Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 9,051 times

Advertisements

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that cranks but won't start. In the past it would start but shut off in the middle of intersections and when going up hills but it would fire right back up.

Now it won't start at all just cranks like it wants to start but it won't.

The check engine light is not on when it was running and all the gauges would show everything was fine.

I would appreciate what ideas everybody has of what could be the problem and how much it would cost.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
There are so many possibilities for those symptoms, one can only guess without testing. Does it still have the original fuel pump? I would start there. The dying fuel pump will often stick at times, especially going up hills, then stop completely. I have had them replaced in two different vehicles, at $500-600. The pump itself is $150-200, but the labor may have to include draining and dropping the tank. Most have no access through the floor. It could also be the $10 fuel pump relay, but that is rare good luck.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 9,051 times
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the suggestions. The fuel injectors were replaced a few years ago along with the fuel pump. I also forgot mention it has 98,000 miles on it. The radiator and the shocks were just replaced.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
There is a list of things that could be the culprit. Remember, an engine needs 3 basic things to start.

1. Fuel

2. Spark

3. Air

To make sure it is getting fuel (and enough of it) you have to make sure the fuel pump is turning on. If the pump doesn't turn on, check the fuel pump relay first. If it's not blown and you can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to the "ON" position, then you will need to verify fuel pressure. If the relay is good and the pump doesn't kick on, the pump is bad. If the pressure is too low, either the fuel pump is bad or the filter is clogged.

If it has plenty of fuel pressure, then move on to spark. If it were running rough I'd say check ignition coils, but if it doesn't run at all it could be the crank position sensor. You can check for spark with a spark tester, or remove one spark plug, place it into the ignition coil (coil over plug), lay it next to something metal and turn the car over while having someone watch to see if the spark plug makes sparks. If it does, it probably isn't spark. If it doesn't spark, the crank position sensor is the likely culprit.

Air is fairly simple. You could have a completely plugged intake (unlikely), or one heck of a massive vacuum leak, which should be large enough to see if it doesn't start.

OR....... it "could" be the neutral safety switch that doesn't let the car start because it thinks the car is still in gear.

There are a myriad of things to check, so it might be best to take it to a mechanic unless you are mechanically inclined. I would start with getting the ECM scanned for stored codes. It doesn't necessarily have to throw a Check Engine light to have stored codes. That will likely pinpoint the problem.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Has the fuel filter been replaced? Fuel filters should be replaced every 15,000 miles and should be accompanied by a complete fuel system cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram