Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM

51 posts, read 106,230 times

Advertisements

I've never owned a Jeep, but have recently started to consider them just because of their versatility. I currently own a Camaro convertible and LOVE being able to put the top down and just cruise. I just don't want to give up the convertible. However, I occasionally have a need to haul woodworking supplies or furniture and I obviously can't do that with the Camaro. Also, I have three teenage kids and while they enjoy the Camaro for short rides, to go on vacation or anywhere further than an hour away I have to either rent a larger vehicle or borrow one of theirs. So, I've considered buying a crew cab truck (I like the F150). I could use the truck whenever I need to haul stuff or people, while continuing to use the convertible when driving just myself. However, trucks are SO expensive. Plus, that means two insurance payments, two tax payments, two maintenance bills, etc...

It seems like a 4-door Jeep Wrangler (with towing package) could serve both purposes. Enough room for four adults to ride comfortably, even with the top up. Remove the top and I've got the convertible and a small space in the back to haul "stuff". If I need to haul something larger, just hookup a small trailer. At around the same purchase price as a Camaro, and much less than a F150 crew cab, I would get some of the functionality of both vehicles in one. Obviously wouldn't have the acceleration and handling of a Camaro or the hauling ability of the F150, but, it seems like it would provide some functionality of each.

Any thoughts from someone who has owned one?

Last edited by ZTeam; 05-29-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Sounds like you should take the plunge and get one as it checks the boxes for you. At least take an opportunity to test drive the model. I don't know why they're so expensive. In the past they've had very poor ratings for reliability, so that's cause for pause.

I owned one many, many years ago, a short wheel based two door version. It was horrible, the worst rig I've ever owned. Looked macho as hell but in fact was wimpy as a kitten. No durability whatsoever. Boy was I glad to get rid of it!

Today's models must be better.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
IIRC, along about 2008 my son and I bought an '06 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in CA. We did a few mods on it (bumpers, winch, lift, tummy tuck, skid plates, 30 gallon gas tank, etc.) and I drove it for a few years. Then it started making strange noises in the engine that we didn't want to deal with, so my son traded it for a Dodge Ram truck.
We just found that Jeep on craigslist. The asking price is $100 more than we paid for it so many years ago!
Now and then, bargains can be found, however.

Last year, we found an '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for less than 10 grand. No rust, no problems. High miles, but that's OK, I don't mind. It is perfect for towing behind the motorhome.
We are happy.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTeam View Post
I've never owned a Jeep, but have recently started to consider them just because of their versatility. I currently own a Camaro convertible and LOVE being able to put the top down and just cruise. I just don't want to give up the convertible. However, I occasionally have a need to haul woodworking supplies or furniture and I obviously can't do that with the Camaro. Also, I have three teenage kids and while they enjoy the Camaro for short rides, to go on vacation or anywhere further than an hour away I have to either rent a larger vehicle or borrow one of theirs. So, I've considered buying a crew cab truck (I like the F150). I could use the truck whenever I need to haul stuff or people, while continuing to use the convertible when driving just myself. However, trucks are SO expensive. Plus, that means two insurance payments, two tax payments, two maintenance bills, etc...

It seems like a 4-door Jeep Wrangler (with towing package) could serve both purposes. Enough room for four adults to ride comfortably, even with the top up. Remove the top and I've got the convertible and a small space in the back to haul "stuff". If I need to haul something larger, just hookup a small trailer. At around the same purchase price as a Camaro, and much less than a F150 crew cab, I would get some of the functionality of both vehicles in one. Obviously wouldn't have the acceleration and handling of a Camaro or the hauling ability of the F150, but, it seems like it would provide some functionality of each.

I own a 2015 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon (4 door Hard Rock) and a 2002 Jeep TJ Sport (2 door).

While 4 adults can fit in our JK, the comfort part is questionable. My wife is 5'10" and so am I. If she sits behind me I have to move my seat forward 2 clicks and she barely has room for her knees. It makes for a slightly uncomfortable driving experience. My 13 year old is 5'11, and he complains about his knees being in the back of my seat on longer trips.

The JK and later models have "some" cargo space, but a quick trip to the grocery store for us pretty much packs it out. If you plan to take the freedom top out and store it in the case that rides in the cargo area you'll be severely limited to space and weight of what will be sitting on top of the panels.

You'll definitely need to make sure whatever you pull is short and light weight. They're not known for a lot of power and acceleration already suffers as is. It won't take much to really bog it down.

I would suggest a full sized SUV like a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition/etc.... based on what you want it to do.

However, at the end of the day if you can enjoy the Jeep for what it is... (off-road fun and on-road cruising with the top off) they are a blast to own. We love ours. Be prepared for a big trade off though in terms of comfort, space, and capacity.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTeam View Post

Go to the dealer, check it out, I got into the back seat of a W last year...wasn’t pretty.

I own a 2016 Jeep Latitude 4x4 6cyl, gotta love it, my graveled driveway is 1/2 mile up my mountain...
might say I live off road, it snows and we don’t plow, no problem, never got stuck.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Update for anyone considering a Jeep as their primary vehicle with kids.

After a 7 hour trip to the beach this weekend with the Rubicon:

2 adults - 5'10" each
3 kids - 1 = 5'11", 2 = 4'3" ea

Contents:
3 small beach chairs, one collapsible umbrella, two food bags, 1 case of water, 1 case of soda, 2 8" x 14" bags with food, two collapsible backpack coolers, 1 26-qt. hard cooler.

On the trip down the only thing we could fit in the cargo area was the large suitcase, the beach chairs, the drinks, and food bags (stacked up to seatback height). We had to purchase a hitch mount cargo carrier for the cooler, umbrella, and two smaller suitcases. To note: The total weight on the hitch was ~250 lbs. You could feel the weight distribution change and the Jeep felt slightly light in the front end as compared to nothing on it. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable.

On the way home we stuck the cooler, umbrella, and the sandy chairs on the cargo rack. Everything else crammed into the cargo area due to storms.

It was a decent ride for the first 2 hours. After that it was beginning to feel cramped. About hour 5 we were all fairly uncomfortable and after hour 7 we were chomping at the bit to get out. On the way home by hour 6 my right leg had completely gone to sleep and my hip was cramped up.

I wouldn't recommend this as a vacation vehicle unless you are going without backseat passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram