Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,870 times

Advertisements

As others have said, Chrysler has been junk for DECADES now, they're just hanging on by a thread and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiat sell off Jeep (because it's Jeep), Ram (trucks) and Dodge (muscle cars).

Don't know who would want to buy Chrysler LMAO, they literally only make 2 models, the 200 and the 300, wasn't impressed by either of them at any point in their history. Having Chrysler associated with your brand would be a "kiss of death".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,249,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think you think way too deep into this. You either like a car or you don’t. If you like the new Wrangler, who cares if they killed off the Eagle Talon over 20 years ago? We’re talking about cars not running the company. That’s the shareholder’s problem.

There’s been a lot of cool cars and brands killed off by everybody in the past 20 years. Pontiac was just getting their act together when they got axed. Toyota killed off the Supra and later the MR2, Nissan killed off the 300ZX, Honda killed the NSX for awhile, and later the S2000. The sports car market as a whole has been getting decimated.
Wrong. The moves a company makes has direct relevance on whether you may like a car or not.

I've bought Jeeps, by the way, quite a few of them over the years. They have their quirks, build quality was sloppy (I've never had another car in my life where I could change the radio station by pressing the driver's seat memory buttons!)

You may like a car by a manufacturer, but if that manufacturer has a history of making bad business decisions, then it's only a matter of time before the car you like will be subjected to cost cutting, or eliminated altogether, whether it's a good vehicle or not. That also affects owners who already bought the cars... as factory support goes away, parts become harder to find, and dealerships and service centers forget about the model and forget how to work on them. I experienced that first hand with my Dodge Stealth. Forget about taking it to a Dodge dealer, they knew nothing about them.

Funny you bring up Pontiac. I think most everyone would agree that killing them off was a mistake, so not sure how you're helping your argument here.

Toyota did kill off the Supra and MR2... and is bringing back the Supra shortly. In the meantime, their Lexus division came out with the LFA, a supercar. I'd say they traded up.

Nissan killed off the 300ZX... the same way they killed off the 280ZX, they UPGRADED. They came out with the 350Z, now 370Z, and let's not forget, the GTR, which was a huge step up the ladder in performance. Again, not helping your argument.

Successful car companies don't kill off their lucrative models forever. Hindsight being 20/20, I've rarely seen a case where a company has done that and it hasn't been considered a huge mistake. Take GM and the Fiero and the Grand National. People are STILL wanting them to bring those models back and they've been gone for 30 years. But they couldn't allow any other car to eclipse the Corvette.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:50 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,434,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
As others have said, Chrysler has been junk for DECADES now, they're just hanging on by a thread and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiat sell off Jeep (because it's Jeep), Ram (trucks) and Dodge (muscle cars).

Don't know who would want to buy Chrysler LMAO, they literally only make 2 models, the 200 and the 300, wasn't impressed by either of them at any point in their history. Having Chrysler associated with your brand would be a "kiss of death".
Chrysler is not hanging on by a thread there sales are going good they are making their heavy duty pickups back in Michigan. They are going to make a newer redesign of the 300, a new Jeep pickup, and their chargers and challengers are selling very well their scat pack and Hellcat are among the nicest looking cars on the road, you instantly know what it is when you see it on the road. Fiat has not going to sell Chrysler. I love it when people who have no idea about the automotive industry all of a sudden say Chrysler is hanging on by a thread stop believing everything you read on line.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1F42IJ

Old 03-10-2018, 12:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:

Stop embarrassing yourself. Chrysler's two cars are the Pacifica and the 300 and both are selling well. They could just sell one car and still survive. They're a brand not a company. Nobody cares if you don't like the 300. Remember that.

Also, you probably didn't hear this under the rock you've been living under, but they're far from hanging by a thread. Their stock price has doubled in the past year and sales are strong. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki.../#2d97eb843159

Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM

12,976 posts, read 9,674,444 times
Quote:

The 2012 Chrysler 300SRT 8 I had sure wasn't junk. It was a mix of luxury and performance, and with a 6.4 hemi on tap and 470 horses, it could blow the doors off many cars from Europe costing twice as much. I had not one issue with that car and it was a real sleeper, and a very rare car to see on the road, Chrysler only made a handful of them for the 2012,13, and 14 model years.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Wrong. The moves a company makes has direct relevance on whether you may like a car or not.

I've bought Jeeps, by the way, quite a few of them over the years. They have their quirks, build quality was sloppy (I've never had another car in my life where I could change the radio station by pressing the driver's seat memory buttons!)

You may like a car by a manufacturer, but if that manufacturer has a history of making bad business decisions, then it's only a matter of time before the car you like will be subjected to cost cutting, or eliminated altogether, whether it's a good vehicle or not. That also affects owners who already bought the cars... as factory support goes away, parts become harder to find, and dealerships and service centers forget about the model and forget how to work on them. I experienced that first hand with my Dodge Stealth. Forget about taking it to a Dodge dealer, they knew nothing about them.

Funny you bring up Pontiac. I think most everyone would agree that killing them off was a mistake, so not sure how you're helping your argument here.

Toyota did kill off the Supra and MR2... and is bringing back the Supra shortly. In the meantime, their Lexus division came out with the LFA, a supercar. I'd say they traded up.

Nissan killed off the 300ZX... the same way they killed off the 280ZX, they UPGRADED. They came out with the 350Z, now 370Z, and let's not forget, the GTR, which was a huge step up the ladder in performance. Again, not helping your argument.

Successful car companies don't kill off their lucrative models forever. Hindsight being 20/20, I've rarely seen a case where a company has done that and it hasn't been considered a huge mistake. Take GM and the Fiero and the Grand National. People are STILL wanting them to bring those models back and they've been gone for 30 years. But they couldn't allow any other car to eclipse the Corvette.
I don't know why they kept Buick and killed Pontiac, but apparently it was the right move as they're doing just fine. The Fiero? Come on. Nobody in the entire planet wants another Fiero. You're making it really hard to take you seriously.

The Jeep Wrangler doesn't have any, nor ever had any memory buttons. You can rest assured the Wrangler isn't going anywhere anytime soon. You can still buy parts for a Jeep CJ today. You'll have a harder time getting Dodge Stealth parts because nobody bought them in large numbers and hence, they killed them off. You get a rarer car, part availability becomes an issue.

The LFA is overpriced junk that they gave away to celebrities. Nobody wants an LFA. They'd rather have 2 Ferraris for the same price. If you bought an LFA, people would assume you just paid $50K for it. It's an example of what not to do.

FCA has doubled in value in the past year. They're not going away anytime soon.

Toyota killed off the Supra because it wasn't making money. They didn't care if you liked it or not. If they bring it back after 20 years it's not because you want it, but because they think it'll bring in money. If it doesn't it'll get killed again. They don't care what enthusiast on a bunch of forums want.

What you consider lucrative and what the company finds lucrative are not always the same thing. People still buy Lexus even though the LFA was killed off 6 years ago.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,434,227 times
I live by many Chrysler plants the sterling hgts stamping plant, the sterling assembly plant, the Warren stamping plant and the Warren Truck assembly plant for Chrysler to be hanging on by a thread you couldn’t tell by all the employees cars in the plants parking lot. People believe all the fake news, fo those who still believe they are hanging by a thread try talking people who actually work for Chrysler instead of guessing.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I live by many Chrysler plants the sterling hgts stamping plant, the sterling assembly plant, the Warren stamping plant and the Warren Truck assembly plant for Chrysler to be hanging on by a thread you couldn’t tell by all the employees cars in the plants parking lot. People believe all the fake news, fo those who still believe they are hanging by a thread try talking people who actually work for Chrysler instead of guessing.
To be honest, I think all auto manufactures are doing well these days. The economy bounced back, interest rates are low, and cars are rapidly improving in both reliability and features. None of them are against the ropes. Even the one's that never make a profit (Tesla).

For FCA, they used to be my least favorite brand, but now I find that I like more and more of their lineup.
I love the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Pacifica, all the Hellcats and Demons, the Durango, the entire RAM lineup, Fiat 124, Challenger, the newest Charger, and the Alpha Romeo 4C.

For Honda I can't think of anything at all. Maybe the newest Accord. The Civic looks like a child designed it.
Nissan....nothing.
Infiniti...not anymore.
Ford...Mustang, GT, F-150
Chevy...Corvette, Camaro, Silverado, Volt
Cadillac....CT6
BMW....I8
Mercedes Benz...the entire non SUV lineup
Audi....the whole lineup
Porsche...Boxter, some 911s, Caymen, the new Mission E or whatever
Tesla....nothing. Hope the entire brand dies a horrible death
Volkswagen....nothing...maybe Atlas
Toyota....nothing at all.
Lexus....not till they change that stupid Darth Vader grill.
Mazda....Miata, CX9
Volvo....entire lineup as of 2017.
Mini...Countryman, Convertible...sometimes.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don't know why they kept Buick and killed Pontiac,

The Buick name is big in China.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Buick name is big in China.
So is Lifan. Doesn't mean we need to keep it alive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram