Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Is it normal for a new Dodge Hemi engine to make a clacking sound? It sounds like a diesel sometimes!! I have been to the Dodge Dealers shop twice and they tell me it is normal, but I have never heard it with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Clacking? As in...... Is it only when it is idling? Some cars w/ a high performance engine that is meant to GO, not sit still will have a sound that sounds like it is skipping like the timing is off.
Google the car and problem and see if there is a forum where owners have posted about the car and see if it is something unusual or normal.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Is it normal for a new Dodge Hemi engine to make a clacking sound? It sounds like a diesel sometimes!! I have been to the Dodge Dealers shop twice and they tell me it is normal, but I have never heard it with others.
If it is as loud as a diesel and it is new I would suspect that to be an abnormal sound (perhaps something in the valve train). If it is a lite tapping sound at idle then I would think it may be the oil pump and thats normal. You didn't say if the problem is on acceleration, decleration or idle. If you see a diesel truck on the road (perhaps a Ford F350, GMC, Chevy or Dodge pickup) look at the rear tailgate you will usually see an emblem if it's a diesel. If you can drive alongside it and get a feeling of what a true diesel sound is and compare that with the sounds from your vehicle. Also you may want to try another dealerships service and get a second opinion. I have seen and heard many new generation hemis on the road and I think I would have noticed that type of noise comming from them. Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 AM

Found out what it was, it is known as the Hemi Tick dealerssay it is normal because they dont want to fix the issue, which is bad exhaust valves, lots of hemis have it i guess.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Don't go back to the dealer!!!! I know it sounds stupid because your car's probably under warranty...but they don't fix what they're supposed to. Believe me, it happened twice with the same car for me (I finally learned my lesson and took it to my own mechanic).

Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Found out what it was, it is known as the Hemi Tick dealerssay it is normal because they dont want to fix the issue, which is bad exhaust valves, lots of hemis have it i guess.
That sounds like a lame excuse. Have you searched the net for some forums for people w/ this car and their compaints and how it was resolved? Also look on msn and under autos and check out the reviews and see what is said there. If there is a problem and they told you THAT, then they are aware of it but are too lazy to fix it.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM

We are going to take it to an independent mechanic have the diagnos the issue then take it to the dealer and tell then to fix it, it is under warranty and I guess they have to rip through the engine to fix it, so it would be to expensive to have a mechanic do it. Thanks for everyones input.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,230 times
ford & chevy dealers are getting bad on doing warranty work also. a local dealer was told to do what they could to reduce warranty work, it saves the manuf. money.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
I wouldn't buy that. Not for a nickle. If the dealer is telling you the car has an exhaust valve problem but he's not going to fix it than it's a problem. First off try to find out if there's a technical service bulletin about your problem. TSB's is a cute little acronym the manufacturers like to use to prevent a full blown recall. It's kind of like admitting there's a problem but they ain't gonna fix it. Oddly if your a real good customer and make enough noise your car will be fixed. By the way Ford has a program where they routinely fix cars after they are out of warranty. They call it a good faith repair. They like to do that for certain customers. Usually the ones that bring their car in for every service that the vehicle service service manual calls for. That costs a fortune over the life of a car. The dealer figures he's made his money on you and you'll keep comming back for more. If your state has a lemon law keep bringing it back for the same problem and document it. I would find it hard to believe that the dealer will say there is a valve train problem but won't fix it and put it on paper. Also try some of the Chrysler forums on the web. See if others are experiencing the same problem as you and what the remedy was. You can also try www.aldata.com or www.tsbdata.com. If there is a TSB on your vehicle it will be there. You may have to pay a small fee for the info. but you'll be armed and dangerous then. If worse comes to worse try contacting the State Attorney Generals office. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease or in your case the squeaky valve gets the fix. Stand up for you rights. Good luck! P.S. I just went to the www.dodgeforum.com. Seems like there are many people complaining about the "Hemi Tick". Looking over it briefly it seems there is no TSB on it yet. (I would still check) Some say you can remedy the problem by going to a 5W-20 synthetic oil. The only thing I can see about changing the oil is there may be a problem with the lifters and that synthetic oil flows better through them. If a lifter pumps full of oil you will get a tap. Maybe thats the sound. Try the oil and a high quality two stage oil filter. See if it makes a difference, it can't hurt. Once again good luck!

Last edited by exhdo1; 10-19-2006 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 PM

Actually we talked to another dodge hemi owner that had the same problem, we havent gone back to the dealer yet, we want a second opinion from someone other than the dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram