. This is a common problem on the Chrysler minivans. Trust me. It is not the control panel on the door. I can't stand when dealers won't tell the truth. I didn't think the problem would still exist on your generation of the van, but it clearly is still a problem. I have had this problem on three different Chrysler minivans ranging from 1988 to 2005 model years. After being fixed once, the problem has never returned yet.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
My Mitsubishi left rear window was stuck in the down position.
There was a central control on the left driver side that controlled all 4 windows and all 4 door locks.
So, yes, the right door window switch is wired differently.
We have a U-Pull-It yard. I removed the rear door panel and replaced the left rear window switch for less than $7.00 and that included the $1 per day warranty in case the one from the parts yard was defective. It is a simple repair. No wires to cut, etc. Just unplug the old one and plug in the new one from the parts yard. U-Pull-It has locations all over the country maybe near you.
Other smaller parts yards will often let you go walking into their yard to get what you need. Others may require their employee to pull the part.
Electrical repairs can get expensive, so I'd avoid a dealer at all cost.

Actually the nationwide chain is called Pull-A-Part. Highly recommended. I got a rear glass for $21 and a starter for a similar price.

Used Auto Parts For Less - Pull-A-Part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram