Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at cars a lot. I know a few collectors. It is easy to see what is hot now and what is desirable. It is not always so easy to pick out a car that will become collectible in the future. Many people can see a car that sells for a lot of money and say that they used to own one of those. I hear people say all the time that they remember when a specific car was affordable.

Two cars that I have looked at may just end up being the car to have in the future.

One is the Ford Thunderbird built from 2001 till 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_T..._generation%29

The other car is the Chrysler Crossfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire

Let me know what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Neither of those cars were liked very well.

Honda S2000. Likely Honda's last RWD sports car what with the NSX having gone AWD. Sure to increase in value.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have been looking at cars a lot. I know a few collectors. It is easy to see what is hot now and what is desirable. It is not always so easy to pick out a car that will become collectible in the future. Many people can see a car that sells for a lot of money and say that they used to own one of those. I hear people say all the time that they remember when a specific car was affordable.

Two cars that I have looked at may just end up being the car to have in the future.

One is the Ford Thunderbird built from 2001 till 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_T..._generation%29

The other car is the Chrysler Crossfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire

Let me know what you think

Both were duds......Thunderbird was a throwback car to when they were desirable and Crossfire was Chrysler's attempt to make a Mercedes knockoff at a lower price point.

The Honda S2000 would be a better bet.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have seen some duds make it into the collector market. Both of these cars were built in low numbers. I like both of them. A friend that owns a 57 TBird, a 67 Mustang, and a few other cars picked up a 2005 T Bird and mentioned that it will more than likely become a collector car.

I am really impressed with the Crossfire. You can find some amazing examples that are in very good condition for way under $10,000.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If Aztec can become a car club car, these certainly can.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
They will have their following, but they really don't have all the characteristics that usually make up a top collector car in general. Their volumes were still way too high for true rarity, even though the volumes are low for production car values. Add the fact they were market place duds, and the future classic interest is bound not to be too high either. Lets not pretend they were great sports or GT cars, top in their class, and they just got ignored either. They were really performance disappointments in the marketplace, underperforming sports cars and roadsters costing they competed with, and some priced considerably lower.

Years down the road, they will not be too common and therefore, will be interesting and unique. They also may not end up worthless. They just won't be commanding an overabundance of money either.

The exception could potentially be the Crossfire SRT-6. Particularly the SRT-6 roadster. The volumes of those are very low. Lack of present day interest won't help though.

Personally, I have always really liked the Crossfire. I thought it was a cool and unique styling direction at the time. I thought they drove ok too. I just do not see them as a true collectible.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
While there will always be a certain number of enthusiasts of one car or another and clubs supporting them, the real classic cars are those that people remember from their youth, when they first started driving (and wish they had one then). Back in the late 60s-early 70s there was the great muscle car era, and teens lived for the day they could get their license and drive. Many did their own maintenance, upgrades and even customization. Now most cars look alike, and few young drivers know a box wrench from a ratchet, never mind the complications of the modern vehicle such as ECM and PCM. Add to that the delay in getting a license, with social media replacing the need to hang out in someone's car. I don't expect any cars of the 90s or beyond to become collector cars or classics, other than maybe the Hellcats and Vipers, Ford GT, and foreign super cars such as Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
probably the mid 00's Pontiac LS1/LS2 GTO and LS3 G8 GT/GTP as well as the original NSX with the early 00's mid-model face-lift Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 with the Viper V-10, 2005-2006 Ford GT

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 PM

528 posts, read 823,101 times
I currently own a 2005 Crossfire Roadster and I think that 30 years or so down the road it may become collectable. I will probably be gone by then so I plan on driving mine into the ground. The car has a quite rabid fan base and there will no doubt be low mileage pampered examples running around in 2046. I think the Thunderbird and the Cadillac xlr offer the same level of future collectability.

How collectable a car becomes can sometimes have little to do with how popular that vehicle was when it was released. Lets face it, 30, 40 or 50 years from now anything still around form the 80's, 90's or 2000's will have some collectability to it, especially sport or performance models.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
My son has a Plymouth Prowler and a Ford Coupe. Both are collectibles, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram