Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times

Advertisements

We bought my soon to be 16 year old a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport today, has 177k miles and was in shockingly excellent condition.
It was extremely hard to find one, we actually had to go to the adjoining state to get it.

So, for those who have experience with these, what are the pros and cons? Are there "problems" these SUVs typically have that I need to prepare for?

This is the first time I have bought a used car with this kind of high mileage so I am a bit nervous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
We bought my soon to be 16 year old a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport today, has 177k miles and was in shockingly excellent condition.
It was extremely hard to find one, we actually had to go to the adjoining state to get it.

So, for those who have experience with these, what are the pros and cons? Are there "problems" these SUVs typically have that I need to prepare for?

This is the first time I have bought a used car with this kind of high mileage so I am a bit nervous....

Sounds like a good buy! Milage is the last thing I would be concerned about. Especially if it has the inline 6.

Everything you need to know about these things can be found here:

Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums - JeepForum.com

Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Great SUV, should run forever. That 4.0 is a strong motor. The 2000/2001's had issues with cracked heads. But with 177k miles I would imagine, that problem has been fixed, or it isnt going to happen. Jeep fourm is a very knowledgeable place. Cherokee Talk is a good one too.

http://cherokeetalk.com/

Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We had a 1989 that was still running at 190,000 when we traded it in on a 1997. That one was still doing great when we traded it in at about 120k. Both were pretty much trouble-free.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:28 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
The drivetrain of the Jeep (especially with the 4.0 engine) is extremely stout.

The main problems people have with Jeeps are little electrical issues, like the radio going out, or the window regulators failing. Nothing that would prevent you from getting from A to B.

It's a good choice for a 16 yr old's first car. Even if something does break, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the car itself is very easy to work on yourself if he is mechanically inclined at all (since you bought a Jeep, I'm guessing someone in your family knows their way around a car and already knows this.)

Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 AM

No, unfortunately my husband knows NOTHING about fixing cars! But I do have a reliable mechanic I can depend on that is a personal friend and I trust him, and my dad also can do smallish fixes/repairs.

He put a remanufactured motor in it about 10k miles ago.

The only thing we have found is that the driver's side back door does not unlock with the remote, you have to unlock/lock manually. We can live with that and may fix that at some point if its easy and cheap.

Thanks for all the info! I think we made a good choice, and it was actually what the teen wanted so a win-win for all! We are mainly concerned about his safety and it seems these are pretty safe. I'm going to drive it around for work today, its definitely a departure from my Bimmer

Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The drivetrain of the Jeep (especially with the 4.0 engine) is extremely stout.

The main problems people have with Jeeps are little electrical issues, like the radio going out, or the window regulators failing. Nothing that would prevent you from getting from A to B.

It's a good choice for a 16 yr old's first car. Even if something does break, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the car itself is very easy to work on yourself if he is mechanically inclined at all (since you bought a Jeep, I'm guessing someone in your family knows their way around a car and already knows this.)
This. I had a 2001, loved it. Bought it when I was 19, traded it in 10 years later, only had 80,000 on it. Wanted something more comfortable...wound up getting a Grand Cherokee haha. The only "major" issue I had with mine was the heat soak TSB from Chrysler - drive it around, cut it off, then restart it 20 minutes later on a hot day and it would run rough for a minute then throw a check engine line for a cylinder 3 misfire. Took the dealer a bit before they actually checked for TSB's, the fix is an update to make the fan turn on sooner and put an insulator on the Cyl 3 fuel injector. Other than that, great vehicle, very easy to work on. Beast in the snow with good tires.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the great info and links!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
Had a 1999 until November 2012. Good car even with fairly poor maintenance by me. Got rid of it because of gas mileage and more importantly for the last 3 months I could not safely drive on highway (death roll).

Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Death wobble can usually be corrected fairly easily, usually it involves getting a beefier steering damper and a new track bar, that's it. Had it last year with our Grand Cherokee, $120 and an hour or two of my time took care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram